Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Local Politicians Push For New Rights For Hmong Immigrants

Among the Hmong to my knowledge there isn't a big problem with illegal immigration. This effort has all come about because of the arrest of some Hmong leaders in Fresno for a plot against the Communist government of Laos. I'm posting this because I'm wondering if we can get access to these resolutions to be sure there would be no language regarding a path to citizenship for illegal aliens. What are your thoughts?

Local Politicians Push For New Rights For Hmong Immigrants

08/25/2007 - The valley's Hmong community rallies behind the politicians trying to erase barriers to citizenship that block the way, even to those who fought for the U.S.

Hmong leaders and Fresno politicians said it was appropriate to hold Saturday's conference outside in the heat because the group wants to turn the heat up on lawmakers. The Hmong say it's difficult for its community and other immigrants in the U.S. to find support on the path to legal citizenship especially when the group is up against the Patriot Act.

Becoming a legal resident in America is a dream for many in the Hmong community. Fresno's first Hmong city councilmember, Blong Xiong, is helping others fight for the rights he already has.

"Citizenship means a great deal to me. I'm an American citizen. It allows me a lot of opportunities flexibility's and things I want to do here in this country," says Xiong.

During the Vietnam war 40,000 Hmong in Laos were recruited and trained by the United States to fight communism. When the war ended, many Hmong were forced to leave the land they were fighting to save. Most of them became refugees, escaping to the United States.

"I think we are loyal Americans and we know how important it is to protect America and serve," says Xiong. But Xiong says wording in the Patriot Act and Real ID Act recognizes Hmong as level 3 terrorists, preventing them from becoming legal citizens.

"We think it's an unintended consequence. It's not meant to be directed at the community. But it does have that impact," says Xiong. And it's a label leaders in California's legislature think is unjust.

Two resolutions have been written and sent to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and the Department of Homeland Security. Assembly Member Juan Arambula says these resolutions address the persecution the Hmong community still faces in Laos and the difficulty of becoming legal residents here in America.

"They may not be able to participate as citizens like they have a right too and we want to make sure they have every opportunity to integrate into the American mainstream as quickly as possible," says Arambula.

170,000 Hmong call America home. 8,000 Hmong refugees remain in Thailand. There are no exact numbers of Hmong still in Laos.

Copyright KFSN-TV, www.abc30.com, and myabc30.com. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without explicit written permission.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=5603355

They never stated what their problem was.

This story is very confusing. I know many Hmong who are US Citizens. Maybe they are talking about felon Hmong gang members, which there are a lot of. Normally they would be deported, but there is no place to deport them to.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)