Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

McCain Trumpets Independence From Bush, Except for Fundraisi

McCain Trumpets Independence From Bush, Except for Fundraising

By Hans Nichols and Edwin Chen

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- John McCain's challenge in winning the presidency isn't unique. George H.W. Bush in 1988 and Al Gore in 2000 also struggled to chisel an identity separate from a two- term incumbent president of their party.

There's one big difference: in 1988, Ronald Reagan had a 51 percent approval rating, according to Gallup surveys, and in 2000 Bill Clinton's was 57 percent. Today, President George W. Bush's rating is 28 percent and the leading House Republican political analyst, Virginia Representative Tom Davis, said the president is ``absolutely radioactive'' for party candidates, including McCain, the presumptive presidential nominee.

So why is the Arizona senator going to appear with Bush in Phoenix tonight for a closed-door fundraiser? McCain, whose fundraising totals are dwarfed by those of Democratic candidate Barack Obama, needs Bush to bring in money and signal to conservative Republicans that he can be trusted.

``Any sitting president, even one whose approval rating is in the low 30s, can raise money,'' said Jim Pinkerton, a Republican strategist. ``McCain has to distance himself from Bush, but he also has to reassure the Republican base -- and that means snuggling up.''

`Pay Penance'

McCain, who has long been viewed with suspicion by his party's conservative base, ``needs to pay penance'' for setting himself apart from Bush, said Pinkerton, who worked on the first President Bush's strategy to distinguish his record from Reagan's.

The fundraiser marks the first time Bush, 61, has campaigned for McCain, 71, with whom he has a thorny relationship. The two last appeared together March 5, when Bush endorsed McCain at the White House.

Since then, McCain has accelerated his push to underscore differences with Bush on policies ranging from foreign affairs to climate change. In a speech in New Orleans on April 24, McCain assailed the administration's ``terrible and disgraceful'' response to Hurricane Katrina.

McCain used a climate-change speech this month to highlight another breach with Bush, saying that he would negotiate with China and India, and that the U.S. had ``an obligation to act.'' On foreign affairs, McCain has carved out a more confrontational position than Bush on Russia, China and North Korea.

Bush Legacy

On most other issues, though, McCain says he will carry on Bush's legacy, vowing to extend the president's tax cuts, keep troops in Iraq and offer private accounts as a component of Social Security overhaul.

Those policy similarities are fodder for the Democrats, who will make them a centerpiece of the November campaign. Obama, 46, an Illinois senator, already tells voters that America ``cannot afford a third Bush term.''

Many Republicans understand the danger of that charge and are helping McCain pull away from Bush. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, who lost the party nomination to McCain, now attests to his former rival's anti-Bush credentials.

``John McCain has been a frequent and vocal critic of George Bush,'' Romney said on Bloomberg Television's ``Political Capital with Al Hunt'' on May 23.

Bush loyalists said such efforts are natural after an eight- year administration.

``McCain will continue to distance himself from the president on issues he disagrees with him on,'' said Sara Taylor, who was Bush's political director from 2005 to 2007. ``That shouldn't surprise anybody.''

`Final Pivot'

McCain has until the Republican nominating convention in September to establish an identity separate from Bush. Then, he must execute ``his final pivot from the Bush presidency,'' said Scott Reed, who managed the 1996 campaign of Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole.

At the White House Correspondents Dinner in April, Bush indicated he understands the strategy, lightheartedly observing that McCain wants ``to distance himself from me a little bit.''

McCain's and Bush's differences weren't always a laughing matter. Their 2000 contest for the Republican nomination ended in acrimony and mistrust. However, both men know are trying to submerge.

``The mutual dislike between McCain and President Bush has been tabled, for Bush's legacy desperately needs the GOP to win the White House,'' Reed said.

Strategists said the administration should follow a basic rule if it wants to bequeath the Oval Office to its party's nominee: Don't blindside the campaign.

`No Surprises'

``The most important thing is no surprises,'' said Ron Kaufman, a political director in President George H.W. Bush's administration.

Clean lines of communication will help the White House and the McCain campaign smooth over any public breaches. Two of McCain's top five advisers -- Charlie Black, and Steve Schmidt -- worked on Bush's 2004 re-election. Nicolle Wallace, the communications director in that campaign, signed up with McCain last month.

``We coordinate with the McCain campaign all the time,'' said White House Press Secretary Dana Perino.

For any candidate trying to extend his party's grip on the White House, there's a ``fine line'' to walk, said Leon Panetta, one of Clinton's chiefs of staff.

Gore ``tried to separate himself from the White House and didn't really make that much use of Clinton,'' Panetta said. Had Gore used Clinton in a ``more strategic way, that could have made the difference.''

Of course, Clinton had twice as high approval ratings as Bush has today.

To contact the reporter on this story: Hans Nichols in Washington at hnichols2@bloomberg.net; or Edwin Chen in Fountain Hills, Arizona, at echen32@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: May 27, 2008 00:01 EDT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well i did my thing just a few minutes ago . And i wish McAmnesty would read this . A nice lady from the gop called asking for the pledge i made a couple of months ago . I explained that i must Welch of it . She said "Why?" i said "McAmnesty" but i did reassure her the Dem's are no better.
    Do ya think it may be really hard for him to raise money ? Oh Yeah
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

we get mcshame in the white house it, will only be another bushie.
    lets see how many lives he can distory by letting ILLEGALS in this COUNTRY, MY COUNTRY.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN