Thread: The Legal Route

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Legal Route

The Legal Route

Although I don't agree with some aspects of this article, I do agree with the highlighted sections.

06:41 AM CDT on Friday, September 21, 2007

From abroad, a foreigner watching Washington's immigration debate this week could easily conclude that only fools choose the legal migration route.

Inside the Capitol, Congress renewed debate over the Dream Act, a measure with bipartisan support that promotes higher education, in-state tuition and potential citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

Outside the Capitol, a group of highly skilled legal immigrants gathered quietly, waving American flags, to express the sense of unfairness they feel about the hassles of working and studying here legally.

Thousands of foreign students and skilled workers – exactly the people we need to fill crucial job vacancies – are waiting in line, filling out forms and typically spending years going through the painstaking process of qualifying for the right to work or study here. But they face lengthy delays because of a huge backlog of applications awaiting government security and certification checks.

The same is true of highly skilled workers already here on temporary visas but whose permanent status remains in limbo. These are immigrant doctors, nurses, engineers and other foreigners whose services we need.

Since 1990, there's been an annual cap of 140,000 employment-based green cards and 65,000 temporary work visas. The cap is far short of filling our employment gap, but measures to boost the limits stalled during congressional debate this summer over comprehensive immigration reform.

Gov. Rick Perry is one of 13 governors who say this situation needs fixing. We agree.

As it stands, Congress is sending a conflicting message abroad: Take the legal route of immigration, and you are virtually assured of hassles and frustrating delays. Do it illegally, and an education might await your children.

This newspaper favors addressing the aspects of illegal immigration, including Dream Act provisions, through comprehensive reform. But in the meantime, let's not neglect those who are standing in line, waiting patiently and following the rules.

Congress needs to show the world that we reward those who immigrate legally. At a minimum, we need to stop penalizing those whose only fault is obeying the law.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7fa5a.html

FedUpDeb

It does not pay to try and become legal and it does not pay to be an American Citizen in the eyes of our current administration, congress or in the senate.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

In the year 2001, 9 out of 10 American IT jobs went to foreigners, as we were being laid off in droves. These people are now the ones demonstrating for green cards.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    In the year 2001, 9 out of 10 American IT jobs went to foreigners, as we were being laid off in droves. These people are now the ones demonstrating for green cards.
    But, but, but we will not do IT jobs. Everyone knows that the illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won't do. We prefer the unemployment lines since we now do not even qualify to flip burgers at the great arches in the sky. I mean, until our unemployment runs out, then we dream of graduating to living on the streets.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We "need" the skilled immigrants--in part--because our population is so swollen with illegals. Just as we are going to "need" a huge public investment in infrastructural improvements, in schools, in transportation, in low cost housing, in policing--and on and on. If certain liberals get control of the direction of this country it will be an unending spiral of: public works, immigration, taxes, welfare programs, more immigration...

I think a fear of a spiraling of defense related spending is justified on the other extreme--what Pres. Eisenhower referred to as the " military-industrial complex." Perhaps we should try "understanding" instead. I am ashamed at how little the typical American understood about Russia and Eastern Europe and so we were willing to give our government unlimited sums to fight the Cold War. I think I would have rather grown up in Prague or Budapest than a gang-infested US inner city environment; but what we saw of those areas was all in black and white TV and intermixed with old newsreeels of bombed out German cities. I certainly did not understand much about that part of the world.

We do not understand much about Arabic culture yet devote billions to warring with it. Notice I did not say "embrace": I said "understand." I suppose it is a difficult balance: Get too close, let your guard down and they will steal your secrets--and your livelihood when you are not looking.

If we can control immigration I think we can get a better handle on what we truly need. We may find that some of those expenditures that we are gearing up for, at the behest of "experts," are not needs after all. The artificially swollen population increase, due to illegal immigration, is skewing all of our decisionmaking.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you for posting. This is a duplicate thread however and any further postings will be added to the original thread. Please use the Search feature with title and author or other wording to help reduce duplicate threads.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ht=#480725

This thread is locked.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.