Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Kidney care for entrants is the right thing to do

Published: 03.23.2007

Opinion by Ernesto Portillo Jr.: Kidney care for entrants is the right thing to do What's your take?
    Have something to say about it? Join metro news columnist Ernesto Portillo Jr. at azstarnet.com/special/portillochat for a live one-hour online chat at noon today.
    Let 'em die. How else can we interpret the harsh reaction some Arizonans had to a recent agreement allowing emergency kidney dialysis services for low-income patients — regardless of the patients' immigration status?
    The settlement was reached between the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System and the William E. Morris Institute for Justice, a Phoenix-based public-interest law firm. It stems from a 2002 class-action lawsuit filed against the state.
    "Outpatient kidney dialysis is emergency service," said Ellen Katz of the Morris Institute. She said the settlement conforms to federal law.
    The state said about 250 legal and undocumented immigrants are presently eligible for dialysis under the settlement. How many of them are undocumented is not known, said Katz.
    For people with severe kidney failure, a lack of treatment means they'll die.
    Apparently that grim outcome is fine with people who insist public funds should never be spent on undocumented immigrants.
    I could say shame on people with such a cold attitude about human life. Instead I'll just say thank goodness the legal settlement makes the right choice.
    What's your take?
    Have something to say about it? Join metro news columnist Ernesto Portillo Jr. at azstarnet.com/special/portillochat for a live one-hour online chat at noon today.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/174904

Letter to the editor:

Citizens also need health care
    Re: the March 20 article "AZ to pay for immigrants' dialysis."
    I was irritated to read this front-page article. My husband has been a hard-working, taxpaying contractor for 30 years, making jobs for individuals and assuming all the liability and uncertainty of running his own business. We pay astronomical costs for health insurance for ourselves and our employees, and many of our medical expenses are not covered. Now he is facing two surgeries and an uncertain future of our business, plus the accumulation of even more medical bills. This is due to the physical injuries he has acquired from years of working. He does not qualify for worker's compensation benefits.
    Where is our help for medical expenses? Don't U.S.-born citizens deserve as much as legal and illegal immigrants? It is past time for a national health insurance program. It is unfair.
    Lisa Stultz
    Small-business owner, Tucson
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Charity begins at home
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    Charity begins at home
    It sure does and that's where these folks should be sent.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OMG! It's not let them die! It's let them pay for it! Just like every other uninsured and underinsured American.

Their death is in God's hands and if He wants them to live, they will receive the money for the treatments.

Here they come! All the Hepatitus cases to your community, for free medical treatment!

Dumbasses with Degrees.

Dixie

How many of them are undocumented is not known, said Katz.
    And why not? No one checked any I.D.'s?

For people with severe kidney failure, a lack of treatment means they'll die.
    Apparently that grim outcome is fine with people who insist public funds should never be spent on undocumented immigrants.
    You are right---that outcome is fine with me!

It reminds me of trying to get emergency medical care for my father while vacationing in Mexico in the mid 80's---what a horrendous situation--immediate cash and credit card required befor a visit is even considered. And then, the service is substandard, and the rates are quintuple of what a local would pay!

Let them go back to Mexico to get their healthcare! It's a short trip, and one dialysis session should suffice to get them on the road!

Don't you dare start pulling on the "heartstrings" of Citizens who are much more needy and deserving of healthcare than a BUNCH OF TRESSPASSING CRIMINALS, Mr. Portillo!

I am aghast that this is even presented as a "humanitarian" issue---SHAME ON YOU PORTILLO!
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    Charity begins at home
    It sure does and that's where these folks should be sent.
    Remember the American child the died because of an untreated tooth?

Deport them and let their government deal with them. Americans have been to generous for too long. it is time to take care of Americans and not rest of the world.

Send them back home for dialysis! Americans are being denied some health care because they can't afford it. Why should WE TAXPAYERS, pay for illegal aliens to receive any medical attenton?

One of the reasons our health insurance is so high we are all paying inflated costs to make up what the providers lose to free loading illegal immigrants.

There are plenty of pro illegal folks out there ,I hear them speak all the time, they could easily pay for these people to get free medical care . Unless they are lying and don't really want to help illegals . Why doesn't the ACLU pay for them ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast