Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LA Mayor returns to deal with rally fallout

Mayor returns to deal with rally fallout
    Friday, May 04, 2007 07:27:06 AM
    Associated Press and The Conservative Voice

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa planned to cut short a trade mission in Mexico on Friday to deal with fallout from police clashes at an immigration rally here earlier this week.

Authorities have launched several investigations into the Los Angeles Police Department's actions at the May 1 rally, where police fired 240 rubber bullets. Video images of the incident were broadcast worldwide.

Villaraigosa arrived in Mexico Thursday to promote investment, trade and tourism with Los Angeles, home to the largest Mexican population outside Mexico. He visited El Salvador earlier in the week.

"I've decided to go back because I think it is necessary to make sure people know everything is in order and we will conduct a thorough and transparent investigation," Villaraigosa told the Televisa news network late Thursday.

The FBI said Thursday it would open a civil rights inquiry into officers' conduct.

The preliminary inquiry seeks to determine "whether the civil rights of protesters taking part in the May 1st immigration rally were violated," according to an FBI news release.

Prior to the FBI announcement, Police Chief William J. Bratton said he inquire whether an FBI probe of Tuesday's clashes at MacArthur Park was possible.

"I have no issues with the FBI coming in ... and taking a look at it," he said.

The FBI probe is the fourth official investigation of the incident. The Police Department opened two investigations almost immediately after the violence, one to create an "after-action report" that evaluates planning and operations, and another by internal affairs to probe complaints against officers.

An independent review also has been undertaken by the investigative arm of the city's civilian Police Commission, a five-member board of mayoral appointees that sets policy for the Police Department.

Bratton said he hoped a federal review would show the department has nothing to hide while dispelling any claims that police had targeted immigrants or immigrant rights activists. Rally organizers decried the police behavior as brutal.

The clashes started around 6 p.m. Tuesday, when police tried to disperse demonstrators who moved into a street, according to rally organizers and reporters. Officers used batons to push the crowd back to the sidewalk after several people threw rocks and bottles at them, then cleared the park, authorities said.

News images showed police hitting a TV cameraman to the ground, shoving people who were walking away from officers and injuries from the rubber bullets. Bratton has said the use of force occurred while officers were trying to deal with 50 to 100 "agitators" who were trying to provoke police.

A police order to disperse probably wasn't effective because it was in English and given from a helicopter, Bratton said Wednesday. Many at the protest were Spanish speakers, he said.

Seven officers suffered minor injuries, and another was pushed off his motorcycle. About 10 other people were known to have been treated for minor injuries, though authorities expected the number to rise.

Police union leaders urged against a "rush to judgment."

"Our officers gave a legal dispersal order and were met with violence. In the coming days it will become clear what transpired," Los Angeles Police Protective League President Bob Baker said in a news release.

–––

Associated Press writer Julie Watson in Mexico City contributed to this report.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/ap/ ... 0&apc=9001
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa planned to cut short a trade mission in Mexico on Friday to deal with fallout from police clashes at an immigration rally here earlier this week.
    Hooray, we're saved
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Re: LA Mayor returns to deal with rally fallout

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Mayor returns to deal with rally fallout
    Friday, May 04, 2007 07:27:06 AM
    Associated Press and The Conservative Voice

It really says a lot about this mayor and his priorities for protecting his constituents and his law enforcement officers that he was in Mexico talking trade while our streets were over taken by protestors and illegals.

Did he not know that this march would occur? I am sorry but there is no excuse for him leaving not only his state, but his country knowing this was on the calendar. Our elected leaders better get their heads straight or we are going to make sure to elect someone in the next election that can and will do the job!

Villaraigosa arrived in Mexico Thursday to promote investment, trade and tourism with Los Angeles, home to the largest Mexican population outside Mexico. He visited El Salvador earlier in the week.
    Why is the mayor out lobbying for this kind of crap? Is it a mayor's job to travel to another country to promote investment, trade and tourism?
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I heard somewhere the mayor would attend the march before getting on his plane to say a few words but he didn't and that angered some people.

Also heard this morning on a talk radio show that some if not all of the water bottles thrown at the officers were frozen.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

jean wrote:
    Also heard this morning on a talk radio show that some if not all of the water bottles thrown at the officers were frozen.
    I've heard that too Jean. A lot of these so called pro-immigrant folks are nothing more than common street scum and likely affiliated with gangs. They bring every dirty trick imaginable with them to these marches and just pray for a chance to unleash their hatred on us or the police. I'm truly amazed someone hasn't been seriously injured at these marches.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

A police order to disperse probably wasn't effective because it was in English and given from a helicopter, Bratton said Wednesday. Many at the protest were Spanish speakers, he said.

This is ridiculous. This is the United States of America and there weren't enough people at this rally who speak English to understand a direct command from our law enforcement; and somehow they're going to make that our fault.

And, I wonder what the mexican government will have to say about this one and how will they get to meddle in our law enforcement with this incident and others across the country?