Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos On Edge In Wake Of Arrests In Willmar

Latinos on edge in wake of arrests in Willmar
    Willmar residents fear another major raid as agents continue their search for certain illegal workers.

By Jean Hopfensperger, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 13, 2007 – 11:31 PM

Latinos on edge in wake of arrests in Willmar

I-35E bridge removal this weekend
    WILLMAR, MINN. -- A mobile-home park that is home to hundreds of Hispanics resembled a ghost town Friday, the fourth day of a government hunt for illegal immigrants that has shaken this western Minnesota city's Spanish-speaking community.
    There were no children -- or adults -- out in the yards or on outdoor decks. The streets were deserted. And the curtains were closed in most mobile homes, with the owners' cars parked next to them.

"Nobody goes out of their houses now," said Cecilia Gonzales. She, her husband and children were the only people venturing outside for a walk Friday afternoon. "And people aren't driving their cars. A lot of people aren't going to work. Everyone is scared."

Immigration attorneys estimate that about 50 people have been arrested in the Willmar area since Tuesday, when immigration agents began knocking on doors in search of illegal immigrants with felony records.

Since then, immigrants have been hypervigilant for the vans with darkened windows used by immigration agents. Almost like a game of cat and mouse, immigrants report the latest van sightings to a local immigrant advocate, just as immigration officials are keeping tabs on them.

After a flurry of arrests earlier in the week, Friday brought a strange calm. Maria Diaz, a community organizer who has been fielding hundreds of calls on the arrests, said she was informed about just three arrests Friday.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would not confirm any numbers, saying it's "an ongoing operation."

Meanwhile, some immigrants were going into hiding until the threat of deportation ended, advocates said.

Diaz, who hadn't slept in nearly two days, described the calls she'd been fielding.

"I've gotten calls from people saying, 'They just went to an apartment on Third Street,' " she said. "Or, 'They came and knocked on my door real hard, and then left.' Or, '[agents] took a person without a shirt living in a mobile home.' "

The climate of fear was devastating to local Hispanic businesses, particularly grocery stores, which are usually bustling on Friday afternoons. The aisles were practically empty Friday.

"Yesterday, they [ICE] parked their minivan right there," said Rodolfo Luna, a cashier at La Fiesta Market, pointing to the sidewalk in front of the downtown store. "People weren't coming in."It's affected business a lot," Luna said. "Even some of our workers didn't show up."

Targeted arrests

Willmar schools reported no major changes in attendance. But Diaz said many people weren't going to work, in particular at the Jennie-O meatpacking plants. Workers still have vivid memories of December's raids on Swift & Co. plants in Worthington, Minn., and elsewhere, advocates said.

In a prepared statement, Mike Tolbert, president of the Jennie-O Turkey Store, said the company had been in contact with ICE about a "small number of current and former employees."

ICE spokesman Tim Counts said agents were looking for specific individuals, not conducting random raids, as some immigrants speculated.

Most of those arrested are being held in Ramsey County and in Elk River, said Gloria Contreras Edin, executive director of Centro Legal in St. Paul. Some have managed to post bond. They include men and women from Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico, Diaz said.

Meanwhile, local religious and advocacy groups are collecting donations for families affected by the arrests. A community meeting with immigration lawyers is tentatively scheduled for Sunday.

Staff writer Dick Meryhew contributed to this report. Jean Hopfensperger • 612-673-4511 • hopfen@startribune.com

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1119611.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    That's GOOD NEWS!

Way to go, ICE!!!

Since then, immigrants have been hypervigilant for the vans with darkened windows
    After 911....I got an old van...not knowing it was one of the target vehicles. I swear I couldn't count the times I was pulled over and had it searched. It was a HAPPY DAY when I finally got rid of it. I mean I got hit either leaving or comming home every time I left the house.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee I wish they would do that here in Boston, I would like to have the streets cleared of illegal aliens. It would be like a ghost town in this city
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Dear ICE,

Please consider raiding PILGRIM'S PRIDE CHICKEN! TX, AR, LA...

Dixie

They need to be afraid. They have broken our laws, trashed our culture and threaten our sovereignty. I ran out of sympathy a long, long time ago.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    They need to be afraid. They have broken our laws, trashed our culture and threaten our sovereignty. I ran out of sympathy a long, long time ago.
    I agree but their fear is akin to the kind of fear we all have for auto accidents or lightning strikes. Kinda' like flocks of birds that flee en mass at the sight of a snake but soon return. Sure they're afraid but it's not intense enough to send them back, permanently. IMO, the necessary fear level will be achieved only when our apathetic American public rises up in anger and drives them out. I hope this post doesn't violate a rule.
    '58 Airedale

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Dear ICE,

Dixie

Ahh, maybe they can come to you after making a stop in Waukegan. It was so peaceful and quite around town during the Christmas break when so many folks went south. We have a trailer park right next to Waukegan which could use a visit. Or come to Franklin Foods, Lewis Produce...

Has anyone heard? Are citizen tips acted upon?

ear ICE,

Dixie

Dear ICE, please note that SOSADFORUS DITTO'S Dixies request!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

"And people aren't driving their cars. A lot of people aren't going to work. Everyone is scared."
    No car insurance.....no permit to drive.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast