Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Judge Orders Migrants to 'Learn English'

(from the Federal Observer)

Editor's Note:I place in nomination for Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, Wilson County Tennessee Judge, Barry Tatum. Hot Damn! (J.B.)

Some consider it unorthodox and others say it is unconstitutional, but nevertheless a Tennessee judge has ordered some Hispanic mothers in child abuse and neglect cases to either learn English or risk losing their children.

Despite criticism from some legal corners, Wilson County Judge Barry Tatum, a first-term jurist and former attorney, has defended his decisions, saying he made his rulings because the women need to assimilate American language and culture for the betterment of their children.

He has made five such rulings already.

"Here we have an American citizen who runs the risk of losing out on all the opportunities if she's not assimilated into the culture," Tatum said in an interview with the Lebanon Democrat newspaper, though he admitted he's never removed a child from a home because a mother did not speak English.

In an October case, Tatum ordered a Mexican woman reported to the Department of Children's Services for child neglect to learn English to a fourth-grade level within six months, according to her attorney. If she didn't, he would begin parental termination proceedings.

"The court specially informs the mother that if she does not make the effort to learn English, she is running the risk of losing any connection â€â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

(from the Federal Observer)

Editor's Note:I place in nomination for Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, Wilson County Tennessee Judge, Barry Tatum. Hot Damn! (J.B.)

Some consider it unorthodox and others say it is unconstitutional, but nevertheless a Tennessee judge has ordered some Hispanic mothers in child abuse and neglect cases to either learn English or risk losing their children.

Despite criticism from some legal corners, Wilson County Judge Barry Tatum, a first-term jurist and former attorney, has defended his decisions, saying he made his rulings because the women need to assimilate American language and culture for the betterment of their children.

He has made five such rulings already.

"Here we have an American citizen who runs the risk of losing out on all the opportunities if she's not assimilated into the culture," Tatum said in an interview with the Lebanon Democrat newspaper, though he admitted he's never removed a child from a home because a mother did not speak English.

In an October case, Tatum ordered a Mexican woman reported to the Department of Children's Services for child neglect to learn English to a fourth-grade level within six months, according to her attorney. If she didn't, he would begin parental termination proceedings.

"The court specially informs the mother that if she does not make the effort to learn English, she is running the risk of losing any connection â€â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We need many more judges willing to take an unpopular stance like this.

I'll have to get out my soapbox on this but nothing makes my blood pressure skyrocket more than trying to obtain services from a non-English speaking employee when I reside in the United States of AMERICA where English is not a multiple choice question!

Second to that is call centers outsourced to India and other "foreign" lands.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

I'll have to get out my soapbox on this but nothing makes my blood pressure skyrocket more than trying to obtain services from a non-English speaking employee when I reside in the United States of AMERICA where English is not a multiple choice question!

"This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by watchman

I had a comment all set to submit and it disappeared into space. I hate it when that happens.

It was a very bold move, and I am really glad SOMEBODY, and a JUDGE to boot, 'DARED TO GO WHERE NO MAN HAS EVER GONE'. (Superman quote?)
    Assimilation is considered such a dirty word among all the pro-immigration and human rights activists. It's not being cruel to expect immigrants seeking citizenship in America, to learn the language, history, and laws of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by watchman

I had a comment all set to submit and it disappeared into space. I hate it when that happens.

It was a very bold move, and I am really glad SOMEBODY, and a JUDGE to boot, 'DARED TO GO WHERE NO MAN HAS EVER GONE'. (Superman quote?)
    Assimilation is considered such a dirty word among all the pro-immigration and human rights activists. It's not being cruel to expect immigrants seeking citizenship in America, to learn the language, history, and laws of our country.

American citizen??

The article says she is an American citizen. I thought that legal immigrants applying for citizenship had to be able to speak and write some English. Is this law gone too? Sickening.

American citizen??

The article says she is an American citizen. I thought that legal immigrants applying for citizenship had to be able to speak and write some English. Is this law gone too? Sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Actually, it's cruel for these illegals to invade our country and NOT assimilate! If our family goes for dinner at the local "upscale" cafeteria, we will likely meet up with Hispanic servers on the line who shrug their shoulders when asked questions and don't know beans about the difference between mashed potatoes and new potatoes with cheese. Should I carry a Spanish dictionary with me so I can say "potato" and cheese in Spanish?? Heaven forbid NO! Although we do know "queso" is cheese, but we don't know the "operative" word for potato. So we point out the dish we want. Saves lots of wear on our nerves and patience.

Don't even get me started on the surly attitudes some of them display.

Wonder how many illegals LUBY'S cafeterias employs? (tho the cafeteria we go to is not a part of Luby's)

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Actually, it's cruel for these illegals to invade our country and NOT assimilate! If our family goes for dinner at the local "upscale" cafeteria, we will likely meet up with Hispanic servers on the line who shrug their shoulders when asked questions and don't know beans about the difference between mashed potatoes and new potatoes with cheese. Should I carry a Spanish dictionary with me so I can say "potato" and cheese in Spanish?? Heaven forbid NO! Although we do know "queso" is cheese, but we don't know the "operative" word for potato. So we point out the dish we want. Saves lots of wear on our nerves and patience.

Don't even get me started on the surly attitudes some of them display.

Wonder how many illegals LUBY'S cafeterias employs? (tho the cafeteria we go to is not a part of Luby's)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast