Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I believe the article said that courses would be taught both in Spanish AND French. That was the deciding factor in my decision. If it had said that they would only be offered in SPANISH, I would have been four-square against it.

Maybe The Watchdog brought up a good point about the WAY in which it's being done. Maybe the immersion being used to teach math and science as opposed to just offering classes in other language would be a dealbreaker for me.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    I believe the article said that courses would be taught both in Spanish AND French. That was the deciding factor in my decision. If it had said that they would only be offered in SPANISH, I would have been four-square against it.

Maybe The Watchdog brought up a good point about the WAY in which it's being done. Maybe the immersion being used to teach math and science as opposed to just offering classes in other language would be a dealbreaker for me.
    Ah, I love the taste of boot. I guess I should open my other eye. I am still in belief that it is a facade, and just a way to have classes taught in Spanish. This is something I would like to see more about as it progresses. I would like to see the class ratios, and see how many are English only speaking, taking either language, vs. Spanish only.

Another question, what level of e.g. science would these kids be taught? They will not be learning much "science" if they are too busy trying to understand the teacher, right?
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

I really think your point, rakishoner, is a good one. It would be kind of hard to understand two new concepts at the same time and I think it WOULD be confusing for kids to do that. My first reaction was exactly like yours and then I decided maybe I had missed something so I reread the article and was almost disappointed when it listed French as well!! I was ready to go on a tear about cramming Spanish down the throats of our children!!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

We had a proposition here in COLORADO paid for by RON UNZ of California who paid for 227 in California and he also paid for it in MA and AZ where it passed. a PROPOSAL TO END BI-LINGUAL EDUCATION! It failed here in Colorado and why? Patricia Stryker, who is one of the richest persons in the US (Her grandfather started STRYKER medical products) donated $3 million to defeat the proposal. Why did she make the largest donation in Colorado political history? Because she had some relatives in one of these bi-lingual schools learning Spanish.

The proposal was to HELP immigrant kids to learn English but this DEMOCRAT wacko killed it! The opponents ran television ads telling white voters in white areas that Hispanic immigrants would soon be in their schools thereby destroying the quality of the schools and this scare tactic worked! Our $#%^&^$## Republican governor failed to support the amendment as well and why not? Owens is a fish!

By outlawing bi-lingual education you immerse the non English speaking kids with English so they will learn English. This is good! But, the school districts with their leftist bent would rather send recruiters to Mexico at taxpayer expense looking for teachers qualified to teach scienc and math in Spanish and they can't find them because it is hard enough to find them that speak just English.....math and science teachers that is....

I speak Spanish because I immersed myself in Spanish in Honduras and Guatemala and other places like hehehehhe Los Angeles.....

The sons and daughters of the rich in LATIN AMERICA send their kids to the finest bi-lingual schools in those countries and when the kids get to age 18 they come to the US of A to study and hopefully NOT on those State Department Scholarship I have complained about where your tax dollars go to potential Arab terrorists....? YUP it could happen!

IF every school district would offer just one hour of foreign language instruction starting in first grade be it French or Japanese etc then those kids would basically know a second language well by age 18. I do not support what this post says however where all instruction is done in the foreign language...that is a waste of taxpayer funds....

So, why are the sons and daughters of poor illegals being catered to in Spanish HERE when the rich back home want their kids to learn English? Can we say screwed up prioprities?

BTW Ron Unz who paid for 227 in Ca and the proposals in MA and CO and AZ is worth like $10 million and Patricia Stryker who gave the $3 million....she is worth like $887 million so what was $3 million to this b$%#@#%$

This is why I so hate the Democratic Party....it is true..they talk about the poor and the middle class and then we have a proposal to better educate these illegals using ENGLISH only and these hypocrite DEMOCRATS strike it down! As I have said, Boulder Colorado home of the University loves affirmative Action and ILLEGALS yet in the whole Denver area less minorities live in Boulder than anywhere else! Howard Dean elitist hypocrites for sure!

I agree with your idea about teaching a foreign language from the early grades on because that is when children are the most receptive and I see your point about immersion in Science and math.

And, you are right about the Democrats but, based on all we hear from the Republican party, there really is just a fine line that divides the two on the illegal immigration issue because the Republicans don't want to lose the hispanic vote any more than the Democrats. It makes me PROUD to be an Independent MODERATE. I can see issues from the best vantage point and make decisions that are NON-partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    It makes me PROUD to be an Independent MODERATE. I can see issues from the best vantage point and make decisions that are NON-partisan.
    Who-rah! More power to you Bootsie, make them aware that they need to prove to you, keep your options wide open!
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

I REALLY love it when elections are really close and they are BEGGING for those Independent votes!!! I make 'em SQUIRM!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12