Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latino org says drunk driving deaths has led to prejudice

Latino organization says drunk driving deaths has led to prejudice
    April 17, 2007 07:56 PM EDT

The firestorm surrounding illegal immigrant Alfredo Ramos has burned the Latino community, says one band of hispanic community activists. Andres Tobar leads the Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations and says, "We're hearing that some of them are going to restaurants and not being served because they look Latino, seriously."

So today the Coalition organized a news conference to attack what they say is the only crime that killed Tessa Tranchant and Alison Kunhardt-- drunk driving, "We are as alarmed about drunk driving as everybody else," says Tobar.

Tessa Tranchant and Alison Kunhardt died March 30th. Virginia Beach police say Alfredo Ramos was intoxicated when he hit the girls. Since his arrest, the public outrage to crackdown on those here illegally, the activists say, has taken a racist turn against local Latinos. Walter Tejada is on the Arlington County Board of Supervisors." There are groups out there who listen to this and they make generalizations and profile people and that is simply wrong."

Now the Coalition -- which gathered at Saint Gregory's Church in Virginia Beach -- is starting an initiative with Mothers Against Drunk Driving to better educate the Latino community -- including illegal immigrants -- about the dangers of drunk driving. Augusto Ratti-Angula is the publisher and editor of the hispanic newspaper, El Eco, he says, "There are two newspapers and two radio stations aimed to the Latino market in Hampton Roads and we're going to use them at their fullness to reach the community."

Virginia Beach police are joining the effort, saying it's a great chance to communicate with Latino residents. Captain Ray Eisenberg says, "It doesn't matter what your ethnic background is driving drunk is not allowed."

Throughout the speeches, the activists passed their condolences to the Tranchants & Kunhardts who've lost so much.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6383917

So today the Coalition organized a news conference to attack what they say is the only crime that killed Tessa Tranchant and Alison Kunhardt-- drunk driving, "We are as alarmed about drunk driving as everybody else," says Tobar.

This would lead to a very interesting debate. His only crime is not the drunk driving. I take it he entered the country illegally, had false documentation, used the false documentation, drove on the road illegally even when sober...

More?

I would be furious as the parents to hear this was his 'only' crime.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

His formal record includes: 2 other DUIs, and, I think, a sex crime as well.

And, you should add: Illegal entry into US, working illegally.

Possibly: Using false documents, identity theft-related charges, etc.

Oh yeah, this is the kind of cheap labor our country really needs.
    Uh-huh.

Now, I won't try to speak for anyone else, but I know if I were to do all that, I know where I would be right now....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The firestorm surrounding illegal immigrant Alfredo Ramos has burned the Latino community, says one band of hispanic community activists. Andres Tobar leads the Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations and says, "We're hearing that some of them are going to restaurants and not being served because they look Latino, seriously."
    Who's the "they" you're talking about Andres? Illegal aliens?

The problem with these advocacy groups is they see no distinction between between hispanic/latino and illegal aliens. They want to blend everyone together and then claim discrimination/racist whenever people speak out against illegal immigration.

On the issue of DUIs in NC, here's a quote from one of NC's advocacy groups that support illegal aliens :

"It's difficult because you're trying to compete with the loneliness," said Tony Asion, public safety director for El Pueblo, an Hispanic advocacy group. "Then, as some learn, more come, and we start again."
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ght=pueblo

This madness must be stopped before another innocent citizen is murdered on our highways by someone who shouldn't be in the US in the first place.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.c ... &ran=34051

Hispanic leaders say they'll team up with MADD

“This is not about whether someone had documents or not,” said Walter Tejada, center, about Alfredo Ramos, an illegal immigrant who has been charged in a wreck that killed two local teens.
    DELORES JOHNSON/THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

By GILLIAN GAYNAIR, The Virginian-Pilot
    © April 18, 2007 | Last updated 9:31 PM Apr. 17

VIRGINIA BEACH - State Hispanic leaders Tuesday announced that they will team up with Mothers Against Drunk Driving Virginia, police departments and faith organizations in a campaign to combat drunken driving in their community.

The effort comes weeks after two teenage girls in the city were killed in a car crash that police say was caused by a drunken driver. Alfredo Ramos, who was in the country illegally, has been charged with aggravated involuntary manslaughter in the case. The incident has gained nationwide attention, spurring debate over Virginia's DUI laws, illegal immigration and the effectiveness of the criminal justice system.

On Tuesday, organizers focused on concern about drunken driving and what they can do to prevent it. They repeatedly expressed their condolences to the families of Alison Kunhardt, 17, and Tessa Tranchant, 16, who were killed in the March 30 wreck.

"This is not about whether someone had documents or not. This is about whether someone had a bottle to drink or not" and then got behind the wheel, Walter Tejada, vice chairman of the Arlington County Board of Supervisors, said during a news conference at St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church in Virginia Beach. "We are just as outraged at the incident here in Hampton Roads as anyone else."

In 2005, there were 700 crashes and 10 deaths in Virginia Beach caused by drunken driving, according to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.

Alcohol-related deaths numbered 322 statewide that year.

The new campaign against drunken driving will use a variety of venues to spread the word about state laws and the dangers of driving while intoxicated.

Plans include providing materials in Spanish from MADD, said Beatriz Amberman of Virginia Beach and founder of the Hispanic Community Dialogue. They include information for parents about underage drinking; messages that encourage people to give their car keys to someone else if they've been drinking, and a bingo game in which players learn about the consequences of driving after too many cocktails.

Amberman suggested that such activities could be included at local Hispanic festivals and other activities.

The Virginia Beach Police Department will join the campaign by extending its DUI-prevention program to Hispanic groups.

The police force has eight officers dedicated to detecting and prosecuting drunken drivers and educating the public about the issue, said Capt. Ray Eisenberg.

Representatives from the area's Spanish-language newspapers and radio stations vowed to step up efforts to educate Hispanics about drunken driving and DUI laws. Churches such as St. Gregory and St. Luke Catholic Church already carry educational materials about the problem and pledged support for the campaign.

"We always try to educate people in regards to any and every issue," said Janice Sigala of St. Gregory's Hispanic ministry, "and alcohol is one of the main ones because of the damage it can cause."

“This is not about whether someone had documents or not,”
    [sarcasm...] No, you're right. We should always look the other way when people outside the country come here illegally, habitually break our laws, kill our citizens, and then claim they are the victim!!!...
    [/sarcasm]
    Sure pal. That is arrogance in the extreme.
    No Mr. Tejeda, it absolutely IS about whether someone is here legally or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    His formal record includes: 2 other DUIs, and, I think, a sex crime as well.

And, you should add: Illegal entry into US, working illegally.

Possibly: Using false documents, identity theft-related charges, etc.

Oh yeah, this is the kind of cheap labor our country really needs.
    Uh-huh.

Now, I won't try to speak for anyone else, but I know if I were to do all that, I know where I would be right now....
    A criminal is a criminal is a criminal.... If I break the crossing the border illegally law why should I obey any other law? I can drive drunk, kill people, drive without insurance or a license, vote fraudulently, commit assault, robbery and any other crime I want.

The powers that be are working OVERTIME now to dismantle our 2nd Amendment rights!

However, it's A-OK for these criminals to use a vehicle as a WEAPON?
    And!!! get driver lisences or certificates???

There is so much wrong with this

Have you ever, seen such arrogant people as these groups and the illegal supporters have?

Rather than teach them about drunk driving, they need to tell them WHAT OUR LAWS ARE! THEY BROKE THEM COMING HERE!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!