Legal process must be followed
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 00302/1006

With regard to Mike Hall's letter in Thursday's paper ("Sympathy for illegals," Sept. 6) I would like to comment on the immigration issue — from the viewpoint of an immigrant. As much as I dislike the harsh tone of Mr. Hall's letter, on one point I must agree with him — that illegal immigrants should be deported. Whether they are sick, poor, in bad health, should not play a role in that decision.

The word "illegal" says it all — the immigrant is in this country in defiance of the laws of the land. As I said, I am an immigrant — a legal one, an American citizen, who loves her chosen country — and obeys its laws. Yes, it was a difficult and long road to be able to come here the "correct" way. Applying for a visa was the first step. It involved presenting a far-reaching personal history, as well as important data about my family of origin. It also required sponsorship of American friends. That process took nearly six months.

After arriving here, I had to carry my "green card" with me at all times, and report my whereabouts to the immigration authorities at the end of every year. Then, after five years in this country, I was eligible to apply for citizenship. In order to become a citizen, one has to be knowledgeable about this country — its history, political structure and laws. Upon my application, I was provided with the necessary reading materials (and it was all in English!)

Finally, I had to appear at the immigration office in Kansas City, where my knowledge of this country, its history and laws and language (yes!) were tested. Several months later, in a moving ceremony in Kansas City, I, along with many others, was awarded American citizenship. It had been a long drawn-out process, and required my cooperation with that process — but the reward, of being a part of this country that I love, was well worth it.

But, as a citizen, I also feel resentment against the illegal immigrant, who bypasses all this, takes the good of this country and does not give anything in return. Not only that, but an illegal immigrant's first act here — entry into the country — is an act against the law ... Why should he/she receive amnesty for that?

And why do we bend over backward to provide translation of even the most common public information in one particular foreign language? Should a person wanting to live in this country not learn the language, first of all? After all, this is an English- speaking country! How can one obey the laws, if one can't read them? I don't care what language people speak in their own home, but in public, residents of this country should converse with others in the country's language — it's just a matter of courtesy.

So, while I may not agree with Mr. Hall's ranting against the newspaper, I do definitely agree with his statement that illegal immigrants should be deported, as soon as their status becomes known. Then, if they still wish to live here, they could embark on immigration the "legal" way. And, once here legally, they will have to "return the favor" by becoming responsible residents, obey the laws, and yes, pay taxes. I did, and I do.

Heide Kelly, Fair Grove