Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

La Raza: Support growing for Dream Act

Citizenship path for kids nears vote

Support is growing for the amendment, said Cecilia Munoz of the National Council of La Raza, "because many of these senators have met students who would be eligible for the DREAM Act."

Web Posted: 09/24/2007 11:27 PM CDT

Gary Martin
    Express-News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — The Senate could vote this week on legislation that would legalize children of undocumented immigrants and provide a path to citizenship through college enrollment or military service.

The measure, known as the DREAM Act, would allow immigrant teens in the U.S. illegally to attend college or enlist in the armed services to earn permanent status and eventual citizenship.

"It's not only good for these young people, it's good for our future," said Kevin Appleby with the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. "It would be foolhardy and unjust to turn our backs on them."

Some Republican lawmakers say they plan to oppose attachment of the DREAM Act amendment to the defense authorization bill, a massive piece of legislation that directs spending for the armed services.

"I do not believe it is a good idea to add immigration measures to a defense bill," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who was a leading opponent of a comprehensive immigration bill that failed in the Senate in June.

Cornyn said Congress should revisit comprehensive immigration reform, and not pass piecemeal remedies to a complex national problem that includes border security and employer sanctions.

At least 20 senators have indicated their opposition to the DREAM Act. Many of those conservative lawmakers have called it a backdoor amnesty.

Republican presidential hopeful Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado said "piggy-backing amnesty legislation onto a defense bill is completely unacceptable and a slap in the face to Americans."

Others with White House aspirations — including most Democrats, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee — support the legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has not signaled when the measure could come before the Senate for a floor vote, but proponents say it would come this week if there enough votes to move it forward.

The DREAM Act would need 60 votes to stop parliamentary procedures, or a filibuster, and move it toward a vote to attach it to the defense authorization bill.

Support is growing for the amendment, said Cecilia Munoz of the National Council of La Raza, "because many of these senators have met students who would be eligible for the DREAM Act."

"The support has been generated by the students themselves," Munoz said.

Specifically, the DREAM Act — or the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act — would allow about 65,000 undocumented children each year to become naturalized through education and military service.

The DREAM Act was first proposed several years ago. The revised legislation was introduced this year by Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... c9a1f.html

I would not believe a single word coming from LaRaza.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You and me both

They are admitting in many ways that we are winning. I hear panic even in that one. That being said, we can't give up
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wait, let me get this straight.. ILLEGAL ALIENS are visiting OUR SENATORS and swaying their vote in lieu of the will of the American People???

Maybe we should have some LEGAL CITIZENS SHOW UP FOR AN AUDIENCE?? YOU THINK THEY WILL LET US IN?

I would urge Washington ALipac'ers to go there with your kids and tell them NO on the DREAM ACT --- and if you do NOT get an audience, woe to them there Senators.

Mabye La Raza plans on bribing the Senators with the Tax Dollars they no doubt lobby for.. to use against us.

I think a campaign of "la raza the racist organziation" needs to be stepped up!

KEEP CALLING.

In Fact, I am gonna make some calls right now.

April
    Please take action against the DREAM ACT at:

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 364#484364