Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lawmaker wants to ban 'illegal alien'

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 27039/1086

February 27, 2007

Lawmaker wants to ban 'illegal alien'

BY BILL COTTERELL
    FLORIDA TODAY

TALLAHASSEE -- A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term "illegal alien" from the state's official documents.

"I personally find the word 'alien' offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children," said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. "An alien to me is someone from out of space."

She has introduced a bill providing that "A state agency or official may not use the term 'illegal alien' in an official document of the state." There would be no penalty for using the words.

In Miami-Dade County, Wilson said, "we don't say 'alien,' we say 'immigrant.'"

She said she encountered the situation when trying to pass a bill allowing children of foreigners to get in-state tuition at colleges and universities. Wilson, who directs a dropout prevention and education program in Miami, said she politely asks witnesses at public hearings on such issues not to use the term.

"There are students in our schools whose parents are trying to become citizens and we shouldn't label them," she said. "They are immigrants, through no fault of their own, not aliens."

Wilson said the first word isn't as bad as the second.

"'Illegal,' I can live with, but I like 'undocumented' better," she said.

Asked if her bill (SB 2154) might run afoul of Gov. Charlie Crist's "plain speaking" mandate for government agencies, Wilson said, "I think getting rid of 'alien' would be plain speaking."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Personally, I find this crazy woman offensive, where does she get off by aiding and abetting illegal aliens instead of her constituents? she should be blitzed with angry mail from her constituents!

I would like to ban a whole lot of our leaders, what do you say?
    Build the dam fence post haste!

According to the United States Code if you are not a citizen or
    national of the United States, you are an "alien." If you are in the country without the authorization of the Attorney General, you are an illegal alien.

The opinion of the State of Florida is irrelevant.

Senator Wilson should return home. I think the village misses their idiot.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

In Miami-Dade County
    We've got news for you, the rest of the United States of America isn't interested in doing anything that Dade County does!!

Haven't you noticed?!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Politicans like her are what is destroying america. She needs to be honest and admit that they are illegal aliens. Dade needs to get rid of this woman as soon as possible.

Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami
    BITE ME
    and then go grow a brain

In fact, most of America would choose to do the exact opposite from anything Dade County does!!

Hey Lady, what's Dade County's public school ranking compared to the rest of the country ? ?!! Want to talk about that?!!

How about the crime rate in Dade County?! Let's talk about that!!

Unbelievable.

I have many names I could call this lady, but they probably wouldn't be politically correct either!

If you Google" Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami" you will see she comes directly from the Ted Kennedy school

Criminals work for me if they are not here legal.
    <div>If you love this nation, please stop illegal immigration.</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast