Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain: Border security before path to citizenship

McCain: Border security before path to citizenship
    By Mary Anne Ostrom
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 07/14/2008 06:13:31 PM PDT

SAN DIEGO- John McCain on Monday asked Latinos to trust him on the thorny issue of how to treat the nation's illegal immigrants, a day after Barack Obama accused the Arizona senator of backing away from his a key position for fear of alienating GOP conservatives.
    Far behind in polls that show Obama leading 2 to 1 among Latino voters, a feisty McCain spoke to the National Council of La Raza a day after the Illinois senator, and said he intends to make comprehensive immigration reform a top priority if elected.

But disappointing some at the Latino civil rights gathering, he said he stuck to his position that he only would consider a path to citizenship for illegal residents after he can prove to Americans that the border is secure. Otherwise, he argued, reform measures will never be enacted. He cited fears of national security and that a porous border leads to drug smuggling and other crimes.

"I do ask for your trust that when I say I remain committed to fair, practical and comprehensive immigration reform, I mean it. I mean it. With all due modesty, I think I have earned that trust."

As evidence, he said he would have "never risked the alienation of parts of my own party" if he wasn't serious about finding a solution. He also vocally condemned those who are using the immigration debate to "denigrate the contributions of Hispanics" - including those among Republican ranks.

"We cannot forget the humanity God commands of us as we seek a remedy to this problem," he said, prompting applause from the audience of 2,000.

Illegal immigration has become a flashpoint between McCain and Obama as they vie for the votes of an estimated 10 million Latinos expected to cast ballots in November. Upping the stakes, many of those voters live in key swing states.

McCain has acknowledged his retreat from his own 2006 legislation, co-authored with Democrat Sen. Ted Kennedy, that included a provision to allow illegal immigrants to apply for citizenship after taking certain steps. It never garnered sufficient bipartisan support to pass.

During the competitive GOP primary he began saying that a safe border is paramount before citizenship initiative can be pursued.

"We do need to have our border secure, which we can do in fairly rapid fashion," McCain said, responding to an audience member seeking a commitment regarding the fate of the estimated 12 million illegal residents in the U.S. Only then, he said, could he "guarantee" that the American public would be ready to embrace a comprehensive solution.

Despite sparring with several questioners over his position on illegal immigrants, he ignored a moderator's attempt to end the session. McCain pointedly reminded the audience that Obama had refused his invitation to debate the issues "on the same stage" and bristled at Obama's Sunday accusation that McCain dropped granting illegal residents a mechanism to gain citizenship for political expediency.

Still, McCain's position could hurt him among some Latinos. 'I'm a Democrat but I was considering voting for McCain," said Nick Aguilar, a Vietnam veteran from San Diego. "But not after he changed his mind about immigration."

McCain said Monday that Obama is the one who "declined to cast some of those tough votes" and noted that Obama had sponsored labor-backed amendments around guest-worker issues "intended to kill the legislation." He also suggested that he has a better understanding of Latin America than Obama, adding "I hope Senator Obama soon visits some of the other countries of the Americas for the first time."

Manuel Ramirez, a Latino Republican activist from Irvine, said many Latinos agree with McCain's position on immigration.

"When we have open borders, like right now, it's a huge drain on our schools and health care," Ramirez said. He said McCain has proved himself as "the best person to handle the issue."

And Jorge Dominguez, a Chula Vista educator, while impressed with Obama's articulate speech, gave McCain slightly higher marks. "He's gutsy, coming here to speak to a crowd of mostly Democrats and taking on their tough questions." Obama, he noted, just spoke and left.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_ ... ck_check=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Another lazy reporter who hasn't done her homework. Don't be fooled by Amnesty John McCain's phony pitch about "border security." He will not truly secure the border, and has even admitted "comprehensive reform" (i.e. amnesty for tens of millions of illegal aliens) would be his top priority in his first 100 days.

Obviously, he wouldn't be able to permanently secure the border in such a short period time (much less to meaningfully enforce the laws and cut off non-emergency benefits to IAs). He just wants a political fig leaf to claim the border is secured, so he could try an amnesty attempt ASAP.

In other words, John McCain has not changed his position at all from last summer and prior years.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Should J. McCain get elected, I fear he would merely declare the border secure and then grant amnesty. I would rather fight Obama's efforts to grant amnesty, than McCain's.

"We do need to have our border secure, which we can do in fairly rapid fashion," McCain said, responding to an audience member seeking a commitment regarding the fate of the estimated 12 million illegal residents in the U.S. Only then, he said, could he "guarantee" that the American public would be ready to embrace a comprehensive solution.
    Well then, what's been holding it up for 20 years?!?!

This is what AMERICANS DEMAND:

Secure the borders - to be OK'd by Border Patrol - NOT pandering governors like Richardson (HA! No agenda there, right?)

NO AMNESTY - NOT EVER AGAIN! Been there, done that and FAILED over and over again. NO MAS!

DEPORT ALL illegal aliens -SI, SE PUEDE!!!!

WE are the sleeping giant -200+ million strong.

Why are these idiots pandering to such a small percentage of voters?
    "

MW
    magyart wrote:

I would rather fight Obama's efforts to grant amnesty, than McCain's.
    Look, I don't support McCain either, however, I absolutely destest the thought of Obama becoming the next President of the United States. Combine Obama with a Democrat controlled U.S. Congress and you've got a recipe for disaster.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

nope nope nope

border secirity first.
    stop the benefits and eoforce the law including ICE raids and
    more deportations

I want to see and read about ICE RAIDS EVERY DAMN DAY