Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Man surprised by the legal assaults against immigrants

Law repeal unsurprising to some

Friday, August 24, 2007

By ALONSO HEREDIA
    Courier-Post Staff
    RIVERSIDE

Julio Cesar Largo is surprised by the legal assaults against immigrants taking place throughout the country.

For this reason, he is not so surprised that a few recent local measures approved against immigrants have started to end.

This was Largo's analysis of what is happening in Hazleton, Pa., and Riverside.

Largo owns a money-wiring store specializing in Latin America. He is also an immigration expert through more than 20 years of involvement with immigrant organizations in Philadelphia and southern New Jersey.

Largo is president of Accion Colombiana.

"These laws promote xenophobic sentiment, so they did not think of the consequences," Largo said.

"People who acted this way did not understand that immigration laws are a federal matter," he added. "This is why a federal judge ruled that the Hazleton ordinance was unconstitutional."

Law proponents do not understand that illegal immigration cannot be treated the way other crimes are handled, Largo added.

"This problem is deeply embedded with the economics of this country, and we are making a serious mistake if we do not understand illegal immigration this way," Largo added. "Both legal and illegal immigrants greatly contribute to the economy of this country and we cannot make laws all over to attack some without hurting the others."

For Largo, the immigrant community unites people with a common interest of working the United States. The solution, he says, is a fair and coherent immigration law.

Largo said the immediate consequences of these ordinances are evident in Hazleton and Riverside.

"Since the persecution started, money wiring has fallen 30 percent and this is not only a problem for the workers who are sending this money to their countries of origin," Largo said. "Just ask authorities in Hazleton and Riverside."

He said he would also like to ask proponents of anti-immigrant laws if they would be willing to work in the fields, in factories or cleaning sewers, as immigrants do.

Manuel Guzman, director of the Glassboro-based nonprofit Comite de Apoyo a los Trabajadores Agricolas, ATA (Committee of Support for Agricultural Workers), said the trend to repeal anti-immigration laws has to do with a larger movement of support for immigrants.

"This group has fought against these laws and have shown with Hazleton, for example, that they are not constitutional," Guzman said.

Even though he feels encouraged, Guzman warned the problem is not over. Authorities in Bridgeton, Guzman said, are waiting for the court's decision about the Hazleton case.

"They were somewhat discouraged with the judge's decision but are still looking to place their anti-immigration position within a legal frame," he said.

Reach Alonso Heredia at (856) 486-2919 or aheredia@courierpostonline.com

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 006/NEWS01

I sincerly hope there are more legal surprises and NOT those giving away our country. Stop the insanity.

I just emailed this jerk and reminded him of the "persecution" American citizens are suffering as a result of the illegals. If he responds to me, I'll post it here.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

30%? Sounds like the anti-illegal-immigration activists are making a difference. Who says this struggle is in vain ...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"People who acted this way did not understand that immigration laws are a federal matter," he added. "This is why a federal judge ruled that the Hazleton ordinance was unconstitutional."
    Then, using that same logic, cities/counties/states that assume sanctuary policies are also in violation of the supremacy of Federal jurisdiction in the matter. Ultimately, states do often define and prosecute many crimes differently throughout the US.

Law proponents do not understand that illegal immigration cannot be treated the way other crimes are handled, Largo added.
    Why not?

"This problem is deeply embedded with the economics of this country, and we are making a serious mistake if we do not understand illegal immigration this way," Largo added. "Both legal and illegal immigrants greatly contribute to the economy of this country and we cannot make laws all over to attack some without hurting the others."
    In fact, they make such a great contribution to 'this country', that they send $50+ billion away annually to help subsidize the economies in often, corrupt, underdeveloped, and autocratic societies - most of whom, are south of the US. If there is a problem, it is one of big business conspiring with persons that have acquired entry into the US and worked illegally - eg. is not a problem that I, nor many other Americans had a hand in making. The people that chose to violate the law have to bear the burden of that decision - not me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When Mr. Herida states, "Since the persecution started, money wiring has fallen 30 percent and this is not only a problem for the workers who are sending this money to their countries of origin," Largo said. "Just ask authorities in Hazleton and Riverside," he attributes the decrease in money wiring to "the persecution." From what I've been reading, remittances are decreasing, in part, because many illegals who were formerly employed in construction, are now no longer employed due to the housing downturn. Unfortunately, many illegal aliens who were employed in residential construction are not returning to their native countries, but rather remaining in the U.S. and looking for other labor sectors that heavily employ illegals (i.e. food service). I think we all need to realize that the housing boom of the last five years contributed greatly to people entering this country illegally. Now, with the housing bust, these individuals remain here in great numbers waiting for amnesty and the next Congress to pander to their demands. The recent housing boom/bust cycle not only hurt the American economy but lured millions of illegal immigrants here for work in construction. We have to look at ourselves a bit and realize that our greed and love of all things cheap often leads to expensive and dire consequences.
    <div>"The making of an American begins at the point where he himself rejects all other ties, any other history, and himself adopts the vesture of his adopted land."**
    -James Baldwin, American Writer</div>

"These laws promote xenophobic sentiment, so they did not think of the consequences," Largo said.
    ... throwing out the red herring - the race card again.

... so now we have a jailhouse latino lawyer self-appointed immigration expert. They like the feds because the feds have done nothing but facilitate and protect illegal immigration. If the feds ever really got serious and started enforcing the laws...he's be crying for local involvement to stop the evil feds.

"Since the persecution started, money wiring has fallen 30 percent and this is not only a problem for the workers who are sending this money to their countries of origin," Largo said. "Just ask authorities in Hazleton and Riverside."
    ...Yep, here we go. I was wondering just how long it would take for their entitlement mindset to show up. I keep forgetting that the illegals are allowed to work here illegally and send their illegally gathered money back to their relatives in the homeland. Thanks for reminding me Hoo-lee-o

He said he would also like to ask proponents of anti-immigrant laws if they would be willing to work in the fields, in factories or cleaning sewers, as immigrants do.
    Damn, I just don't know how we survied as a nation until the late 1990's until the major mass of illegals have shown up. Since Hoo-lee-o is sure that Americans have never done that type of work, I guess he owes us an explanation as to how it DID get done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Population Clocks
    U.S. 302,688,429
    World 6,613,847,835
    19:49 GMT (EST+5) Aug 24, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    30%? Sounds like the anti-illegal-immigration activists are making a difference. Who says this struggle is in vain ...
    How much commission is he losing on the 30%?