Lawmen tackle border security (6:32 a.m.)
By Karl Anderson / For the Sun-News
Article Launched: 05/06/2008 06:35:47 AM MDT

Click photo to enlargeDona Ana County Sheriff Todd Garrison, left, discusses border security issues with Otero County...«1»
RUIDOSO — A gathering of law enforcement officers, perhaps the largest in southern New Mexico, drew 27 sheriffs from New Mexico, Texas, Arizona and California to the Inn of the Mountain Gods near Ruidoso Monday for a two-day meeting of the Southwestern Border Sheriff's Coalition and the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition.

Others attending included U.S. Border Patrol agents, Texas Rangers, the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and an anti-terror officer from Holloman Air Force Base.

The event was hosted in part by the Otero County Sheriff's Department, which was represented by Undersheriff Norbert Sanchez and Lt. Leon Ledbetter. Sheriff John Blansett was unable to attend due to illness.

Sanchez and the 27 sheriffs represented all border counties from Brownsville, Texas, to San Diego.

"We decided to hold this event at the Inn of the Mountain Gods because it is such a good atmosphere," Sanchez said. "We wanted everyone coming to this event to have a great time."

Lincoln County Commissioner Tom Battin gave a brief, humorous history of Otero County having once been part of Lincoln County, and then spoke of Lincoln County Sgt. Robert Sheppard, who was seriously wounded by fugitive Kurt Sohrbeck on March 13.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sohrbeck was later shot and killed by an Otero County deputy after he was spotted in Cloudcroft.
"When (Sheppard) was shot, there were so many agencies and individuals came together with prayers and support of Sergeant Sheppard," Battin said. "I recently had the privilege and honor of personally introducing him at a recent event that drew 1,100 people.

"There I was, introducing this man to these people, a man whose very survival was a miracle in itself."

Greg Bloom, a field representative for U.S. Sen. Jeff Bingaman, read a letter his boss had addressed to the coalitions of his involvement and support of the Border Patrol Alliance.

Manny Gonzales, deputy field representative for Rep. Stevan Pearce, also spoke on behalf of Pearce in support of law enforcement agencies who work to secure the border.

"Congressman Pearce is very supportive of the work that you all do and the way you have to do it," he said. "It is an enormous job with extreme pressure."

South Texas Coastal Sheriff's Alliance Chairman and Victoria County Sheriff T. Michael O'Conner, of Texas, spoke about the funnel effect that sends everything between Brownsville and Del Rio toward Houston.

"That includes human illegals and drugs," he said.

Craig Webre, president of the National Sheriff's Association, said he has spoken at several venues on the topic of illegal immigration. Webre serves as sheriff of La Faude Parish in Louisiana, approximately 50 miles southwest of New Orleans.

"There are two points I always like to make," he said. "First, I believe that to be anti-immigration is to be anti-American. Think for a second about where you came from. Unless perhaps you are Native American, your ancestors all immigrated to the U.S. at some point. And second, our oath of office as sheriffs is not a conditional one. We have sworn to protect everyone in this country from harm.

"Having said that, we have a national vested interest in our own security and the safety of every person in this country, and at the same time to secure our borders.

"All of you, as sheriffs, are the experts on the border problems we face today. The criminal justice system begins and ends with the sheriff.

"Our scope of authority is much broader, and we serve the people who elect us."

Luna County Sheriff Raymond Cobos spoke of the situation in his county in 2004.

"It was a very bad situation," he said. "In Palomas, we had vehicle pursuits, stolen vehicles and so few resources that we were constantly impacted."

Cobos said it was the year the governor of New Mexico declared a state of emergency in Luna County.

"We then had a substation established in Columbus and were strengthened with assets from Border Patrol and the National Guard."

Cobos said things got so bad in Palomas that shootings on the border in broad daylight became a common occurrence.

"We have a lot of stores and businesses that are dependent on tourism, and our tourism dropped by 60 to 80 percent. It was caused by the increased danger.

"There were bodies on the border full of bullet holes."

Cobos also said he has seen effects on the border from the Sinaloan and Juarez drug cartels.

"It is a power struggle between the cartels," he said. "It is real and it is on the border."

Cobos spoke of Minutemen, private citizens who patrol the southern border, with mixed feelings.

"Every citizen who picks up the phone and contacts a law enforcement agency is an asset, but I am concerned about any individual or group that steps on dangerous ground and is not trained for it.

"Having said that, the Minutemen in our county have not interfered with our efforts on the border, at least not yet to my knowledge."

Doña Ana County Sheriff Todd Garrison said drugs are the biggest problem he sees, but that "coyotes," smugglers of illegal aliens from Mexico into the United States, are also an issue.

"We've had five recent murders, and all were committed by illegal aliens. Over the last 15 years, we have seen an increase of illegals that do bad things, as opposed to ones who used to come here as innocent immigrants to work on farms and ranches."

Garrison agreed with Cobos on the Minuteman issue.

"I think it is a good idea that people are taking an interest in vigilance, but I have real concerns about the lack of training these people have."

Garrison also said that from his experience, typical watch groups on the borders tend to attract racists.

Sanchez said he is certain there is an element of racism in some of the watch groups that operate on the border.

"I know that for a fact, and we know who some of them are. There is no doubt in my mind."

Sanchez said OCSD stands firm on its commitment to secure the border.

"We will continue enforcing the laws we swore to uphold," he said. "That has not changed and will not change."

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_9168592