Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Jeb Bush weighs in - 'Inexcusable' language on immigration alienating Latino voters

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Jeb Bush weighs in - 'Inexcusable' language on immigration alienating Latino voters

The Guardian
    28 January 2012

'Inexcusable' language on immigration alienating Latino voters, Republicans told

'Hispanic people hear these debates and I think you turn them off. We must admit there are those among us that have used rhetoric that is harsh and intolerable and inexcusable. And we must admit, myself included, that sometimes we've been too slow to condemn that language for what it is.'
    Florida senator Marco Rubio and former governor Jeb Bush warn party's frontrunners not to use 'harsh and intolerable' language

The Republican former governor Jeb Bush said: 'Hispanic people hear these debates and I think you turn them off.' Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

Senior Republicans including the brother of the former president George Bush have warned the party to avoid using "harsh, intolerable and inexcusable" language about illegal immigration or risk alienating Latino voters.

The Florida senator, Marco Rubio, and the state's former governor Jeb Bush made their appeal before Tuesday's primary, being contested by Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney.

The Republican frontrunners clashed over illegal immigration in a debate earlier this week. The issue is emotive in Florida, which has the third largest Latino population in America.

Latinos make up 13% of Florida's 11.2 million registered voters, according to data from the Florida Division of Elections, compiled by the Pew Hispanic Center.

"We must admit there are those among us that have used rhetoric that is harsh and intolerable and inexcusable," Rubio said in a speech at the Hispanic Leadership Network in Miami on Friday.

"And we must admit, myself included, that sometimes we've been too slow to condemn that language for what it is."

Both Gingrich and Romney have courted the Latino community in Florida and aired commercials in Spanish, but many Floridian voters are upset by hardline measures proposed by Republicans to curb immigration in other states such as Arizona and Texas.

The US is home to an estimated 14 million illegal immigrants, but many US citizens have been "illegal" at some point in their lives.

Some Republican leaders have introduced legislation to prevent the provision of services to illegal immigrants, the majority of whom are Hispanic.

Bush also urged Republicans to temper their comments. "Hispanic people hear these debates and I think you turn them off. It's not a good thing," he said.

Romney and Gingrich exchanged remarks about illegal immigration during their televised debate in Jacksonville on Thursday. The exchanges centred on an ad Gingrich put out which described Romney as "anti-immigrant".

Gingrich withdrew the ad on Wednesday after leading Latino Republican politicians described it as offensive, but stood by it in the debate.

Romney called on Gingrich to apologise, describing the ad as "inexcusable and inflammatory and inappropriate" – unusual language for the normally buttoned-up candidate. He said it was "simply the kind of over-the-top rhetoric that has characterised American politics for too long".

Gingrich, who has proposed a humane approach to illegal immigrants, stood his ground, insisting Romney was the most anti-immigrant of the four candidates fighting for the Republican nomination.

Nearly one-third of eligible Hispanic voters in Florida are of Cuban descent, while 28% are of Puerto Rican origin. Mexican Americans, who account for nearly 60% of Hispanic eligible voters nationwide, represent 9% of Florida voters.

In 2008, Barack Obama won more than half of Florida's Hispanic vote, although polls suggest Hispanic voters have become disillusioned with the president.

Source: 'Inexcusable' language on immigration alienating Latino voters, Republicans told | World news | guardian.co.uk
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 03-31-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED

The 2012 Latino vote (not going to be Republican)

(VIDEO AT SOURCE)
    But guess what: No way will any of us vote for the Republicans in 2012.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Latinos their alienating aren't legally allowed to vote anyway and besides that how do you alienate an alien? Jeb is a globalist just like the rest of the family....
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by avenger View Post
    The Latinos their alienating aren't legally allowed to vote anyway and besides that how do you alienate an alien? Jeb is a globalist just like the rest of the family....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GOP that elected George W. Bush twice ... for your viewing pleasure ..

How about not insulting American citizens, I personally know Americans of Mexican heritage that resent being lumped in with illegals. I grow more tired of the Bush family each time they speak and baby Jeb is moving into a position to run now or in 2016, looks like Romney may be another throw away as was McCain.

Rubio is simply another "historic" candidate. Morals, values,love of country doesn't mean anything only an addition rung on the minority ladder is important to the New York media idiots.

I've always voted in all elections sometimes hold my nose as I went in
    but if Jeb boy runs that is it for me, I simply won't vote and understand America is lost.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Rubio is no better then "Jeb!" telling dreamers "Wait let me finish! I'm not who you think I am!" guess he's not who we thought he was either!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer View Post
    Rubio is no better then "Jeb!" telling dreamers "Wait let me finish! I'm not who you think I am!" guess he's not who we thought he was either!
    He looked white in the face. He proved he cannot take peer pressure. Coming from California I have seen what happens when Latinos become elected representatives. Well guess what Jeb! Everytime I see an ethnic activist group, or a ethnic caucaus group or a ethnic scholarship I get turned off. I am sick and tired of the discrimination and biggotry towards unhyphenated Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer View Post

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

IIRC, Jeb's first wife (now divorced) is a dual citizen born in Mexico.

NO MORE BUSHES as President....EVER. Put it in the Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast