Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Interview: Joe Arpaio, Arizona sheriff, immigration firebran

Interview: Joe Arpaio, Arizona sheriff, immigration firebrand

Thu Aug 19, 3:06 pm ET
    By Tommy Acosta, Associated Content

SEDONA, Ariz. -- Smack in the middle of Arizona's immigration controversy, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio stands center stage.

Arpaio is a sought-after public speaker because he promotes strict enforcement of immigration laws, tight border security and opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Arizona's immigration bill, currently the focus of a legal battle between the federal government and Arizona, requires police officials making vehicular stops or arrests to ask for immigration papers if there is reasonable suspicion to do so. SB1070 makes failure to carry immigration papers a state crime and also penalizes anyone who hires illegal immigrants or transports them.

A U.S. district court has ruled to temporarily suspend key points of the law. But Arpaio, widely known as "the toughest Sheriff in America," is not slowing down and has arrested and jailed more than 40,000 illegal immigrants.

Arpaio, revered by those who support his policies and despised by others for his treatment of prisoners, has been hit with numerous lawsuits. Prisoners have died in his jails. Human-rights activists follow him and demonstrate at public appearances.

Elected Maricopa County Sheriff in 1993, Arpaio initiated numerous changes in the county's penal system that include feeding prisoners only twice a day with green-bologna sandwiches, forcing prisoners to wear pink underwear, not allowing smoking in his jails, forbidding correspondence in envelopes to curb the mailing of contraband and creating prison-chain gangs to clean up communities. He's also housed prisoners in "Tent Cities" where temperatures exceeded 115 degrees under the Arizona sun.

The following is an Associated Content interview conducted with Arpaio as he was returning from a speaking engagement at a Tea Party rally on the Arizona-Mexico border.

AC: How long have you been in law enforcement?

Arpaio: I got 50 years experience. OK? I was a cop in Washington D.C. I was a cop in Las Vegas. I worked as a federal drug agent all over the world. I was the only U.S. federal agent in Turkey and the Middle East. I was regional director of our agency in Mexico. I worked in Panama and Argentina. I worked four years in South America. I was in charge of many law enforcement offices in the United States. I retired after 27 years in the Federal Government. I served 17 years as sheriff.

AC: Many people on the street seem to love you, especially those who want SB1070. There are those in political positions who don't like you at all. What gives?

Arpaio: Not everybody loves me. There are a few others in the United States, activists and some politicians who don't like me, but I don't care. I represent the people. I was elected. I don't care about politics or bureaucrats. I report directly to the people and I take it serious.

AC: How do you feel about those who are against SB1070 and who protest against you?

Arpaio: They have the right to their opinion. They have freedom of speech. It is getting pretty nasty with the charges of racism during demonstrations. But I am a big boy. I made my bed and I sleep in it. I don't regret anything. Like the Frank Sinatra song "My Way" says it: "I took the blows and did it my way." Better said is: "I took the blows and did it the people's way."

AC: Do you think SB1070 has a chance of becoming law?

Arpaio: I think it does. I support it. I'm still going to continue doing what we are doing and that is supporting our state immigration laws. It is business as usual with us.

AC: If the meat of SB1070 never makes it into law, what avenues are left for those who support cracking down on illegal immigration?

Arpaio: As far as the law being enforced, we are enforcing the state laws we already have. We have investigated, arrested and detained over 40,000 illegals. We're doing OK. We are still going to lock them up.

AC: What states do you expect to follow Arizona's lead?

Arpaio: They are all talking about it. I hope it's not just because it is an election year. After the elections, will they still be talking about it?

AC: How much time during the day do you spend talking and thinking about illegal immigration?

Arpaio: What do you mean talking about it? I don't just talk the talk. I walk the walk. More than 40,000 illegals being arrested is not "talk."

AC: You are listed as co-chairman of an organization called Ban Amnesty Now along with Sen. Russell Pierce (R-Mesa). Why are you against amnesty for illegal immigrants?

Arpaio: They used my name as honorary chairman of BAN. I am totally against amnesty but not just because it is an economic, political or social problem. I have a different problem with it. It's called fairness. My mother and father came from Italy and legally entered the country through Ellis Island. We have millions of people from around the world who want to become U.S. citizens legally. We have so many illegal aliens here. Why should they get amnesty? It is an issue of fairness.

AC: How does SB1070 differ from your department's style of enforcing existing immigration laws?

Arpaio: We've been enforcing the state laws. We have been locking up co-conspirators. We've been raiding places. They are taking jobs from U.S. citizens. I should get an award for helping the economy.

Content provided by Associated Content from Yahoo!

More from Associated Content:

Fighting foreclosures in Arizona: One man leads the way

Ariz. residents find freedom, protection under new gun law

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl3 ... Yr2s0NUE;_
    ylu=X3oDMTNqdDBiMGRoBGFzc2V0A3luZXdzLzIwMTAwODE5L3 luZXdzX3BsMzQ0MARjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9
    wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzUEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5b l9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNpbnRlcnZpZXdqb2U-
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sheriff Joe...nothing more needs to be said about him. He is a true American patriot and hero to everyday Americans. We need a thousand more like him.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836