Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Mexican envoy makes 1st Indy trip

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... -1/ZONES01

August 18, 2006

Q&A ON IMMIGRATION
    Mexican envoy makes 1st Indy trip
    By Will Higgins
    will.higgins@indystar.com
    August 18, 2006

There are 34,000 Mexicans living in Indianapolis, according to the latest U.S. Census estimate. And, according to a survey released last month by the Indianapolis-based Sagamore Institute for Policy Research, the annual trade between Indiana and Mexico is $5.4 million.
    But no Mexican ambassador had ever set foot in Indianapolis until Thursday, when Carlos de Icaza, 58, arrived for a one-night stay. Indianapolis is one of several cities he has visited this month.
    The stop here was a social call; Mayor Bart Peterson gave him the key to the city. It was a public relations mission, too. With immigration reform the hot topic in Washington, the ambassador gave several media interviews from, where else, the Ambassador's Suite of a local hotel, the Westin.

Question: What would you like to see happen on immigration reform?

A: Two things: First, comprehensive immigration reform. That means balance in the different components. One is obviously border security. We respect the right of the American people to enforce its laws and secure its borders. But you have to combine law enforcement with a guest worker program.

A guest worker program would take pressure out of the border, and we could concentrate in our cooperation and target . . . smugglers, traffickers, bad people, terrorists. . . .
    Also, (we need) a path to solve the situation of the millions of hard-working people who are already here.

Q: By granting them citizenship?

A: That's not for me to say. But something that would solve their situation, a path to legalize their situation.

Q: If Mexico's economy were stronger, the people there wouldn't be so motivated to come here.

A: Of course.

Q: How would you characterize Americans' view of Mexicans? Do you see racism, xenophobia?

A: It would depend on which part of the country. It would depend on the needs of the economy. This is an economic issue.

Q: But you said it was an emotional issue, too. Do you think part of what's fueling immigration reform is that you look different than us?

A: In many communities in this country, I don't think there's enough information. There are lots of people who don't see the benefits, who cannot afford an Hispanic nanny, or that don't see that their landscaping or roofing business depends so much on foreign workers. So you have different views.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just once I would love to see an interviewer change his plan at the last minute, and really put him in the spot light.

If if were me, the interview would go something like this:

Q: Can you explain to Americans and legal citizens why illegals should be rewarded for breaking the law?

Q: There are many facts from many different states on how illegal immigration is affecting all areas such as the labor rates, soaring health care costs, property depreciation, etc. How can you or the Mexican people debate these facts as contradictory?

Q: Can you also justify millions of illegal aliens breaking the US laws?

Q: How will the US economy suffer if a mass deportation occurs?

Q: What grounds can you give the American people that the US government should consult Mexico on any border issues?

Q: Why can't the Mexican government make changes for its people?

Q: Why do illegal aliens think they have civil rights?
    Q: Why do illegal aliens think America is racist, xenophobic, etc. simply because Americans want their laws enforced?

My concluding statement:

Mr. Ambassador, I think Mexico and its citizens should abide by our laws no questions asked.
    Your coming here to further press this comphrensive immigration reform, or otherwise known as amnesty, is not only un-American, its insulting to the law abiding people of the United States. The American people want their country safe and don't feel we owe anything to the Mexican people. If anything, the Mexican owe the American people more than they could repay in a lifetime. My interview is done sir, and I find your presence repugnant.

Of course, I wouldn't have been allowed to finish it. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE THOUGH!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.