Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

KY:Stumbo may run for U.S. Senate; "Mcconnell out of to

Stumbo may run for U.S. Senate

McConnell is 'out of touch,' he says
    By Joseph Gerth
    jgerth@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

By Joseph Gerth
    jgerth@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

Attorney General Greg Stumbo is considering running against U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2008, calling the Senate minority leader "out of touch with Kentucky."

The Democrat announced yesterday that he has formed a "testing the waters" committee to see if he could defeat the four-term Republican incumbent.

"I think Mitch McConnell needs to be held accountable," Stumbo said in an interview. "I can't say for 100 percent certainty that I'm the best candidate, but I want us to get a good candidate."

Billy Piper, McConnell's chief of staff, refused to comment on Stumbo's announcement.

Other Democrats, including Louisville businessman Charlie Owen, have expressed interest in the race. But no one else has taken formal steps -- either filing to run or creating an exploratory committee. Mark Riddle, an adviser to Owen, declined to comment.

McConnell has been a favorite target of Democrats and moderates, and even some conservatives, in recent weeks as he has stood by President Bush on issues such as the Iraq war.

He was one of the Senate's chief proponents of a compromise immigration bill that had Bush's support, before ultimately voting against the measure, saying he had listened to his constituents who opposed it.

Stumbo, who ran for lieutenant governor this year as the running mate of defeated gubernatorial candidate Bruce Lunsford, said yesterday that he believes that McConnell's support of the Iraq war and his initial support of the immigration bill went against the will of Kentucky voters.

"I think Senator McConnell may be out of touch with Kentucky," Stumbo said. "He's certainly out of touch with Kentucky families on things like the immigration vote."

But although McConnell's job as Senate minority leader requires him to be one of the chief defenders of Bush, who has historically low approval ratings, some political pundits question whether the Kentuckian is vulnerable.

Stuart Rothenberg, editor of the Rothenberg Political Report, currently sees McConnell as being "safe," but he said that could change, especially if Republicans have a bad year in 2008 and McConnell draws a strong challenger.

"He's got the Tom Daschle problem," said Rothenberg, referring to the former Democratic minority leader who in 2004 lost his South Dakota Senate race because of his vocal opposition to Bush, who was still relatively popular.

McConnell has raised $7.6 million for his re-election -- the most ever for a Senate candidate in Kentucky -- and he has more than $5.7 million on hand. And he's raising more money.

If Stumbo decides to enter the race, he said he would count on help from national sources, including the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

National groups have already begun running television commercials against McConnell's support of Bush on the war.

"Obviously, the Lunsford campaign told us money isn't everything," Stumbo said, referring to the primary that Lunsford lost despite outspending Democratic nominee Steve Beshear by more than 3 to 1. "I know I can't raise as much money as Mitch McConnell can … but I believe I can raise enough money to be competitive."

The Republican Party is expected to come to McConnell's aid, but with five GOP seats considered at risk -- compared with two for Democrats -- the GOP might have less money for the Senate race in Kentucky than Democrats.

Stumbo, the longest-serving House floor leader in Kentucky's history, would bring his own baggage into the race.

In 2001, a woman sued Stumbo, claiming that he had fathered her child while he was married to another woman and then reneged on an agreement to pay support. A court later ruled that there was no agreement between Stumbo and the woman, but DNA tests proved that the child was Stumbo's. He later began paying support.

In 1991, while opposing tougher drunken-driving laws in the General Assembly, Stumbo pleaded guilty to public intoxication and paid a $100 fine after his car ran into a ditch.

Stumbo originally was charged with driving under the influence, but the day after the accident, he said someone else had been driving.

Rothenberg said he would expect McConnell to bring up such issues.

"Mitch would not sit back and allow the race to be about himself," Rothenberg said. "He would take the race to Stumbo and make the race about Stumbo … and anything and everything in Stumbo's background."

Stumbo said yesterday that he's not worried about McConnell attacks.

"I think Senator McConnell has some skeletons in his closet too. If he chooses that route, I promise him that it will be a two-way street."

Reporter Joseph Gerth can be reached at (502) 582-4702.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... e=printart

McConnell is out of touch with American people and not just Ky people. The fact that he supported Bush on immigration reform is enough reason not to support his re-election. I know that in his position he is suppose to support the President but when the President is wrong, McConnell needs to ensure that America's interest is first and foremost. Enough of politics, we need people to represent America's interest not a President who is doing everything possible to destroy America.

Attorney General Greg Stumbo is considering running against U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2008
    ...no disrespect to Mr. Stumbo but with a name like that (rhymes with "Dumbo"), you better be a real good candidate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)