Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos fight for political recognition

January 23, 2009

Latinos fight for political recognition

By Gebe Martinez

Puffed with pride after casting 10 million votes in November that were vital to President Barack Obama’s election, Hispanics are feeling empowered to make great demands on the new president.

But as Hispanics look to Obama to help realize their agenda, and as they take seats in the new president’s Cabinet and on congressional leadership teams, they also are facing an annoying reality: There remains a gap between the power they have earned and the Washington elite’s perception of their power.

One reason for the lag in perception may be that Latino policy leaders as well as individual members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus have matured politically at a faster speed than has the caucus as a whole.

As the civil rights groups, political organizers and lawmakers have steered Latinos toward unprecedented levels of activism, the congressional caucus — haunted by past internal fighting and disorganization — is still being challenged to show that the sum of its parts makes it as strong as it should be.

The result is a continuing — albeit lessening — struggle for acknowledgment and places at key leadership tables.

During a recent ceremony for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, its new head, House Small Business Committee Chairwoman Nydia M. Velazquez (D-N.Y.), pledged to her Latino colleagues, “I will work my heart out to make this Congressional Hispanic Caucus a force and a relevant institution.â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This was an old post but read as follows:
    [quote]Tancredo: No Black and Hispanic Caucuses in Congress
    Posted on January 25th, 2007 by ecthompson
    I think it is very easy for a White Man to stand up tell us how equal everyone is and should be. America isn’t equal. Not even close. So, Rep. Tom Tancredo is WAY out of line on this one. It is my opinion that he is just trying to get the Right Wing nut job vote locked up early.

Rolling Stone has named Rep. Tom Tancredo as one of the 10 worst Congressman. That’s quite a feat. You have to beat out over 500 people to be placed in this category.

———-

From MSNBC:

White House hopeful Tom Tancredo said Thursday the existence of the Congressional Black Caucus and other race-based groups of lawmakers amounts to segregation and should be abolished.

“It is utterly hypocritical for Congress to extol the virtues of a colorblind society while officially sanctioning caucuses that are based solely on race,â€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

[quote]Racist Caucuses in Congress.
    Governor 12-12-2008, 4:09 PM | Post #2603993 | 33 Replies 2
    Re. Cao, the Vietnamese congressman who took the Louisiana seat from the corrupt William Jefferson, would like to join the black caucus because two-thirds of his district is black. However, it most likely wont happen. You see, you apparently have to be black to join the caucus which begs the question, is there a white caucus? or a German-American one? or an Italian-American one?

The mere mention of trying to start any of those would deride the originator with calls of being a racist. However, when the tables are turned, its never the case.

This article talks about that.

There could be another clash in the offing about who should be able to join the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC).

Anh “Josephâ€

Caucuses
    Congressional Caucuses are formed by Members to provide a forum for issues or legislative agendas. A number of caucuses exist in the House and their primary function is to draw attention to issues of importance to their membership. Since he took office, Mike has founded five caucuses: The Congressional Caucus on Community Health Centers, the Congressional Caucus on Empowerment Zones and Enterprise Communities, the Congressional Caucus on Korea, the Congressional Caucus on Sudan, and the Congressional Former Mayors Caucus. A complete list of Caucus membership is provided below:

Congressional Caucus on Community Health Centers – co-founder and co-chair
    Congressional Caucus on Empowerment Zones and Empowered Communities – co-chair
    Congressional Caucus on Korea – co-founder and co-chair
    Congressional Caucus on Sudan – co founder and co-chair
    Congressional Former Mayor's Caucus – co-founder and co-chair

Addiction, Treatment and Recovery Caucus
    Alzheimer's Disease Congressional Task Force
    Americans Abroad Caucus
    Biomedical Research Caucus
    Bipartisan Congressional Refugee Caucus
    Bipartisan Disabilities Caucus
    Bipartisan Pro-Choice Caucus
    Cancer Caucus
    Coalition on Autism Research and Education
    Community College Caucus
    Congressional Arts Caucus
    Congressional Biotechnology Caucus
    Congressional Boating Caucus
    Congressional Brain Injury Task Force
    Congressional Brazil Caucus
    Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues
    Congressional Caucus on Central America
    Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues
    Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Affairs
    Congressional Caucus on the Netherlands
    Congressional Climate Caucus
    Congressional Coalition on Adoption
    Congressional Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Caucus
    Congressional Cystic Fibrosis Caucus
    Congressional Diabetes Caucus
    Congressional Fire Services Caucus
    Congressional Friends of Animals Caucus
    Congressional Human Rights Caucus
    Congressional Humanities Caucus
    Congressional Internet Caucus
    Congressional Kidney Caucus
    Congressional Labor and Working Families Caucus
    Congressional Mentoring Caucus
    Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus
    Congressional Mental Health Caucus
    Congressional Port Security Caucus
    Congressional Progressive Caucus
    Congressional Taskforce on International HIV/AIDS
    Congressional Travel and Tourism Caucus
    Congressional TRIO Caucus
    Congressional Vision Caucus
    Congressional Wildlife Refuge Caucus
    Friends of the Jobs Corps Caucus
    Historic Preservation Caucus
    Revitalizing Older Cities Task Force
    House Hunger Caucus
    House Nursing Caucus
    House Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education Caucus
    International Workers Rights Caucus
    National Guard and Reserve Components Caucus
    National Service Congressional Caucus
    Navy-Marine Corps Caucus
    Northeast-Midwest Congressional Coalition
    Oil and National Security Caucus
    Open Space Caucus
    Out of Iraq Caucus
    Patriot Act Reform Caucus
    Public Broadcasting Caucus
    Qatari-American Economic Strategic Defense, Culture, and Educational Partnership Caucus
    Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Caucus
    Research and Development Caucus
    Urban Caucus
    http://www.house.gov/capuano/issues/committees.shtml

Like they have not had political recognition? Let's remember Henry Cisneros, former HUD secretary and San Antonio mayor. He certainly had his day in the political lime light didn't he?
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    Like they have not had political recognition? Let's remember Henry Cisneros, former HUD secretary and San Antonio mayor. He certainly had his day in the political lime light didn't he?
    Let's add Bill Richardson to the list.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The point isn't recognition or representation, it's total control. It's never enough. They want their guarenteed seat based on race alone and the second they get in power the only people that matter are Latinos.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)