Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

KS: Day laborers face hard choice

Posted on Fri, Jan. 23, 2009
    Day laborers face hard choice: Weather the economic slump or return to their native countries
    By MALCOLM GARCIA
    The Kansas City Star

Guillermo Alvidrez stood inside the Westside CAN Center, clutching his cold hands beneath his chin to warm them.

He had been outside hoping for someone to drive up and offer him some work, but, as in previous days, no one had. Around him, other day laborers huddled in groups talking, bored and bumming cigarettes. Alvidrez engaged in small talk with little interest.

“My cousin went back to Mexico in January,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

More and more, day laborers in the metro area are finding it hard if not impossible to find steady work, a stark turnaround from recent years, when the housing boom and a bustling economy provided regular jobs.
    Meanwhile what will they be doing while there is no work for them? Where will there food and money come from? Their rent money?

In Kansas City, Kan., pastor Fernando Aguilar of La Fe en Jesucristo Church knows several Hispanic immigrant families who tired of living on nothing and returned to Mexico. A father with his wife and three children called him from a bus station and said that without a job he had no choice but to leave.
    And good riddance. Take the rest with you on your journey.

[quote]“It’s very slow,â€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

The posted article allows you to add a comment as well
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    The posted article allows you to add a comment as well
    And I did!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)