Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

MD-College Park rape survivor speaks of ordeal, recovery

College Park rape survivor speaks of ordeal, recovery

A young woman who was raped and beaten after she went out with friends in College Park said that the experience will not define her life or stop her from succeeding.

After the attack, "I proved to myself I can succeed. I graduated with a great GPA and got a job," said the woman, 22 now, who spoke to a group of TV, radio, and print reporters on the condition that she not be identified by name and that her face not be photographed. The woman now works for a public relations firm.

The woman was a 21-year-old student at the University of Maryland when she was attacked.

She had been out drinking with friends at Cornerstone, a College Park bar on Route 1, and left about 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 21, 2009.

The woman accepted a ride from a man, later identified as Derik E. Villeda-Morales, 24, of Laurel.

The woman told reporters she thought Villeda-Morales was a taxi driver, even though his vehicle did not have taxi markings. "He said 'Yes, I'm a cab driver,' " she said.

The woman settled into the front passenger seat and gave Villeda-Morales the address of the home she shared with other students. But he drove by it.

She said she called friends and police, but Villeda-Morales began hitting her with his closed fist.
    "I felt like he had complete and utter control over me," the woman said. As Villeda-Morales hit her, she lapsed in and out of consciousness.

Villeda-Morales drove to Route 50 in Cheverly, where he forced the victim to peform oral sex and raped her, according to court records. The victim suffered a swollen right eye and a bloody nose. The attacker drove the woman into Davidsonville, where she managed to get out of the vehicle. An off-duty police officer spotted her and helped her, the woman said.

Asked whether her drinking had affected her judgment that night, the woman said, "You should feel safe in whatever situation you are in, you should feel safe. Obviously, that's not the truth." The woman noted that she was able to accurately describe the attack and her assailant to police.

Her description paid off. About two weeks after the attack, Villeda-Morales was stopped for a traffic violation. The woman picked his picture out of a photo array.

Last week, Villeda-Morales pleaded guilty to second-degree rape and second-degree assault, and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. After he serves his prison term, federal immigration authorities will seek to deport Villeda-Morales who is in the country illegally, Prince George's prosecutors said. Villeda-Morales is originally from Guatemala.

The rape survivor praised the work of police and prosecutors. "To know he's in prison and will be deported afterward is a huge relief," she said.

Ruben Castaneda

February 25, 2010; 5:20 PM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime- ... r-spe.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Again as I comment before our FAMILIES are at the mercy of ILLEGALS and their Anchors being murdered, raped, infected with disease, or robbed. We can see the results of the ILLEGAL invasion in our courts every day! But NOT to worry the Chamber of Commerce will get their cheap labor increasing their privatized PROFITS while socializing the benefits for their ILLEGALS on the back of U. S. Citizens, thanks to our past and current Presidents, the Congressional Leadership(?), and local elected and appointed officials!

WASHINGTON - A man who posed as a cab driver and raped and assaulted a local college student has been sentenced to prison.

Now, the victim is speaking out about her ordeal.

Twenty-four-year-old Derik Villeda-Morales of Laurel was sentenced this week to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree rape and second-degree assault.

Last year, Villeda-Morales posed as a cabdriver and picked up a 21-year-old University of Maryland senior outside a College Park bar.

Instead of taking her home, he drove her around, punched her repeatedly, and raped her.

The now-22-year-old - who asked not to be identified - spoke with reporters Thursday about her ordeal.

"Ultimately, I thought that he was going to kill me, following the rape -- the fact that he kept driving," she says.

She finally escaped by jumping out of the moving car.

Eventually, an off-duty Prince George's County Police officer saw her waving for help along a road. She had a bloody nose, her right eye was swollen shut and was covered in bruises and road rash.

After the crime, she returned to her home in New Jersey to recuperate.

Just two weeks later, she returned to school.

"I was like, 'You know what? Those two weeks are done. I have my life back, I survived, and I'm going to...graduate and go on to do what I want to do,'" she says.

She graduated as planned, got a job and is now living on her own.

When she thinks back to her ordeal, she says, "if anything, I think it's only made me stronger."

As part of his plea agreement, Villeda-Morales has to register as a violent sex offender and stay away from the University of Maryland and businesses near the campus.

However, he is expected to be deported after serving his sentence.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1897786
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)