Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Letter from U. S. Sen. Barack Obama

Thank you for contacting me about the immigration reform debate. I appreciate your strong feelings on this issue.

Public concern and frustration about unchecked illegal immigration on the United States is growing dramatically, and I agree with those who believe that President Bush and Congress must step up to the plate and address this problem, sooner rather than later. Illegal immigration has significant adverse effects not only on American workers but also on our communities’ health and education infrastructure. Also, I understand the strong feeling within Illinois that undocumented immigrants should not be rewarded for flouting U.S. law.

The challenge facing President Bush and Congress is how to effectively stop the flow of illegal immigrants across our borders and deal with illegal aliens who are already living and working in this country. I appreciate that many disagree on how to actually solve this problem. But it is significant that the Department of Homeland Security recognizes that identifying and deporting 11 million undocumented workers currently working in this country would not only be extremely difficult logistically, it would be disruptive to the American economy.

In an address to the nation, President Bush argued that the most reasonable and effective response is to stop the entry of illegal aliens across our borders, prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants, and establish an orderly, rational path to citizenship for law-abiding immigrants who are already here and contributing to our country. The President said:

Some in this country argue that the solution is to deport every illegal immigrant, and that any proposal short of this amounts to amnesty. I disagree. It is neither wise, nor realistic to round up millions of people, many with deep roots in the United States, and send them across the border. There is a rational middle ground between granting an automatic path to citizenship for every illegal immigrant, and a program of mass deportation. That middle ground recognizes there are differences between an illegal immigrant who crossed the border recently, and someone who has worked here for many years, and has a home, a family, and an otherwise clean record.

President Bush has the right approach to a difficult and highly emotional problem. The immigration reform bill I voted for last year, and the President supported, would have provided more funds and technology for border security and strengthened the employment eligibility confirmation system so that employers are unable to skirt our laws by hiring illegal immigrants. It also would have provided immigrants who are now contributing and responsible members of society an opportunity to remain in the country and earn citizenship. But not all illegal immigrants would have been guaranteed the right to remain in the U.S. under this proposal; they would first have had to pay a substantial fine and back taxes, learn English, satisfy a work requirement, and pass a criminal background check.

You may also be interested to know about three amendments I offered to this bill last year. The first amendment strengthened the requirement that a job be offered at a prevailing wage to American workers before it is offered to a guest-worker. It also ensured that communities where the American unemployment rate is high will not experience unnecessary competition from guest-workers.

The second amendment was a collaborative effort with Senators Charles Grassley (R-IA), Edward Kennedy (D-MA), and Max Baucus (D-MT) to create a new employment eligibility verification system. The legislation made it simple, but mandatory for employers to verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the United States. This is probably the single most important thing we can do to reduce the inflow of undocumented workers into the United States.

The third amendment authorized $3.125 million a year for the next five years to allow the FBI to hire additional staff and take other steps to improve the speed and accuracy of the background checks required for immigrants seeking to become citizens.

This immigration reform bill passed the Senate by a 62 to 36 bipartisan vote, but a joint House/Senate conference committee appointed to reconcile the differences between this bill and a separate version passed by the House of Representatives (H.R. 4437) couldn't complete its negotiations before Congress adjourned. I look forward to continuing to work in the present 110th Session of Congress with President Bush, my colleagues in Congress, and the people of Illinois on an immigration bill that respects the rule of law and deals responsibly with the illegal immigrants here in our country. I appreciate your thoughts, suggestions and guidance as this process continues.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
    United States Senator

Are you kidding?

Sen Obama,
    I am glad to hear that you do have a concern over this issue. I must take a differing tack on what your proposal would seem to be as president. First, I am damn tired of listening how we MUST consider how deeply the US economy would be adversely affected, how deeply rooted the illegals here have become etc. Have we fallen so far as a country that we now must consider how to allow others to dictate our national policy? Are we not the masters and controllers of our own destiny? Do we as a nation have such spineless out of control persons in it that we have no say in how OUR nation is governed? Let me say that I do support LEGAL immigration, but, I am never for providing 5 BILLION dollars per year to illegal immigrants who are doing nothing more than trashing our country on one hand and then putting a hand out for free money on the other. Have you seen the negative impact of illegal immigration in California? Have you seen how a group of people not wanting to pay for healthcare can destroy a hospital and emergency system, and leave the rest of us with the bill? See California, specifically San Diego and Los Angeles. See Texas, specifically El Paso and the southern border. See Arizona, and New Mexico etc. How is it that you and your compadres in the senate seem to have no backbone to solve this issue in the manner in which it needs to be solved. It seems as though there is a deal going on with Mexico to not close the border and have a free for all with illegalls passing at will, drug traffickers polluting our country with vile filth, and no questioning as to how we are affected as Americans. Deep problems for the economy? I say sir, that we are there now. It is not a possibility, it exists for every middle class person who pays actual taxes every April 15th. Those who say that illegals pay taxes simply do not understand the system. They do pay daily taxes, like the 54 cents per gallon of gasoline the federal government gets at the pump. They pay sales tax, they pay even taxes for cigarettes, beer etc. But, what about homeowners? We pay property tax, insurance etc, but what does this net us? It nets us more programs for welfare, illegals, spanish speaking signs, piss poor prisons, turning the other cheeck with gangs etc. I think that no one really wants to solve the problem the way it needs to be solved to save our country. It seems that the only way we are going to solve this, if we take the "leadership" you and your compadres in the senate have provided is to just open the borders, and let what was once special, noble, and honorable be overrun by the refuse of other countries who have no heart, love or desire to protect the constitution.
    Having said all of the above, I wish to state that I am all for LEGAL immigration, because folks who are here legally seem to care more about preserving and protecting the constitution rather than gathering around it for a handout. Folks who are here legally seem to have a more vested interest in being a part of this country rather than making it into "The old country". Your statements were a nice political spin, and political point. However, I have to ask, WHAT ABOUT US? When do people born in this country and who are here legally get considered? When do we get a say? What in the hell is wrong with this country when there are places one can speak english and be NOT be understood? Where is OUR say to Mexico, and other countries, that there will be no more unfettered crossing of the border. In short, we have elected YOU to protect us from the sea of people who get to thumb their nose at OUR laws and then have the gall to chastise US for being insensitive! Where the hell are you people who are supposed to be watching over the budget, and keeping the country safe from those who seek to destroy us? Do you honestly think that Al Qaeda hasnt thought about sending people across the border? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE???!!!!!! What planet do you live on? You have a unique opportunity. To serve in the Senate of the United States of America, and to make a real difference in what you do. History is watching Mr. Obama, what are you going to do?
    "I'm An American, and I'm PISSED OFF!!!"

Just because they made it to Washington, they have no right to deny our demands!

They all think they are so smart, that they will do whatever they want, without any input from citizens!

And I am fed up with this attitude!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

arrow 782201

Great reply !

arrow782001, I hope you have actually sent your response to Obama. He needs to hear those words.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!