Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Irish immigrants returning to Ireland

Irish immigrants returning to Ireland
    By ERNIE GARCIA
    elgarcia@lohud.com
    THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: February 17, 2006)

YONKERS

The busy, late breakfast crowd at Eileen's Country Kitchen on McLean Avenue isn't what it used to be.

Not an Irish face around," said owner Eugene Collum, who with his wife Eileen runs the popular diner serving hearty Irish dishes.

A prospering economy in Ireland, an on-going state effort to verify driver's licenses and increased security since the 9/11 terror attacks have forced local illegal Irish immigrants to return to Ireland.

The departures are hurting small businesses in southeast Yonkers and the adjacent Woodlawn neighborhood in the Bronx.

Collum estimated that his sales fell about 20 percent since large numbers of Irish illegal immigrants began leaving the area two years ago.

Some illegal Irish immigrants are leaving because of a New York Department of Motor Vehicle campaign to verify drivers licenses by requiring a valid Social Security number. Illegal immigrants cannot legally obtain valid Social Security numbers.

The U.S. government does not have official statistics on the number of illegal immigrants in the country, but estimates range from 6 million to 11 million.

Josephine Kinsella, 32, an actress and waitress, persuaded an immigration judge to award her a resident visa, which she received two weeks ago after living in the United States illegally for seven years. Her new status will allow her to get a Social Security card and a driver's license.

She plans on visiting her parents in Ireland, whom she has not seen in four years. She also wants a "real" job and a Screen Actors Guild membership.

"It's not that (waitressing) is not good. It's just that the bosses don't have to pay you. They don't have to give you a wage, so you just work for tips," said Kinsella, during a rehearsal break on Saturday with the Yonkers-based Hamm & Clov Stage Co.for a March 5 performance at White Plains' Arts Exchange.

One Irish American business not hurt by the Irish exodus is Liffey Van Lines of Mahopac and Manhattan. The company moves households to Ireland.

Danny Moloney, Liffey Van Lines' owner, said business was good in December and November, when he moved about 32 containers out of the McLean Avenue/Woodlawn area.

"I would say a lot of people can't get jobs without Social Security numbers or driver's licenses," said Moloney of the reason for his clients' departures.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles began cross-checking driver's licenses with Social Security numbers in February 2004. Information about how many licenses had been suspended under the program was unavailable in time for this story.

The Irish government does not keep track of why its citizens are returning to Ireland or from which country they return. In April 2005 Ireland's Central Statistics Office reported that since 1996 about 218,800 Irish have returned to Ireland, with an estimated 19,000 returning last year.

Ireland's population is 3.9 million.

Shortly after taking office President George W. Bush announced his support for immigration reform and a guest worker program that might have allowed millions of illegal immigrants to legalize their status.

The Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks stalled immigration reform. Last year Bush renewed his calls for immigration reform, although he voiced opposition to an amnesty for illegal immigrants.

In December the House of Representatives passed the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act. The House legislation does not provide for the legalization of illegal immigrants and it would implement harsh rules against illegal immigrants, including making it a felony to be in the United States illegally.

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform — a New York-based nonprofit partially funded with a grant from the Irish government — supports the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act.

The group is signing up illegal Irish immigrants for a March 8 trip to Washington, D.C., to lobby the Senate in support of Secure America act.

That bill calls for a guest worker program and it would require illegal immigrants with no criminal records to pay a penalty of $1,000 so they can legalize their status.

The Senate has not voted on any bill, but before immigration reform occurs the Senate and House would have to agree on one bill.

Kinsella said a guest worker program is not a realistic option for illegal immigrants who have already lived in the United States for years.

"You're making your life here. Why would you pay taxes and everything and then just say goodbye?" she said, adding that lawmakers should consider some kind of amnesty. "Who are the waitresses and the construction workers? Who are the taxi drivers? Americans know this, so why not give people a fair chance to work?"

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 70323/1066
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

A prospering economy in Ireland, an on-going state effort to verify driver's licenses and increased security since the 9/11 terror attacks have forced local illegal Irish immigrants to return to Ireland.

The departures are hurting small businesses in southeast Yonkers and the adjacent Woodlawn neighborhood in the Bronx.
    I'm glad to hear the Irish economy is improving. I'm sorry these people didn't want to stay here bad enough to apply for citizenship. If they have been here since before 9-11, I think they have had ample opportunity.

Seems to me that these businesses who built their "fortunes" off illegal alien dollars should have reached out to the Americans in their communities. I can tell you that many a business in this city would suffer if we sent all the illegals home not only to Mexico but to Asia, South and Central America and who knows where else. That's what happens when American businesses ignore American patrons in favor of foreigners.

I have a feeling that I'm going to wish I could go to Ireland and apply for citizenship before we scare all the less desireable illegal aliens out of this country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's getting close to St. Patrick's Day and where else would you want to be on that day........Not NYC

Soon it will be time for some corned beef and cabbage .
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If they have been here since before 9-11, I think they have had ample opportunity.
    It is not that simple. It can take many years and even decades for a person to legalize or to emigrate to America legally. The only way people can become legal residents is if 1. they have a relative U.S. citizen (mother, father, brother, sister), 2. They have a U.S. company sponsor them to come work for them (only after the company demonstrates that there are no qualified American workers for the position), 3. Marriage to a U.S. citizen, and 4. Winning asylum or refugee status. For the first two categories there are long backlogs for visas especially for number one (the INS estimates some wait lines as long as 10-12 yrs for a visa number to be current for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens).

I do not understand how that waitress "persuaded" a judge to give her an immigrant visa especially if she is illegal. Obviously there is a bias in the system for desirable immigrants and undesirable ones, which is racist and wrong. If she is illegal and does not fit in the above categories then by law she has to be deported. That visa could have been given to someone who has been here longer and paid taxes, not to a waitress who probably does not pay taxes and has only been here for a couple of years. This is really a sad double standard how little opposition there is for immigrants from desirable (a.k.a. Western European) countries.

DEPORT THEM ALL! No matter WHERE they are from.
    Individualism leads to anarchism. A collective society has more to offer than an isolationist/individualist one.

Well, didn't the post before mine say she was married to a US citizen. I personally know people from Germany, Poland, Turkey, Japan, Korea, the Phillipines, Egypt, Mexico and even a Palestinian who are married to Americans. All but for one Mexican and one Korean, they are ALL US citizens because they took the trouble to become citizens. No, it wasn't easy. Some had to enlist the help of their congressmen to expedite the paperwork. But they all took the test and became citizens and this woman could have done the same thing. I don't feel sorry for her.

Not NYC
    I hate to say this but I'd not especially like being in NYC on ANY day.