Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Martinez hits 'enforcement only'

Martinez hits 'enforcement only'

By Stephen Dinan and Ralph Z. Hallow
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    November 15, 2006

Sen. Mel Martinez, President Bush's choice to become chairman of the Republican National Committee, said his goal will be to undo the election damage done by the border-enforcement-first message of most Republicans -- which he called "harshness only."
    Mr. Martinez's nomination -- which must be approved by the RNC at its January meeting -- is Mr. Bush's first major political step since last week's elections, and it is already creating division among rank-and-file Republicans, who say it puts the party on the wrong side of the immigration issue.
    "I would say it's another Harriet Miers moment," said Randy Pullen, an RNC committee member from Arizona, referring to the doomed pick for the Supreme Court.
    Mr. Bush announced the nomination in the Oval Office, saying Mr. Martinez would keep his Florida Senate seat and serve as honorary chairman, or the public face of the party. Mr. Bush also nominated Mike Duncan, the RNC's general counsel, as chairman responsible for day-to-day operations, and asked Jo Ann Davidson to remain co-chairman.
    Chairman Ken Mehlman is not seeking to remain in office.
    Speaking to reporters after the Oval Office announcement, Mr. Martinez said he was "not going to do a post-mortem on the election here today." Moments later, though, he did a post-mortem on immigration, saying he saw a clear message on that issue.
    "I think we have to understand that the election did speak to one issue, and that was that -- it's not about bashing people, it's about presenting a hopeful face," said Mr. Martinez, who won his seat in 2004.
    He was one of the authors of the Senate compromise that would have allowed most illegal aliens to remain in the United States and pay small fines in return for a path to citizenship.
    "Border security only, enforcement only, harshness only is not the message that I believe America wants to convey," Mr. Martinez said.
    His proposal passed the Senate, though a majority of Republicans voted against it. The House, however, passed an enforcement-first strategy. Even the RNC voted unanimously in August to adopt a resolution calling for border and interior enforcement, and Mr. Pullen said Mr. Martinez as chairman would run contrary to that message.
    Some RNC members had pleaded for Mr. Bush to nominate Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, a prominent black Republican who in his losing Senate campaign this year argued against amnesty for illegal aliens.
    Rejecting Mr. Steele raised hackles among some RNC members, who traditionally rubber-stamp a sitting president's choice for chairman. Members wondered whether the choice of Mr. Martinez was a signal of Mr. Bush's desire to focus more on burnishing his presidential legacy, rather than on rebuilding a winning party for 2008.

"I don't know whether this is Harriet Miers and cronyism all over again, since I don't know that much about Martinez and his relationship with Bush and Rove," said Texas RNC member Bill Crocker, referring to the White House adviser.
    "But I wish they wouldn't try to control this thing, the way this White House micromanages everything. We'd be better off with an independent voice to support the president and work for the good of the party."
    Dr. Buddy Witherspoon, an RNC member from Columbia, S.C., said a black conservative such as Mr. Steele would have been an "excellent choice." But Dr. Witherspoon, who is white, worried just how much Mr. Steele, Mr. Martinez or anyone whom "Karl Rove chooses" will be able to speak for the future of the Republican Party.
    As Mr. Bush pushes the RNC in his direction on immigration, House Republicans move the other way, with Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, a contender for the House minority leader's post, saying yesterday that he will oppose Mr. Bush's bill.
    "What is coming at us now is going to be a massive amnesty bill that will likely be propounded not only by Democrats in the House and Senate, but frankly also by the White House," he said in an interview with radio host Laura Ingraham.
    • Charles Hurt contributed to this article.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20061 ... -8953r.htm

Banned
    Yep. Time to man the phones and get out the letters and emails to let the RNC know that Martinez is not the person Republicans want leading the party. This is an important one. We shut down Harriet Miers and we can shut this one down.

I'm with you CG.

"Border security only, enforcement only, harshness only is not the message that I believe America wants to convey," Mr. Martinez said.
    That's exactly the message we want conveyed and it is NOT harsh. Don't you listen to the people and your own party, you moron. 80% of the people want enforcement and border security first. Throw the bum out.

Sen. Mel Martinez, President Bush's choice to become chairman of the Republican National Committee, said his goal will be to undo the election damage done by the border-enforcement-first message of most Republicans -- which he called "harshness only."
    Does this guy pay attention to anything? Does this self-centered little twerp believe that tripe? There wouldn't be any "election damage" to undo if the enforcement bill had passed and now you are going to pile on some more election damage........sheesh........Bush can pick-em.......worst choice than the Meirs debaucle! I actually get the "creeps" when I hear this guy speak. It's painful to listen to him.

Does this man not ever wonder why all these cities and towns are passing illegal ordinances.....ENFORCEMENT.........Does he not realize that these towns reflect what the American people want? I feel like puking!

As one of the lucky people who is represented by this traitor I can assure you has heard from the people of Florida loud and clear. But that does not matter. His motto is open the borders and let one and all come in. I cannot even tell you how many letters and phone calls I have made to him and I have never recieved one response.

Bottom line is he does not give a hoot what the people want.

LEVIN is now going after Martinez.

wabcradio.com
    stream available

** sounds like a leader of one of these crazy left wing groups
    doesn't talk about LAW AND ORDER
    he uses ALL THE PROPAGANDA of the left.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Get on the phones to the state party chairs,too and especially. I've called the Washington and Idaho party chairs. They were both unaware of the comments of Martinez and I directed them to the Washington Times article and said many state party chairs were already speaking out against Martinez. The state chairs will listen much more readily than the RNC.

The state chair numbers can be found at www.gop.com/STATES/

From the TN GOP website:

As the only immigrant in the United States Senate, Senator Martinez brought a unique perspective to the debate on how to best deal with the growing issue of undocumented workers in our country. Martinez established himself as a voice of reason—calling for a respectful tone during the debate and ensuring that any solution considered be comprehensive.

My little note to the Colorado Republican Party.

If Mel Martinez becomes the head of the Republican National Committee, I will change my party affiliation. His is an advocate for amnesty for illegals.

The bill 2611 included better deals for illegals than American citizens, and his claim that candidates lost because of their harshness on border enforcement appears to be the beginning of the next LaRaza movement.

I don't want anything to do with a party that diminishes the sovereignty of my country. Had the Senate Republicans passed the border enforcement bill and voted against 2611 some of them might still be in office.

The American people are sick of Iraq and Mexico and the 30 million Mexicans that have invaded this country. The voters did Remember in November.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

sis:
    LEVIN is now going after Martinez.
    I was out driving around and heard some of that. Wasn't it great??? And he was so right.

The Reps lost because of the war, Mr. Martinez. I'm sick of hearing the Reps lost because of their stance re illegal immigration. This is a bunch of garbage. People were voting against Bush and the war.

And why did Arizona pass those propositions re illegal immigration??? Huh Mr. Martinez and Jorge???

Why are towns still across this country passing ordinances re illegal immigration???? Because they're sick of the feds being cowardly and not dealing with it.

I've already called my registrar of voters to change my party affiliation to Independent when I heard of Martinez's appt. I have decided I will first write letters and call, do what I can to stop this but if he becomes the head of the party forget it, I'm out. I've been a Rep for years but I don't recognize it anymore and they don't care what people like myself think, that's obvious.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast