Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Is McCain fit to be President?

McCain fit to be President?

February 02, 2008 01:00 PM EST

Craig Chamberlain

More and more it seems that Senator McCain is going to be the GOP nominee, and I have to admit that the only thing preventing me from casting a third party ballot in November is the prospect of Hillary being President, and as bad as McCain is the idea of the return of the Clintons is far worse.

So, with super Tuesday coming up fast the conservatives in this party need to fight back against McCain. Some wonder why the animus? After all isn't McCain pretty conservative? Sure he is. Far more conservative than Hillary. But that doesn't mean he's the right man for the job. McCain seems to hate conservatives simply because he can. He can get away with it, the conservatives will have no choice but to back( or so he believes) and it will make him popular with the media. I don't think any conservative should trust a republican who's that popular with the New York Times. And McCain should ask himself how much will the media love him when he's actually the nominee and not just waging a jihad against his own party?

Yes, it's true that McCain has some admirable qualities. No one can even think of questioning his patriotism or his service to the country, or his willingness to continue the war against the Islamic terrorists. He's strong on pork, and would probably fight wasteful government spending(something that many members of the GOP have forgotten) he's reliably pro life, (it's unlikely that NOW or NARAL would rally around the Senator.) Still there are lots of reasons for the conservatives to feel blue.

We always talk about the Reagan revolution, and while Reagan was not the purist conservative we think him to be, he did move the party in a conservative direction and accomplished many conservative goals. Can we say the same thing about McCain? It's higly unlikely that economic or social conservatives will get a spot at the table if McCain becomes President. Would McCain appoint judges like justices Alito, Scalia, or Chief Justice Roberts? Or would we have to suffer through someone more like justice Souter or justice Stephens?

Then there is something that should be on the mind of every voter even if it isn't polite to talk about it. Age. McCain is 72 years old, and while I'm fairly certain a US Senator has access to better health care than your average citizen, he's not immortal, and the Presidency has a tendency to rapidly age the men who hold the job. It's not out of the question that he doesn't make it through his first term(let's be clear, as much as I and other conservatives disagree with the Senator no one is wishing death upon him). There's also the tactic that the Democrats bring out every four years, the claim that no Republican is intelligent enough to be President. Romney went to Harvard, made millions as a venture capitalist, turned around the 2002 Olympics, and turned around the state or Massachusetts when he was governor.

McCains accomplishments? Well he served his country bravely, and was calling for a surge in troops long before anyone else. To the bad, he's supported amnesty ebdlessly since being elected. So that gives us McCain/ Kennedy. He believes in running out special interests, even if it means gagging ordinary Americans and crossing out the first amendment. That gives us McCain/ Feingold. Neither of those are what you would call conservative positions, and not something a Republican should be looking for in a nominee.

Many are claiming that McCain is the most electable, and that may be true. But should the Republican party destroy itself to win? McCain will pull the Republican party to the left. Instead of being the party of Reagan, it will go back to being the party of Nixon and Ford, and see how well that worked out for us. Conservatives have been pretty good for the GOP, when we run as conservatives we win. It's when we try to out liberal the Democrats that we find ourselves in the political minority. McCain will move the party to the left, and that's why the media loves him so much.

And it's why conservatives should stay away from him and back Romney.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/art ... l?id=30540
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote(McCain fit to be President? )quote

Nope, no way, I will never vote for him, huge mistake for this country.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

McShame isn't fit to be dog-catcher!!!!