Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD - (Illegal) Immigrant killed walking home from work

Immigrant killed walking home from work
    Co-workers at Golden Corral raise money for his family in Mexico
    By ALLISON BOURG, Staff Writer
    Published 05/19/10

German Valesco-Fantaizo worked quietly at the Golden Corral near Arundel Mills for two years, earning money to send to his wife and three young children in Mexico.

Though the Hanover man spoke little English, his friends at the restaurant said they knew how much he was looking forward to returning home some day.

"He wanted to start a farm," said Jocelyn Harrison, a server at the restaurant. "He wanted to go home last year."

But Valesco-Fantaizo, 43, never got the chance.

He died May 7 when he was struck by a car on Ridge Road while walking home. No charges have been filed against the driver James Myers, 39, of Fort George G. Meade.

Harrison said she often gave rides to Valesco-Fantaizo, who didn't drive. She was shocked when she heard the news from her co-workers.

"I thought they were joking," she said.

Restaurant manager Tom Taylor said he didn't know how long Valesco-Fantaizo has been in the United States, or how old his children were.

"He was a very quiet guy. He just came in and worked and worked," Taylor said. "He'd so anything you'd ask him to do. Everybody liked him."

After his death, Golden Corral's 75 employees banded together and donated $2,000 to send to Valesco-Fantaizo's family in Mexico. They also took donations from customers.

Taylor said it was the first time restaurant workers had done anything like that for an employee's family.

"We never had to before," he said.

Restaurant management wired the money to his wife over the weekend, Taylor said. She doesn't speak English, but a Golden Corral worker who is fluent in Spanish spoke to her on the phone and told her where she could retrieve the money.

"He came here for the opportunity," Taylor said.

Valesco-Fantaizo's death devastated those who had worked alongside him for the past few years. Taylor said the restaurant had planned a party for the end of the month for workers, but canceled it because "it didn't feel like the thing to do."

"I think the world of German, actually," said Toni Robinson, Golden Corral's kitchen manager. "Anything I would ever ask him to do, he would do. If I need him to stay later, he would always stay."

The day after the accident "was a very bad Saturday," she said.

Robinson said she and Valesco-Fantaizo had few in-depth conversations because of the language barrier. Still, she always took time to listen to him, and vice versa.

"We played a lot of charades to figure out what we wanted," she said.

Taylor said Pat Brooks, Golden Corral's associate manager, spoke with the Mexican consulate and arranged to have Valesco-Fantaizo's body shipped home. His brother, who lived in another state, also traveled to Maryland to get his affairs in order.

"We knew he needed to go back to his family," Robinson said.

Employees still don't know how the accident happened, though Harrison pointed out that Valesco-Fantaizo was walking in an area with no sidewalks after dark. Taylor said he's also heard that he had been drinking, though he's not sure.

Crew leader Cesia Diaz got choked up as she recalled her last interaction with Valesco-Fantaizo. She had loaned him $5, and he paid her back the day before he was killed.

"I'm very sad for him," Diaz said. "He would always say, I'm going home. I miss my kids."

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/f ... e=1#cfirst
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

HERE IS THE CONTACT INFORMATION LINK IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK GOLDEN CORRAL WHY THEY CHOOSE TO HIRE ILLEGAL ALIENS INSTEAD OF AMERICAN CITIZENS:

http://www.goldencorral.com/contact/
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

HERE IS THE POSTAL ADDRESS IF YOU WISH TO REPORT THIS COMPANY TO ICE OR IF YOU WISH TO LET MANAGER TOM TAYLOR WE DO NOT APPRECIATE THE FACT THIS FRANCHISE HIRES ILLEGAL ALIENS:

GOLDEN CORRAL
    TOM TAYLOR
    7047 ARUNDEL MILLS BLVD.
    HANOVER, MD 21076

His family is in Mexico? But, but . . . I thought we separated families by sending illegals home. I'm sorry for his family in Mexico. It's hard to lose a loved on. But he chose to break the law.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)