Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Liberian Immigrants In Minn. Fear Deportation

Liberian Immigrants In Minn. Fear Deportation
    Mar 22, 2007 8:02 am US/Central

Lisa Kiava

(WCCO) Brooklyn Park, Minn. Minnesota is home to the United States' largest population of immigrants from Liberia, but many families who have made their home in the state now fear they may soon be deported.

When thousands of people from the west African country came to Minnesota legally during the 1990s, they were escaping a country torn by civil war, where torture and rape were rampant.

Now that the country has a new president and the war has ended, the U.S. said some Liberians should return home. The temporary protection status granted to about a thousand Liberians in Minnesota will expire this fall.

While immigration agents said the government would not round up immigrants and cart them back to Liberia, they would not be allowed to renew their work papers. After the deadline, they would essentially be living in the country illegally.

"I'm not getting it at all," said immigrant Oretha Anderson, who sends money to two dozen relatives in Liberia because the country is still in ruins. "It's not safe to live at all. It's not safe for the children, it's not safe for us. Those that live there, they just live by the grace of God."

Metchien Richards worried for what could happen to her U.S.-born son if she were forced to return to her homeland, a place with no clean water, no jobs and scarce electricity.

"Oh my goodness," exclaimed Richards. "If I have to go home, who's going to take care of my child?"

Richards learned recently that she would be allowed to stay in the U.S., but the deadline looms for other immigrants.

Many of the state's Liberian residents live in Brooklyn Park. The city has argued it would have a negative civic impact if they were forced to leave.

"If people are leaving the country, then those houses might end up being abandoned," said Brooklyn Park economic director Joel Spoonheim. "They might be foreclosed on, so they end up being vacant."

The city is collecting data it hopes will show the extent to which Liberians contribute positively to their community, which will be used to aid lobbying efforts in Washington.

"We are appealing. We are begging, begging," said Richards. "Sign this bill for us."

http://wcco.com/seenon/local_story_081090648.html

"Oh my goodness," exclaimed Richards. "If I have to go home, who's going to take care of my child?"
    You are going to take care of your own child. There's no reason your child can't go with you.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

I can feel some sympathy for the Liberians, since Liberia is a country formed by former American slaves in 1822. They have or had a constitution almost identical to ours and their flag is identical to ours, but with only one star. They considered themselves to be Americans for many years.

But, they understood when they came here, that it was only a temporary arrangement.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Bttt
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)