Labor Unions & Democratic Lackeys Aiming Hostile Fire At American Workers
Posted in Labor Unions, Politics & Government on August 18th, 2008

I‘ve got no burning love for Wal-Mart. I don’t shop there regardless of what they might be selling or how cheap it is. If they offered something that I really wanted at a price $20 bucks cheaper than their competitor, I would buy from their competitor and be more than happy to pay the extra money. I really don’t like Wal-Mart. I’ve personally seen how they treat their employees, and it is with absolute conviction that I say that, if I were facing starvation and homelessness, I would resort to robbing Wal-Mart Stores long before I would consider going to work for them. In the late 90’s I witnessed the impact one Wal-Mart had on a small Arizona community. They supplied quite a few low-paying jobs and relatively cheaper prices but they destroyed most of the town’s small retail outlets, and the family owned and operated businesses that had served the area honestly for decades simply couldn’t compete. Destroying all of the small competitors in town is not the full extent of the impact suffered. By moving into a small close-knit community and throwing up a big-box store that offers similar goods at drastically lower prices, Wal-Mart not only destroys their competition, they enter a new area with the conscious determination to undermine the loyalty of their competitor’s customer base, and in many cases, that loyalty was the accumulated result of faithful service over a long periods of time. Selling similar good at cheaper prices is a well accepted business practice that few would find fault with, however, setting out with the conscious intention to destroy the long-term trust and friendly relationships built up over many years between small but very dedicated family owned businesses and their neighborhood customers is purposely devious, and regardless of whether or not it is perfectly legal to do so, it is still unethical. Wal-Mart does not compete, they destroy, and after they’ve destroyed, they gloat about their ability ruin their competition. As I said, the impact of Wal-Mart goes beyond the destruction of their small competitors because the success of their effort is contingent on dividing the community, destroying long term relationships, undermining trust and tempting the morally challenged, weak-minded customers with cheap goods at even cheaper prices. Having a Wal-Mart move into a small town is the economic and psychological equivalent of being invaded by vampires. I am not a fan of Wal-Mart.

Regardless of what I think about Wal-Mart stores, I found myself supporting them when I read this morning’s newspaper article about how the AFL-CIO and three other labor groups have asked the Federal Election Commission to investigate whether Wal-Mart acted illegally when they forced their employees to attend meetings with store managers and supervisors for the purpose of lecturing them on the evils of electing liberal politicians. Apparently, Wal-Mart is concerned that if the Democrats prevail in the November elections they consider it very likely that they will pass legislation to remove the National Labor Relations Board requirement for secret ballot elections with respect to labor union organizing campaigns.

The final determination of whether or not a labor union can organize a company’s workforce is reached by a secret ballot election overseen by the National labor Relations Board. The labor union only needs to collect the signatures of 30% of a company’s employees to file a petition with the NLRB and force a vote. If the majority of the employees vote for union representation, the company really has no recourse in the matter. In states where there is no “Right To Workâ€