Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican national pleads in shop owner's slaying

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/ind ... xml&coll=5

Mexican national pleads in shop owner's slaying
    FLINT
    THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007
    By Paul Janczewski
    pjanczewski@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6333
    A jury could never see this videotape.

Edgar A. DeLeon-Puentes knew the graphic footage of him hammering an elderly Hispanic businesswoman to death in 2005 would be too convincing in its cruelty and overwhelming in its content.

So DeLeon-Puentes, 22, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and armed robbery in the March 24, 2005, bludgeoning of Helen Gonzales.

"You can't put up much of a defense when the entire crime is videotaped," said DeLeon-Puentes' attorney, Dennis Snyder. "He did not want the jury to see this."

Gonzales, 74, was found unconscious in her east Flint store, Helen's Records and Gifts, 2714 N. Franklin Ave. She died six days later.

DeLeon-Puentes, a Mexican national who had lived in Flint for about seven months working seasonal construction, was originally charged with first-degree premeditated murder, felony murder and armed robbery.

He faced life in prison without parole if convicted of either murder charge.

Snyder said he believes he has worked out a sentence agreement with Genesee Circuit Judge Joseph J. Farah that would see DeLeon-Puentes given 40-60 years in prison when he returns to court March 30.

"If he behaves in prison, he should get out someday to return to his family in Mexico," Snyder said.

DeLeon-Puentes faces immediate deportation by federal officials when - and if - he is eventually paroled.

Assistant Genesee County Prosecutor Tamara J. Phillips said the Gonzales family was expecting the plea. The victim's husband and children were not in court for the plea.

DeLeon-Puentes told Farah through a pair of interpreters that he was at a house earlier with friends and injected heroin before wandering to the store about 7 p.m.

"I saw a hammer in a flower pot. ... I asked (Gonzales) for a (compact disc) ... she leaned over ... and I hit her," he said.

"I lost control," he said.

After striking Gonzales on her head with a round-house swing of the hammer, the silent video shows DeLeon-Puentes casually stepping over her to steal items, such as boots and belts.

The video rolls as he again steps over her to leave, and continues to record for the next hour, showing her arms and legs moving as she tries to get up.

About an hour after the attack, three neighborhood children discovered her at the store.

DeLeon-Puentes was arrested the next day in a Flint Township residence.

A series of events caused the case to linger for the past two years.

The first attorney assigned to DeLeon-Puentes had to withdraw because of medical reasons.

Since DeLeon-Puentes does not speak or fully understand English, the language barrier required an interpreter at all times Snyder or others met with him, which added to the delays.

And he was determined incompetent for trial initially by state examiners, based on language problems. Prosecutors appealed that ruling and won when an independent forensic examination deemed DeLeon-Puentes competent for trial and later criminally responsible for his actions.

©2007 Flint Journal
    © 2007 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And he was determined incompetent for trial initially by state examiners, based on language problems.
    You've got to be kidding me!! I guess we know why they don't want to learn, or pretend not to know, English!