Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos start boycott in Waukegan; pull money from bank

City by city...they are worried about 287g spreading. Start asking your council to apply for 287g.

Latinos start boycott in Waukegan

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S2.article

July 4, 2007

By RYAN PAGELOW rpagelow@scn1.com

Church urges dialogue and patience instead

By withdrawing his money from a Waukegan bank and depositing in a bank outside the city, Raymundo Vara of Waukegan joins other immigrants in a boycott to put pressure on the City of Waukegan.

Mutterings of boycott began circulating last week and have gained more momentum this week among people who want to take a more aggressive stance against the City Council's decision to apply for training to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"We're all getting together," Vara said. "We're going to pressure the City."

By withdrawing money from Waukegan banks and avoiding shopping at gas stations and Wal-Mart, supporters of the boycott hope to affect the tax revenue the city receives.

"We have to let them know that we count in this community. We're paying taxes," said Vara, who is a legal permanent resident originally from Mexico.

On Sunday he said he was planning to transfer $25,000 from a Waukegan bank to another one outside of the city this week. Vara, who works in heating and cooling installation, said he had planned to use the money to invest in his own heating and cooling business in Waukegan. He now plans to wait because he believes the City Council's decision has hurt Waukegan's economy by causing fear in the immigrant community.

Meanwhile, leaders at Holy Family Parish, such as Rev. Gary Graf, have called for dialogue with the city and patience. In a flyer passed out at church, he wrote, "As pastor of your parishes, I ask you to please be patient and remain informed of how we are handling this process. I also urge you not to involve yourself in activities that will damage our efforts. We draw hope from the fact that we have an open dialogue with our officials and that they are interested in working with us."

On Sunday nearly a dozen Latino business and community leaders met at Belvidere Mall to plan to attend the July 2 City Council meeting to voice their opposition to 287(g) which would allow police to perform some immigration functions.

Tom Garcia, who owns a roofing business in Mundelein, attended the meeting and made signs that read "No 287(g)."

"I've come to help the people. I have friends in Waukegan and I worry about their situation. I don't want this to affect us in Mundelein."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We have to let them know that we count in this community. We're paying taxes," said Vara, who is a legal permanent resident originally from Mexico.
    Huh If she's a legal resident, then how PREY TELL does the enforcement affect her . . oh wait my bad its a race issue.

On Sunday he said he was planning to transfer $25,000 from a Waukegan bank to another one outside of the city this week. Vara, who works in heating and cooling installation, said he had planned to use the money to invest in his own heating and cooling business in Waukegan. He now plans to wait because he believes the City Council's decision has hurt Waukegan's economy by causing fear in the immigrant community.
    Why don't they all go one step further and transfer their money to banks in Messyco and go there and STAY so they can keep an eye on it. These people are nuts. They act as if our country will collapse without them or their meager tax contributions. If you are using 3 times the cost in services than you contribute in taxes, tell us again why we need or for that matter should want you here?
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

If the latinos are legal there is no problems but if they are illegal it is a problem If legal latinos are boycotting because we are trying to get rid of illegals, maybe we need to change the laws so that we don't do any immigration for a while until we get rid of all illegals.

Yeah....now go buy a ticket home
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Subject: Americans Shop in Waukegan Day, Sunday July 15

Mr. Pagelow:

Our national organization will send out a press release Monday morning announcing our "Americans Shop in Waukegan Day" for Sunday July 15. Americans from Chicago and across Illinois will be encouraged to go and shop and spend in Waukegan on this day to counter the boycott launched by the illegal alien supporters.

We would like to note, that all of the boycotts of this nature launched by illegal alien supporters in the SW US have FAILED miserably.

Here is the copy of the e-mail alert sent to over 11,000 of our supporters across the nation which asks them to prepare to be in the Chicago area next weekend. We are talking with other national organizations about their support of the counter to the boycotts.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=72550

I read your article and wanted to give you the scoop.

William Gheen
    President, Americans for Legal Immigration PAC (ALIPAC)
    www.alipac.us
    Post Office Box 30966, Raleigh, NC 27622-0966
    Tel: (919) 787-6009 Toll Free: (866) 329-3999
    FEC ID: C00405878
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope that's Bank of America.
    I just finished my BoA boycott, closing all accounts including a mortgage that took awhile. Working on pulling out of 5th Third now. This is getting confusing. Am I helping them or are they helping me?
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How to have an ineffective boycott, the illegal alien way! Do more economic hardship to yourself than the entity you are boycotting.

This is really stupid. Moving your money out of one bank in Waukegan and into another bank doesn't hurt the bank or Waukegan. Waukegan doesn't make any revenues off of financial transactions at the bank. They are going to put their money in another branch out of town. However, they are going to be driving further to do banking transactions and helping those local gas stations which are franchises and chains so they are actually going to profit over it.

Dixie

How can we get these people to boycott the whole United States and go home?
    <div>If you love this nation, please stop illegal immigration.</div>

When you buy property with stolen money or money gained through a crime such as drug dealing and get caught , it is all confiscated and goes into a fund for victims etc.

So why in gods name don't the assets of illegal immigrants get confiscated and put into a fund to send them home and enforce our borders?

It is hypocrisy to charge them a fine to stay in order to raise money protect our border from other people that would come here the same way those fined did.

A simple confiscation of property gained through the commitment of a felony crime would do much more for our country and borders and send a clear message not to step on us.

Any one caught holding property for an illegal alien in an attempt to hide it should also face loss of their own property as well. As for the man pulling his money out of the bank and moving it , good for him.

Where will he put it when the laws in America all reflect a distaste for felony invasion?

On Sunday he said he was planning to transfer $25,000 from a Waukegan bank to another one outside of the city this week.
    LOL!!!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast