Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Judge Halts Illegal No-Match Letters

Associated Press
    Judge Halts Illegal Immigrant Notices
    By JORDAN ROBERTSON 08.31.07, 7:50 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -

The Social Security Administration cannot start sending out letters to employers next week that carry with them more serious penalties for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Ruling on a lawsuit by the nation's largest federation of labor unions against the U.S. government, U.S. District Judge Maxine Chesney granted a temporary restraining order prohibiting the so-called "no-match" letters from going out as planned starting Tuesday.

The AFL-CIO lawsuit, filed this week, claims that new Department of Homeland Security rules outlined in accompanying letters threaten to violate workers' rights and unfairly burden employers. Chesney said the court needs "breathing room" before making any decision on the legality of new penalties aimed at cracking down on the hiring of illegal immigrants.

She set the next hearing on the matter for Oct. 1.

The Social Security Administration has sent out "no-match" letters for more than two decades warning employers of discrepancies in the information the government has on their workers. Employers often brushed aside the letters, and the small fines that sometimes were incurred, as a cost of doing business.

But this year, those letters will be accompanied by notices from the Department of Homeland Security outlining strict new requirements for employers to resolve those discrepancies within 90 days or face fines or criminal prosecution, if they're deemed to have knowingly hired illegal immigrants.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/ ... 74135.html

Social Security No Match Letters

another court trying to hinder immigration enforcement. What is wrong with verifying social security numbers and names. This has been the law and is nothing new. I'm certain the letters will be sent after this delay.

This is what happens, after years of judges running amok, and legislating from the bench. No one in their right mind could find any constitutional problem with these regulations. Yet another example of an activist judge substituting personal views for the rule of law and the constitution! The current state of our judiciary is a national disgrace!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

"I've never given anybody hell; I just tell the truth on them, and they think it's hell!" - Harry Truman

Fine, if the courts will not allow DHS to include the warning notices with the no match letters. DHS should dispense with the warnings and start the arrests and prosecutions. Churches, sanctuary cities, employers, illegal aliens, the whole bunch. Maybe they could bag few activist judges.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

All branchs of gov no longer function for the American people.It has been corrupted.

The AFL-CIO lawsuit, filed this week, claims that new Department of Homeland Security rules outlined in accompanying letters threaten to violate workers' rights and unfairly burden employers. Chesney said the court needs "breathing room" before making any decision on the legality of new penalties aimed at cracking down on the hiring of illegal immigrants.
    Excuse me? This is just ridiculous! How does cracking down on people using false social security numbers violate workers' rights? What about the rights of Americans not to have their social security numbers stolen?

I just don't get this at all. How can ONE person....ONE judge, undermine the law in such a manner? On what basis did she make this ruling? Just HOW are workers' rights violated by enforcing the law that one use one's ACTUAL social security number?

I swear this is just insanity...I'm ready to tear my hair out!!!!!!!!!
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

If our politicans can be bought so can our judges. We know this is happening.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

OH, this disappoints me to no end. I wanted a lot of self-deportation to take place sooner then later -for the sake of our schools, hospitals...

Isn't it safe to say that with as many citizens killed per day by illegal aliens that this judge just signed someone's death warrant. An illegal alien that might have self-deported, but now gets a reprieve may commit a crime? The odds are yes... God forbid it happens to one of the judges relatives.

This makes no sense to me...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh boy.....now we've heard everything!!

Here's what I don't get......judges have been ruling against things like the Hazelton ordinance,issuing their opinions that it is up to the Federal Government to decide upon what enforcement is approriate and then act upon it.But, when the Federal Government does exactly that, a mere judge takes it upon herself to decide that her opinion overrides that of the Government of this country in deciding what enforcement, and application of it, may not be appropriate.

Sorry, but it seems to me that judges have forgotten one simple fact which is that they are not in charge around here.

Now, the question is....what do we do about it? If we brought the Amnesty to a screeching halt, there most certainly must be something we can do about these judges overstepping their bounds and placing themselves above even our government. I could care less how liberal, bleeding heart they are.....the simple fact is that they are overstepping their authority and openly undermining the laws of this country which, they are bound to ensure are upheld. It must be stopped, stopped now, and there has to be some way to do this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just great, 0 for 2 today: a court refuses to delay the dangerous Mexican trucks and now this. When does common sense enter the picture?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast