By CHQ Staff | 7/9/13

One of the more despicable tactics of the proponents of S. 744, the Obama – Rubio amnesty for illegal immigrants bill, is that opponents of Senator Rubio’s amnesty bill have no arguments other than prejudice to justify their opposition to the bill.

This is a typical tactic of the left and one that is helping to unravel support for Senator Rubio and the 1,197 page monstrosity of a bill that Rubio and his cohorts in the Senate “Gang of Eight” put together and managed to push through the Senate in a series of shameful backroom deals.

Normally, one would expect the establishment media to identify the false choices presented to justify the deals behind S. 744, but the editorial page writers and TV pundits (who generally oppose the cheap labor wing of the business community who are major supporters of S. 744) have been happy to ignore the bill’s devastating impact on American-born workers and taxpayers to enable Rubio in his attacks against his fellow Republicans who oppose his bill.

Fortunately, the opponents of amnesty have taken a different approach – they are actually reading Rubio’s bill, making the rational arguments against the S. 744 approach and taking those arguments to the public.

The Rubio approach is perhaps best exemplified by an exchange between constitutional conservative Congressman Raul Labrador (ID-1) and The New York Times in-house "conservative" David Brooks on Sunday’s “Meet The Press.”

Brooks teed-up the “intellectual weakness” argument thusly:

(BROOKS) “They are here, you know, I’ve seen a lot of intellectually weak cases in this town. I rarely seen as intellectually a weak case is the case against the Senate immigration bill. The Republican say they want to reduce illegal immigration. The Congressional Budget Office says the Senate bill will reduce it by a third to a half. They said they want economic growth. All the top conservative economists say they’ll produce economic growth. They say you want to reduce the debt. CBO says it will reduce the debt. All the big major objectives the Republican stand for, the Senate immigration bill will do. And so the-- the other things they’re talking about are secondary and tertiary issues whether we get 86 percent border protection or 90 percent, compared to the big things this bill does, they’re minuscule. Mystified by what…”

Representative Labrador’s response went right to the heart of the case against S. 744.

REP. RAUL LABRADOR (R-ID): “I’m-- I’m sorry, but what-- what I just heard was totally ridiculous. If-- if you listen to what the CBO said, they said that it’s going to be between a third and 50 percent reduction in illegal immigration. That means that every five years, we’re going to have to do another Reagan amnesty.” (emphasis added by CHQ.)

“What the American people want is a secure border. They understand that there is going to be economic growth. And I agree that there’s going to be economic growth when you have immigration reform, that’s why I’m a big proponent of immigration reform, but for somebody to sit here on national TV and say that that it is actually a weak argument for us to argue that we want something like 90 percent security, I think it’s-- it’s actually beyond the pale..."

"There’s two-- two components of the law that we need to-- that we need to change. For example, the-- the ICE agents have told us that if they could work with the local communities, with the local law enforcement agents, they would be much more effective in securing our-- our interior. The Democrats do not want any local enforcement of immigration laws. We do it with drug laws. We do it with all these other things where-- where we have these task forces between the federal-- federal and state and local agencies, and the Democrats do not want to do with immigration. We could do that and we could curtail a lot of the illegal immigration. There’s a lot of other things that we can do to make this law stronger.” (emphasis added by CHQ)

First, Labrador knocks-down the idea that the Gang of Eight bill is the only solution to the public policy challenges brought about by two decades of failed border security policy – it clearly isn’t.

Proponents of the Gang of Eight amnesty for illegal immigrants legislation being promoted by Senator Rubio, and steered behind the scenes by President Barack Obama, would like Republicans, and especially conservatives, to believe that the choices on immigration reform are the Obama – Rubio approach of S. 744 or nothing.

This is an outrageous lie that shows just how disingenuous the proponents of “reform” have become in their attempt to railroad a bill through Congress.

Almost by definition a “comprehensive” bill on any subject that gets Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer and President Obama enthusiastically behind it is going to be contrary to conservative principles and bad for Republicans politically.

And as Representative Labrador showed David Brooks and the audience of “Meet The Press” on Sunday, the Gang of Eight bill is no exception.

Senators Jeff Sessions, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul put forward intellectually honest proposals to advance border security and deal humanely with illegal immigrants – and had every one of them shot down by Rubio and Team Obama.

Chairman Bob Goodlatte and Representative Lamar Smith have taken an intellectually honest approach, so far, in the House Judiciary Committee’s deliberations on border security and immigration reform. Let’s hope Chairman Goodlatte was listening as Representative Labrador made the case that the leftwing tactics being used by Rubio and the establishment proponents of S. 744 are indeed “beyond the pale” and will act accordingly.

We urge you to let your Congressman know NOW that you oppose anything remotely resembling the Senate immigration bill.

Most importantly, between now and July 10, call your Congressman’s office (Capitol switchboard is 1-866-220-0044) and tell them to OPPOSE bringing S. 744, the Obama – Rubio immigration amnesty bill, to the House floor. Tell them you want border security, not amnesty for illegal aliens.

http://oneoldvet.com/

http://www.conservativehq.com/articl...o-amnesty-bill