Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Juan Valdez. America's Favorite Advertising Icon. CNN Money

Juan Valdez. America's Favorite Advertising Icon. CNN Money

Advertising Week 2005, Sept 26-30

New York City, Parade of Advertising Icons and Characters

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/28/news/ne ... ing_icons/

Juan Valdez has his day in the sun
    Coffee farmer, Geico Insurance's gecko honored as top icons at New York advertising convention.
    Parades of Advertising characters. Times Square and Madison Avenue.
    September 28, 2005: 8:33 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The meek coffee farmer Juan Valdez and a spirited gecko representing Geico Insurance were crowned America's favorite advertising icons Tuesday in a contest as part of Advertising Week 2005.

The results, determined through an online vote, also included America's favorite advertising slogans.

General Electric's "Imagination at Work" and Hallmark's "When you care enough to send the very best" were honored as the top slogans for 2005.

Competing against the gecko and Juan Valdez, who represents the National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia, were Charlie the Tuna, the Keebler Elves, the Energizer Bunny and the California Raisins.

While the results were initially slated for release Monday on the television program "Today," The New York Times reported Wednesday that the show delayed the announcement. The results were sent via press release instead.

A procession of advertising's most beloved icons through Times Square and a special ceremony honoring America's favorite icons and slogans

Advertising Week is an annual gathering of the industry's best and brightest. In its first year (2004), the event attracted more than 40,000 participants from over 30 countries. By all accounts, it was thoroughly enjoyed by bigwigs, heavy hitters and up-and-comers alike. Advertising Week 2005 will be an outstanding opportunity to learn and share best practices, hobnob with clients, get inspired, remember why you're in the business and generally have a great time.

See More Info here :

http://www.advertisingweek.com/about.php

There will be a Parade of Character Advertising Icons.

Unfortunately Juan Valdez is going to be evicted of his farm by the Andean FTA. Along with millions of poor peasants in Colombia.

Vicente Duque

what to say

What to say about "free trade? It is displacing working Americans, now you claim it will displace small independent coffee growers in Columbia.

They can always grow cocaine.

Appparently they have a problem convincing their "representatives" that government should be protecting the economy for the benefit of their citizens too. Seems to be an international trend, one that will leave the indiginous peoples of all Nations bereft.

Chavez and the Bolivar movement are the signs of reaction to the assault of global corporatism. I wish it well, I have distaste for mono megalomania corporate world economy. Our own Nation balked under british crown globalist economic imperialism and won. Good luck down there. Looks like we Americans will have to do it again also.

If you don't succeed your poor could always come here, destroy our wage base, hang on our social services, and clean up the star-"bucks" under the cover of darkness when the place closes down, for untaxable cash. At least they would still be in the coffee biz.

I engage in hyperbole, as in fact, the reality is little different than the joke.

The only solution I see to truly stopping the global corporate juggernaut in GENERAL STRIKE of all workers everywhere, for as long as it takes to break the corporate grip on Sovereign Nations. cheers glenn

Naturalglenn

You said :

Chavez and the Bolivar movement are the signs of reaction to the assault of global corporatism. I wish it well, I have distaste for mono megalomania corporate world economy.

Hugo Chavez is the worst Enemy of the US in Latin America

He also helps the FARC murderers and killer of Children and Women

I have to defend my country of a Madman that wants to invade us

He is buying weapons by the millions to arm his bands of thugs.

There are three American Citizens held captive by the FARC

They were kidnapped two years ago.

We should not forget them

It is necessary to do everything honorable to preserve their lives.

Vicente Duque

yeah whatever

Vincente; yw; Hugo Chavez is the worst Enemy of the US in Latin America.

No doubt anyone that stands in the way of parasitic global corporatism is the de-facto enemy of the US.

As for killings I can't keep it straight who kills who down in Columbia. Left wing crazies, vs. right wing fanatic paramilitaries, with a few drug kingpins thrown in, along with our intelligence agencies helping with the orchestration. Oh and don't forget, lot's of guns.

I wouldn't, as George Washington would recommend, throw my lot in with any of it. We have more pressing concerns at home.

As for Chavez, gas is 12 cents a gallon in Venezuela, the piss poor peasants, and cardbox people have a little hope, he spends for them, instead those who already have tons. No wonder he is so well liked and protected. bush could take a page. Good luck with Chavez, he has it figured out for him. cheers glenn