Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Local Hispanics fear state legislation in Georgia

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/061 ... 3073.shtml

Local Hispanics fear state legislation

Attorneys from the Hernan Taylor & Lee law firm answer legal questions Friday at Oasis Católico Santa Rafaela, a Catholic mission off U.S. Highway 29. The law firm has offices in Roswell and Canton as well as in Mexico.

By Joe Johnson | joe.johnson@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 12:31 AM on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
    Rosa came to the United States illegally, but her two young children are American citizens because they were born here.

Still she's afraid if they get sick, the whole family could get sent back to Mexico.

"I am very afraid," the 31-year-old woman said. "If I have to bring my children to the hospital, I am afraid I could be deported, and if one parent is deported, the family is going to be destroyed."

Rosa's not alone in her fears - and confusion - about pending new immigration laws in Georgia and others being debated in Washington.

She was one of the more than 100 area migrants who showed up for an informational session at a predominantly Mexican trailer park in northern Clarke County Friday evening to hear Spanish-speaking attorneys explain the new laws and help them prepare for possible U.S. citizenship.

The event was sponsored by Oasis Catolico Santa Rafaela, a Catholic mission based in the Pinewoods Estates North trailer park off U.S. Highway 29 North.

"This is a beginning; it's education about the situation," said Sister Margarita Martin, one of the mission's nuns.

"Any information the people can get is important, because there is so much misinformation out there in the media."

All tables in the picnic area of the mission were filled during the open-air forum, which was ringed by men still in their work clothes and women holding children or with baby carriages.

Rosa's concerns are typical of migrants living in Georgia since Gov. Sonny Perdue signed the Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act on April 17. The new law, which takes effect July 1, 2007, will deny some social services to migrants, require jails to determine the immigration status of certain inmates and calls for a "memorandum of understanding" with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to give immigration enforcement powers to local police.

"I am very afraid right now," said Maria, a 27-year-old with a 3-year-old son who said she feels like a prisoner in her own home.

"What if there is a roadblock and they find out we don't have papers, and they deport us?" Maria said. "Right now, life is very difficult because all I do is stay at home because I am afraid. I feel like I am locked up."

Maria and Rosa said they felt somewhat better after attorneys explained the proposed federal immigration laws.

There are competing versions of legislation in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. President Bush has sided with the Senate's comprehensive version, which would create a guest worker program that could lead to citizenship for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants living in the United States. The House version does not have a guest worker provision and would make it a felony for someone to be in the country without documentation.

"If comprehensive immigration reform passes, it will create a great opportunity for people to legalize their status," said Jamie Hernan, an attorney with the Roswell law firm Hernan Taylor & Lee. "If the legislation passes and is signed into law, there likely will be a short window of time for people to file, from three to six or nine months, and we're telling people what they should be doing now to prepare."

Federal comprehensive immigration law reform would mitigate the effects of Georgia's tougher new law on many undocumented migrants because it would put them on the path to citizenship, Hernan said.

Both the House proposal and the Senate bill would increase enforcement at the Mexican border. The Senate proposal, however, would allow migrants who have been in this country for more than five years to gain citizenship after working six additional years, learning English and paying a penalty and back taxes.

Undocumented migrants here from two to five years would have to return to a border entry point and apply for the guest worker program, and those here illegally for less than two years could face immediate deportation.

Immigrants eligible for guest worker status will need documentation such as birth, marriage or divorce certificates, passports or visas, pay stubs, children's school records, rent receipts and utility bills, Hernan explained.

Microphones were passed around the crowd outside Catolico Oasis during a question-and-answer session.

"People generally wanted to know about their specific situations," Hernan said. "The Senate (bill) provisions recognize people will have difficulty getting their work documents, especially day laborers, and we want them to know they need to get letters from their employers with dates of employment and other records that show incomes, wire transfer receipts - anything they can come up with to show how long they've been here and that they've been working."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They came here knowing that they were breaking our immigration laws and got a free ride for a while....if they feel like prisoners then they put themselves in that position.

They need to wait,before planning too far ahead,the congress is not going to pass this mess that the senate gave to them.
    When the congress fails to compromise with the senate,then these familes can all get back together in their own country!

MW
    "I am very afraid right now," said Maria, a 27-year-old with a 3-year-old son who said she feels like a prisoner in her own home.
    Freedom lies across the Rio Grande! If you need a ride, I'll contact ICE for you.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They came here knowing that they were breaking our immigration laws and got a free ride for a while....if they feel like prisoners then they put themselves in that position.
    Exactly. Wonder what brew-ha-ha they'd be screaming if it was their identies and numbers and everything else were being stolen? I feel like a prisoner in my own home, in my own country and I belong here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A little fear adds character, suck it up.

They aren't very afraid - you should see all of the illegals in Georgia. They are everywhere. Georgia gives them one of the best deals since California in regards to education, programs, etc. There is no crackdown. They have taken over entire towns. They make a lot of money here and the women don't work, they are out shopping.

Governor Sonny is running for re-election right now. This is all smoke and mirrors. If you are serious, why such a long target date?? How about 30 days?? Nothing will happen to these folks and the jails in Georgia are already overcrowded. Everyday there are major crimes committed by illegals and the gangs are in full force. I know 15 teachers that have quit the school system because of illegals.

Georgia is a take from the middle class state and taxes you to death. They raise taxes every year.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!

Quote Originally Posted by bootsalinda
    They aren't very afraid - you should see all of the illegals in Georgia. They are everywhere. Georgia gives them one of the best deals since California in regards to education, programs, etc. There is no crackdown. They have taken over entire towns. They make a lot of money here and the women don't work, they are out shopping.

Governor Sonny is running for re-election right now. This is all smoke and mirrors. If you are serious, why such a long target date?? How about 30 days?? Nothing will happen to these folks and the jails in Georgia are already overcrowded. Everyday there are major crimes committed by illegals and the gangs are in full force. I know 15 teachers that have quit the school system because of illegals.

Georgia is a take from the middle class state and taxes you to death. They raise taxes every year.
    Maryland taxes and taxes us to death too.

As for Illegals shopping and roamiing all over the place freely.
    It's the same for the state of Delaware. They are everywhere!!!!

Sunday, we went to the Walmart in Seaford for the first time in about 6 months. And my husband and I stood in the women's clothing dept purposely counted the amount of males we saw.

We counted 43 illegal males, and only 12 American males in the entire store!

That's not counting the pregnant illegal females, and their many, many children in tow.

It was overwhelming to see that many illegals walking around, at every turn.
    It is now to the point when I see an American in a store, I actually find myself smiling, and actually happy to see another American I can relate to.

I drive past peoples houses and see Americans mowing their own lawns, painting their houses, or putting on a roof, and I find myself giving them the thumbs up!

This law firm is the reason a no-brainer issue to most normal folk seems so complicated an issue. They all need some time to figure out the amount of money in this for them and their cronie limp wristed, no back bone, spineless jellyfish, altruistic wimp whore-slut, con artist big business friends.

Let's see...10 to 25 million potential legal cases. If we can capture their heart and "assist" 1% at a billable rate of $500.00 per case plus the $25.00 service fee were good to assist these fine folk. Let's go screw a few of em out of $525.00 and go have some dinner.

I have your back but, I think we are outnumbered.

Trouble