Tough economy hits Marin day laborers
Jennifer Upshaw
Article Launched: 07/14/2008 07:38:26 PM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
Orlando Mendez, a salesman at Kelly-Moore Paints in the Canal area, said... (IJ photo/Frankie Frost)

* «
* »

For Daniel, a 35-year-old day laborer from Guatemala, every day begins the same. He stands in front of the Kelly-Moore paint store on Belvedere Street in San Rafael's Canal area seeking a drive-by employer.

Some days he finds work, some days he does not. Lately, it's been not.

"I'm three weeks without a job," the painter, who asked that his last name be withheld, said through an interpreter. "Every day, I'm here. I'm very sad about it."

When it comes to work, there is "nada - nothing now," said the father of four, whose wife and children in Guatemala used to receive up to $1,500 a month from him. Last month, he could only afford to send $200.

"I'm going to have to leave if there's no work," he said. "I'm going to have to go home."

As credit, housing, fuel cost and related woes ripple through the economy, business is slowing for many, especially day laborers who a year or two ago found work in the home construction, remodeling, painting and landscaping fields.

"There's a lot of people looking for jobs right now," said Douglas Mundo, executive director of the Canal Welcome Center.

Two weeks ago, the welcome center, with the help of several local churches, began offering free coffee, doughnuts and sandwiches to laborers, many of whom were going all day without a meal to stand outside waiting for work, he said. There have been plenty of takers, Mundo said.

He said in addition to the poor economy, potential employers are skittish thanks a federal crackdown