Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain supports Graf for House seat

McCain supports Graf for House seat

05:12 PM MST on Sunday, October 8, 2006

By Daniel Scarpinato, Arizona Daily Star

Republican congressional candidate Randy Graf has won the endorsement of political superstar John McCain — a significant step, the campaign says, toward unifying moderates and conservatives.

"Randy Graf's record as a state representative has demonstrated his commitment to the values important to the people of Arizona," McCain said in a written statement provided to the Arizona Daily Star.

"His voting record on issues such as supporting our military, reducing taxes and reining in election and welfare fraud bodes well for his future in the U.S. Congress," McCain wrote. "I urge the voters of the 8th district to support him on November 7th. It would be a pleasure to work with him in Washington."

Graf, who is running against Democrat Gabrielle Giffords, had failed to win the endorsement of Republican Jim Kolbe, the congressman who is retiring from the seat after 22 years.

Graf described McCain's support as a turning point in the campaign for Congressional District 8 and "a great honor."

"John McCain has served this nation with amazing courage and great dignity," Graf said in the statement. "He is a shining example of public service."

"The tide is clearly turning our way," he said.

The campaign hopes the endorsement by McCain, who is popular among some Democrats and independents, is the boost Graf needs to keep the high-profile race competitive.

The two agree on a number of issues — both oppose abortion rights, oppose same-sex marriage, advocate small government, support the war in Iraq and have been openly critical of President Bush at times. The Graf campaign described McCain's "unwavering support of U.S. military troops" as one of the election's key issues.

But they have a clear ideological difference on illegal immigration. Graf disagrees with McCain's position that illegal immigrants should be allowed a path to citizenship.

Despite that, McCain — largely seen as positioning himself for a 2008 presidential bid — made the decision to publicly throw his support behind Graf last week, said spokesman Paul Hickman, adding that they disagree on "the approach to the immigration problem."

"He likes Randy," Hickman said. "He agrees with him on most issues that Republicans hold dear."

For Graf, the race has been a roller coaster since he won the party nomination in September. National Republicans seemed enthusiastic, then pulled out television-ad buys. And Kolbe congratulated Graf on his win, but refused to endorse.

In an interview by phone from Washington Saturday, Kolbe said he didn't think the McCain endorsement was very significant but said "it's certainly got to help" Graf in appealing to moderates.

"I'm certainly not surprised," he said. "Supporting the party ticket is pretty normal."

Graf campaign manager R.T. Gregg downplayed the significance of McCain and Graf's differences on immigration, saying that all politicians have varying differences on issues.

"I'd rather focus on what they agree on," Gregg said. "There are Republicans that we need to attract to our campaign, and I think that John McCain has a pretty good reputation with those Republicans we need to attract."

Republicans have long worried that some voters might either sit the election out or cross party lines due to low approval ratings for President Bush and Congress.

The fallout from the resignation of Florida Rep. Mark Foley following revelations of Internet sexual messages to teenage boys has renewed those worries.

McCain's endorsement has proven influential before. In the Republican primary race for Arizona governor, party activist Don Goldwater led in the polling but on Election Day Phoenix lobbyist Len Munsil won by a comfortable margin, credited, in part, to a late endorsement from McCain.

In polling, Giffords leads Graf by anywhere from 8 to nearly 20 points. Republicans are the dominant party in District 8.

Graf has also been endorsed by Arizona's other senator, Republican Jon Kyl.

● Contact reporter Daniel Scarpinato at 807-7789 or dscarpinato@azstarnet.com.

http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/ ... 6216.html#

Did Graf just get the kiss of death and then reach down and cut his own wrist?
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

McCain is back pretending to be a loyal Republican party man again.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey? If it gets Randy Graf elected, so be it!

D.W.
    D.W.

"John McCain has served this nation with amazing courage and great dignity," Graf said in the statement. "He is a shining example of public service."
    This is a load of heiferdust!!!
    He's the MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and never, ever was a 'shining example' of anything except a traitor. He should have been tried as one years ago but certainly when he and kerry threw our POW's to the wolves along with clinton.

Come on McCain...........PROVE ME WRONG
    I know your goons are reading this site.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah Sis. That quote is where I thought Graf cut his wrist.

The RNC pulled Graf's funds now they've got McCain endorsing. Could be the end of Graf with illegal immigration an important issue.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    Yeah Sis. That quote is where I thought Graf cut his wrist.

The RNC pulled Graf's funds now they've got McCain endorsing. Could be the end of Graf with illegal immigration an important issue.
    A deal has been struck and it was struck in 2003
    I've not connected all the dots yet but something happened yesterday to clear up the picture. We already know that Bush agreed to endorse McCain if McCain PULLED OUT of the last pres race AND endorsed bush!
    Now the real dirty dealing has begun.......how to set up maccain for the win. And here it is....................

This whole thing w/Foley is a huge set up BUT it's not just the Lib's.

Mark my words..........this puts MCCAIN in the driver's seat for 08!!!

Remember always that mccain has big holdings/connections with AZ / St. Louis Energy. He wants the water rights as well, as that's a part of "Energy." This Energy co put mccain in office and kept him there!
    They want NAU..........AMNESTY.........NOW. The traitor sold his country out in VN and has never stopped.

PROVE ME WRONG....MCCAIN
    I've been waiting years and years for you to run. We, Americans, your Brothers in Arms and their families, POWs and their families have been waiting for you. Come ahead, traitor, please, come ahead. Let's get this over with after all these years. Let's show the world who and what you really are under that mask. You're pure evil.

BTW, I truly believe that Hastert, the simpleton, is just a water boy for bush. I also believe that he did what he was told to do pertaining to that sick idiot Foley.

I believe that Hastert was used & hung out to dry because he's no backbone and just a yes guy. I also believe that Hastert wasn't told the entire truth about Foley for this very purpose. Now Hastert's taking the fire when the entire Congress should be on the line.

and so.............mccain is in the driver's seat.

This foley crap stinks like month old fish out in the hot Texas sun. A perfect set up from start to finish.