Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Luis family Sob Story

Luis family fears approval of Arizona's immigration law will break them apart

BY Edgar Sandoval
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, April 28th 2010, 10:00 PM
    Updated: Thursday, April 29th 2010, 9:15 AM

PHOENIX - Jose Luis truly believed that nothing could splinter his close-knit family - until the day Arizona's new immigration law was approved.

"When the bill passed, I ran to my room and cried," the 20-year-old Arizona State University sophomore said. "My mom came into my room and asked me, 'What's wrong?' I told her, 'They are going to break us apart.'"

The family is divided by their birthplaces: Jose Luis and his mother are from Mexico; his two siblings were born in Arizona.

The legislation, the toughest in the nation, gives cops the power to arrest anyone who can't prove he lives in the U.S. legally. The state's estimated 500,000 illegal immigrants include Jose Luis and his mom, who launched a new life in Arizona when she was 19 and her baby boy just 1.

"I never thought the law would get this far. Now I'm afraid to lose some of my children," said his mom, Maria, 39. The family spoke on the condition of withholding its last name. The law doesn't take effect until August, but it's already causing cracks in the clan. The U.S.-born kids say they have no intention of going to Mexico if their mom and brother are deported.

The family lives in a modest two-bedroom apartment in the Garfield section of Phoenix, an immigrant enclave. Once the law goes into effect, "We would be hiding like criminals," Maria said.

"All I ever wanted is to give my children a better future," said Maria, who abandoned her native Sinaloa for Phoenix. She found work as a janitor and love with a husband in Phoenix. He left after the birth of their second child.

"Mom has done so much for us," said Lambert, 18, a senior in high school and a U.S. citizen. "If she is deported with my brother, I don't even want to think about it."

Maria recently told her kids to to prepare for the worst. "If we get deported," she said, "you guys are coming with me back to Mexico."

Jose Luis would have no choice, but American-born Lambert and Karen plan to stay with relatives in Arizona. "Two of my children belong to the United States," Maria said somberly. "I want them to belong with me."

While cooking a recent dinner of caldo de pollo, a chicken stew, Maria asked Jose Luis about a mysterious car parked outside their home. "Call the cops," her son told her, his attention on his laptop.

"Are you crazy?" Maria replied, shaking her head in disbelief. "I don't want the police anywhere near this house."

esandoval@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z0mWEmIleO
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We would be hiding like criminals," Maria said.
    Because you ARE criminals.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Mom has done so much for us," said Lambert, 18
    What, no thanks to the American Taxpayers? Who here doubts for just one minute that this family has been on the public dole for Lambert's entire life?

go back to mexico, you criminal

So Ungrateful

STILL Ungrateful to us for the work your family took from us along with the free education. You are supposed to be migrant so will you please migrate back to your home. Our resources are depleted and we have no more work for you...

boo hoo. my heart bleeds cherry kool-ade! man up and get packin! your beloved homeland is waiting with open arms.

Give me a break! Most 18 year olds are ready to move out of the nest and do their own thing. There is no reason why the legal citizens can't get a passport and go vist Mom and brother in Mexico. There are also other ways to keep in touch such as emails, facebook, phone calls and letters. I'm sure that when mom and brother came to the US they left family members in Mexico and I bet they never cried about breaking up the family when that happened. In fact there will probably be a big family reunion and lots of tears when Mom and Luis go back home.

The family can unite when they return to their home country!

The family is divided by their birthplaces: Jose Luis and his mother are from Mexico; his two siblings were born in Arizona.
    Two illegal invaders and their two anchor babies! Get out!