Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ireland backs U.S. legalizing illegal aliens

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20051 ... _page2.htm

After doing a google search on him, I found this, Ahern is a deeply religious politician. A devout Roman Catholic, he has twice visited Lourdes with his late mother and he attends Mass every Saturday evening in the Pro Cathedral in Dublin.

President George W. Bush accepts a bowl of shamrock from An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern during a ceremony celebrating St. Patrick's Day in 2005.

Ireland backs U.S. legalizing illegal aliens
    By Stephen Dinan and Jerry Seper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    December 2, 2005

Ireland's government wants the United States to legalize Irish illegal aliens in the United States, underscoring the intense interest foreign governments are showing in the immigration debate now playing out in Congress.
    Irish Foreign Minister Dermot Ahern met yesterday with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, and told reporters the Irish parliament has endorsed Mr. Kennedy's bill to grant illegal aliens now here a multistep path to citizenship.
    "We do support it ... completely and on an all-party basis, and I want to tease out with him how he sees this matter progressing, particularly given the recent developments, not least the speech by President Bush," Mr. Ahern said.
    The issue receives substantial coverage in Irish expatriate newspapers in Boston and New York, but Ireland isn't the only nation to enter the immigration debate. This week, Mexican President Vicente Fox said Mr. Kennedy's bill is his preference, the Houston Chronicle reported.
    Mr. Kennedy's proposal would create a guest-worker program open both to new workers from overseas and current illegal aliens. After six years, workers could get a green card, putting them on a path to citizenship. The bill also calls for stricter border security -- something the administration says it's already doing.
    Yesterday, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff warned of one such measure aimed at one group of aliens -- those who enter the U.S. illegally from countries other than Mexico (OTMs) -- telling them that if caught, they will be detained until deported.
    "The word on the street used to be if you were a non-Mexican and you were caught, you would be released and therefore you were home free. And I know that's a very bad message," Mr. Chertoff said. "We are reversing that: If you are caught at the border, you are going to be detained ... until you're sent back again."
    His comments were in response to the "catch-and-release" policy, in which illegal aliens from countries other than Mexico, when detained by the U.S. Border Patrol, get Homeland Security notices to appear before an immigration judge, although fewer than 13 percent show up. Mexicans are immediately returned to Mexico.
    Mr. Chertoff said an expedited removal program instituted in all nine Border Patrol sectors on the U.S.-Mexico border will allow agents to detain and later remove OTMs in as little as 32 days. He said expedited removal would give Homeland Security "the ability to gain greater control of our borders."
    He acknowledged during a press conference that expedited removal targets only detained illegal aliens from Honduras, Brazil, Nicaragua and Guatemala who have spent less than 14 days in the United States and who are caught within 100 miles of the border.
    Mr. Chertoff declined to predict whether the department would extend the program further into the nation's interior, but described criticism of the limits as "overblown."
    Border Patrol Chief David V. Aguilar, who attended the press conference, called the expedited removal program "a very critical piece of the solution of reducing the number of illegal incursions" along the nation's SouChief Aguilar noted that agents along a 200-mile stretch of border in South Texas apprehended between 3,000 and 4,000 Brazilian illegal aliens every month this year until July 10, when the expedited removal program was implemented. Since then, he said, the number has dropped to between 300 and 350 a month.
    Despite the number of OTMs, the issue of U.S. immigration law affects Mexico, which accounts for millions of illegal aliens, most of all. By comparison, U.S. government figures say Ireland, accounted for just 3,000 illegal aliens in 2000.
    "Illegal Irish immigration is very small, and government estimates shows that it's trivial -- well less than a hundredth of a percent, and the estimate shows it's falling," said Steven A. Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies, who said it doesn't make sense that Ireland would take a position in the debate.
    Still, Mr. Kennedy yesterday said illegal alien Irish will benefit along with other illegal aliens.
    "Those Irish that are here, that haven't adjusted their status, this would permit them to initially adjust their status, pay a small down payment, indicate a work record and deal with other kind of security issues and be able to work towards both a green card and citizenship over a number of years," Mr. Kennedy said.
    Previously other sponsors had called the $2,000 fine "hefty," rather than the "small down payment" Mr. Kennedy called it.
    A spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican and a sponsor of a measure competing with Mr. Kennedy's, said the Irish endorsement doesn't affect the debate.
    "We are a lot more concerned about what the people in Texas have to say, frankly," Don Stewart said.
    Even as Ireland pushes for looser U.S. immigration laws, it has been doing the opposite at home, passing laws aimed at combating illegal immigration, increasing the number of deportations and ending birthright citizenship for anyone born on its soil.
    thwest border.
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Irish Foreign Minister Dermot Ahern met yesterday with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, and told reporters the Irish parliament has endorsed Mr. Kennedy's bill to grant illegal aliens now here a multistep path to citizenship
    What right do you Mr. Demot Ahern, have to endorse any thing that pertains to The United State Of America. Mr. I can tell you. You have no right. If you have Irish Citizens here. They should be back in Ireland as soon as possible. With you flipping the bill. Illegal Is Illegal and they have no right to be here. Deport them ASAP.

Oh by the way MR. Dermot Ahern. Except my gift from the United States to Ireland. Ted Kennedy I know you will find a good use for Him somewhere in Ireland.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Mr. Demot Ahern I am feeling generous today. Special bonus gift to you. John McCain.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Oooh, me too. It's Friday and I'm feeling Sooooo Generous.

Therefore, I give my special gift to Ireland, McBush....all of them....the whole kit and kaboodle....from Grandpappy McBush and Barbara McBush to George, Jeb, Martin, Neal, et al and all their "posterity".....and may God Bless the Republic of Ireland, may your green grass grow until your Leprechauns......come marching home!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    For anyone interested I posted a couple of articles a few months ago about illegal immigrants from Ireland. The numbers are nothing compared to the illegal immigrants from Mexico, but I for one want them deported as much as the Mexican illegals. Here's the links below.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-10625-irish.html

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-10996-irish.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Why would the Irish government want their illegals back? They probably take the Vicente Fox approach in that it's just a few less mouths to feed.

I agree they need to be deported. This should show the Mexico first crowd (like they really care about facts) that we don't care what race they are, we want all illegal aliens deported. This is a perfect example. Irish illegals are white, yet I want them all gone. They are just as big of freeloaders and lawbreakers as Mexican illegals are. I'm not like Mr Bush who selectively enforces laws and gives one race perferential treatment.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Even as Ireland pushes for looser U.S. immigration laws, it has been doing the opposite at home, passing laws aimed at combating illegal immigration, increasing the number of deportations and ending birthright citizenship for anyone born on its soil.
    Do as I say, not as I do?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Yes, all Irish illegal aliens need to hop the first boat or plane back to Ireland. Ireland is a lovely country. Peaceful now, too.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn