LOCAL POLICE CAN AND SHOULD ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAW

By Juan Mann · January 03, 2006 12:14 AM

Juan Mann’s legal reference library for state and local immigration law enforcement.
A VDARE.COM reader recently contacted me for help in persuading a city council member in California to use local police officers to break up an illegal alien day labor hang-out once and for all.

This city council member had reportedly already displayed “rare courage� on the subject of illegal immigration.

The VDARE.COM reader wrote:

“Your article dated 12/19/05 [Reclaiming America: What’s In That H.R. 4437 Christmas Present? And Will The Senate Grinches Steal It?] was very timely. I was telling [the councilman] about the House bill H.R. 4437 [PDF] being the answer to his reluctance to start doing something about illegals.
“Perhaps you can answer his question. I hope you will have a better answer or a way to circumvent the [expedited removal] rule….�

The VDARE.COM reader enclosed the councilman’s reaction:

“As long as anyone we or Border Patrol encounter is released because they have been in the country for more then two weeks or are caught further then 100 miles away from the border (they all claim this), there is absolutely no point in it.
“Right now our police question all contacts as to their legal status when they have cause to think the person may be here illegally. This is done in conjunction with a contact for another reason. If the person is not a citizen we inform ICE and then it is their jurisdiction.

“So we are already asking these questions when our officers feel it is appropriate.

“Having dedicated officers on our police force focusing on illegal immigration issues would cripple us and serves no point since the federal government is letting them go anyway.

“Am I missing something?�

My response: respectfullyâ€â€