Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Let undocumented students have chance at better future

Bleeding heart illegal alien hugger Des Moines Iowa Register Editorial:

Let undocumented students have chance at better future

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... /-1/LIFE04
    September 24, 2007
    2 Comments

Think of all the young immigrants who grew up in the United States who are watching to see whether Congress finally will pass the Dream Act.

Their parents brought them to this country illegally, some still in diapers. They are undocumented, but otherwise they feel like Americans. They can go to public schools through 12th grade because of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, but then the door to the future slams shut.

Most can't afford college because they can't get federal financial aid. They can't get a job legally, either. They can't even get a driver's license.

It's been estimated that 65,000 undocumented students graduate from U.S. high schools each year.

Giving them a future in this country is not only in their interest, but in the nation's interest. The United States needs more young, well-educated workers to compete in the global economy. It needs them to help support the social safety net for older Americans.

Sen. Richard Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, hopes to introduce the Dream Act in an amendment to a Department of Defense bill next week.

The legislation would provide temporary legal status for undocumented young people under strict conditions. They must have come to the United States before age 16, have lived here at least five years, and be under age 30 to qualify. They must graduate from high school, have a good record otherwise, and complete two years of college or military service. Then, they can become legal permanent residents and eventually U.S. citizens.

Bipartisan support has grown since the Dream Act first was proposed in 2001. That's because it makes so much sense.

Broader reform of immigration laws is needed as well. But the collapse of efforts toward comprehensive reform should not hold up passage of the Dream Act now. Even opponents of amnesty for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants here surely understand it's unfair to punish undocumented children, many of whom have never even visited the countries where they were born. They grew up here. They want to be full-fledged Americans.

The Senate should pass the Dream Act, then the House should follow suit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments:

Reader Comment Posted by: PeaceMom
    on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:42 am

Out govt doesn't even do this for U.S. citizens. why should it provide all of this for ILLEGALs? Why doesn't the DMR editorial writers do something about helping U.S. citizens first? Oh, that's right... that would mean coming down off the far left bench....

Reader Comment Posted by: DollarsAndSense
    on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:39 am

As long as the first classes include Law Enforcement, Living With Your Own Identity, and My Parents Impact My Future.

Why does this sound like someone suggesting that we help the children of convicted felons? Would people turn to crime just to fund their child's education? Millions of illegal immigrants are hoping for just that.

One of the first things taught in school is that you can't "cut in line". So, the first field trip should be back to the country they came from and for everyone to "get back in line".

Sorry if this sounds cruel, but we are not in a position to solve all of our current citizens needs...they last thing we need is to include another country worth of needy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Umm NO!

How about let AMERICAN students have a chance at a better future. Those are the only students that our elected officials should be concerned with.

CALL FAX E-MAIL.

CALL TALK RADIO

WE WILL WIN THIS BATTLE-NO AMNESTY. NO AMNESTY FOR LAWBREAKERS-REGARDLESS OF AGE OR SITUATION.

LINK TO ARTICLE PLEASE

This particular issue really burns me up! I know I've commented
    on this before, but we have had to take on a lot of debt to send
    our daughter to college because the state of Illinois will not grant
    her resident status, BUT they will give resident status and in-state
    tuition to children of illegal aliens.

We had so many bills after my 2nd bout of cancer, I liquidated a
    small IRA that I had to pay some of my medical bills off. I took
    out $3500, and the IRS told me I had to pay them an additional
    $1000 in taxes.

It's ludicrous--you can't catch a break if you're a U.S. citizen, but
    everything for the foreigners. I'm sorry the parents of these young
    people were stupid enough to break the law. I'm tired of hearing
    that they came here for a better life. It's not as if they were starving
    in mexico. I just don't consider the pursuit of a big-screen tv and an
    automobile justifiable reasons for breaking the laws of the USA.

The way things are going, I'll end up living in a cardboard box under
    the bridge.

I hear ya, slantedplanet and I'm totally with you. More and more citizens are waking up to turn back the invasion.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Slantedplanet, you are exactly right, and I can't say I feel any compassion any more for these people as breaking our laws means nothing to them, they believe they have some inherent right to our country, our jobs, our childrens education and any thing else they can take from an American.

It is pretty bad when illegals get preference over our childrens education!!
    NO NO NO help our kids not theirs!!!! Thats where we want OUR tax money going!!

THE "DREAM" BELONGS TO THE AMERICANS (HENCE) THE AMERICAN DREAM!!!

---------------------- RED ALERT NOW"-----------------------
    ALL HANDS ON DECK STOP THE..

DREAM ACT" "NOW"
    NEW POSTING TREAD FOR RED ALERT
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=84409
    CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATORS , NEWS, RADIO, ECT.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 761#384761
    PLEASE CONTRIBUTE ! WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT ALIPAC!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

It's ludicrous--you can't catch a break if you're a U.S. citizen, but
    everything for the foreigners. I'm sorry the parents of these young
    people were stupid enough to break the law. I'm tired of hearing
    that they came here for a better life. It's not as if they were starving
    in mexico. I just don't consider the pursuit of a big-screen tv and an
    automobile justifiable reasons for breaking the laws of the USA.
    THIS IS NOT FAIR. AMERICAN STUDENTS SHOULD COME FIRST AND FOREMOST. WHEN EDUCATION SEATS AND FUNDS ARE GIVEN TO ILLEGALS IT DISPLACES SOME AMERICAN STUDENTS FROM EVEN GETTING AN EDUCATION. OTHERS GO FAR INTO DEBT. MONEY USED FOR ILLEGALS SHOULD GO TO AMERICAN STUDENTS.

"Even opponents of amnesty for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants here surely understand it's unfair to punish undocumented children, many of whom have never even visited the countries where they were born. They grew up here. They want to be full-fledged Americans. "

First off its a measly 12 million when they want Amnesty. When they are marching en-mass waving Mexican flags, they boasted over 30 million strong "today we march, Tomorrow we vote" till someone started adding up the family members the 30 + million wanted to take along for the ride.

So now we have lost 18 Million Mexicans I wish it was that easy.

As far as never leaving this country to visit south thats a crock. In Arizona I saw as many cars registered to Mexico as Arizona.

Even opponents of amnesty for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants here surely understand it's unfair to punish undocumented children, many of whom have never even visited the countries where they were born. They grew up here. They want to be full-fledged Americans.
    ILLEGALS COME HERE AND BRING THEIR CHILDREN HERE TO USA. SOME OF THEM HAVE NEVER VISITED USA AND ARE HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME. SO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PROBLEM IS IN REVERSE.

IMMIGRANTS ALL OVER THE WORLD GO TO LIVE AND WORK IN COUNTRIES WHERE THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN BEFORE. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO GOING BACK TO THE COUNTRY IN WHICH THEY HOLD CITIZENSHIP....ALL OF THE SUDDEN ITS A PROBLEM. SORRY THAT DOESNT WASH WITH ME.

Welcome to ALIPAC "no2amnestymom"

You can not pick and chose when it comes to amnesty, illegal is illegal and we must send the message that illegals will not get special treatment or amnesty, we have done amnesty several times and it does not work. Hence, the invasion, we must be strong and take a stand, we all feel for these kids but they do have family's. Family members who broke our laws and put their children in this predicament

If you give amnesty to these young people when they turn 21 they will be able to petition for all of their extended family to come here.
    If they return to their home country with their family's they will be just fine, infact probably better than being separated.

Many family's move to foreign country's and they manage just fine, these people need to go back to their homeland and fight to make it a better country.They received a free education here and should be glad for it, most of these country's need educated people, and they will get them thanks to American taxpayers.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast