Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican Prez Decries Anti-Immigrant Tone

Feb 11, 10:18 PM (ET)

By STEVE LEBLANC

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Monday decried anti-immigrant perceptions in the United States and argued that Mexican immigrants complement American workers.

On his first trip to the U.S. as Mexico's president, Calderon said he is working to combat anti-Americanism in Mexico and to improve job prospects there to reduce migration. He said he hopes that Americans resist anti-Mexican sentiments.

"The worst thing that happened in this country is this anti-Mexican or anti-immigrant perception of people. We need to contain this," Calderon said after a speech at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.

"I need to change in Mexico the perception that the Americans are the enemy, and it is important to change the perception that the Mexicans are the enemy," he said. "We are neighbors, we are friends and we must be allies."

(AP) Mexican President Felipe Calderon addresses a gathering at the John F. Kennedy School of Government...
    Full Image

The combination of American wealth and Mexican labor is an irresistible economic force, Calderon said.

"You have two economies. One economy is intensive in capital, which is the American economy. One economy is intensive in labor, which is the Mexican economy," he said. "We are two complementary economies, and that phenomenon is impossible to stop."

Calderon's trip has been billed as a high-stakes effort to shape the immigration debate during the U.S. presidential race, though Calderon is not meeting with any of the candidates or with President Bush during the trip. He said he will not endorse a candidate but will work with whomever is elected.

Immigration remains a key issue in nominating contests, particularly among Republicans, amid calls for toughened border security and a border fence.

"The American economy is suffering, but if you take the point of view that the solution for this situation, a lack of competitiveness of the American economy, is closing the border, you are making a very big mistake," Calderon said.

During his speech, Calderon said that he had worked hard to combat drug gangs in Mexico but that the effort would be long, costly and difficult. He also pointed a finger at the U.S., saying the drug trade in Mexico is contingent on the demand for illegal drugs north of the border.

"Drugs are not just our problem. We are the neighbor of the largest consumer in the world," he said.

Earlier Monday, Calderon and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon discussed climate change, counter-narcotics efforts and U.N. anti-poverty goals during a private meeting in New York. Calderon also will visit Chicago, Los Angeles and Sacramento, Calif.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080212/D8UOH1CG2.html

You have two economies. One economy is intensive in capital, which is the American economy. One economy is intensive in labor, which is the Mexican economy," he said. "We are two complementary economies, and that phenomenon is impossible to stop."

Save it for somebody who will buy your line of crap Calderon.

The American economy is intensive in capital and labor....something your economy has never been because it's always been much easier for you all to sit on your asses and do nothing for your own people.

What you didn't have, you just decided to steal.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This Mexican President is a piece of work . A Mexican speaking Progressive Lib who is a Racist himself . In that he says and i quote " Mexicans do jobs Blacks will not even do ". This invader has the nerve to come in our country and stir-up hate . Do i hear Bush ?????? No i don't
    BTW: where was the champions of racial justice jackson & sharpton ? Isn't this their type of issue or does Imus only get the "Treatment ?"
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

We're anti-Mexican?

We're anti-Mexican? This is news to me. Why does Calderon feel that is the case? Has anyone heard that follow-up question asked?

As it stands, most immigration in the US comes from (or at least through) Mexico even though there are 4.3 billion people worldwide worse off than the average Mexican. Is that anti-Mexican? I think not. If anything, Mexico has received preferential treatment that extends beyond it's geographic proximity to us.

How about our immigration laws? Are they anti-Mexican? If so, I certainly can't find any evidence to support that claim. Can anyone else? In comparison, Mexico's immigration laws are much stricter than ours. Does that make them anti-immigrant?

My point is that I'd like to hear on what metrics (if any) Calderon is basing his conclusion. All of the metrics I can find from severity of immigration law and the citizenship requirements to hold public office to the mere likelihood of being harrassed for flying a foreign flag would insinuate that they are much less tolerant of us than we are of them.

Does anyone know on what evidence these claims of anti-Mexicanism are being based by him?

Welcome to Alipac "Squire" glad to have you join us!!
    Does anyone know on what evidence these claims of anti-Mexicanism are being based by him?
    "Squire" these people are delusional sometimes. I'm sure he meant anti-illegal Mexicanism"

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Monday decried anti-immigrant perceptions in the United States and argued that Mexican immigrants complement American workers.
    Is anyone here "anti-immigrant"(not me) I'm sure he is just confused and meant "Anti-illegal immigrant" (that would be me)

They just can't seem to get the illegal part of this right...must be a mental Block!!

...............EMERGENCY ALERT" 2/12.................
    Please help take Action!!! NOW
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-103479.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Welcome to Alipac "Squire" glad to have you join us!!
    "Squire" these people are delusional sometimes. I'm sure he meant anti-illegal Mexicanism"

[quote:cl1jatul]
    [/quote:cl1jatul]

Is anyone here "anti-immigrant"(not me) I'm sure he is just confused and meant "Anti-illegal immigrant" (that would be me)

They just can't seem to get the illegal part of this right...must be a mental Block!!

I know....let's us schedule a tour in Mexico to publicly decry the Anti Anti Illegal Immigrationalism being perpetrated against us by them.

Who knows, maybe the ACLU will even represent us in a lawsuit because I, for one, am highly offended by all of this nonsense.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I decry the pro-illegal Mexican sentinments, protests, policies by the likes of LA RAZA, MALDEF, LULAC, the Hermandad MExicana (the MExican Brotherhood), CHIRLA, MEXICA, and all of the U.S. based MEXICAN Consulates. It's time to revoke their diplomatic visas. YA ES HORA...Si se puede.

All I can say on this is that I used to travel to mexico quite extensively on vacation and spent a good deal of money in which i'm certain the local economies appreciated.

However, if mexico now has the perception that the Americans are the enemy as calderon now claims, then I can assure you I have taken my last vacation to mexico.

Many states in mexico depend on US tourism dollars for their survival, or atleast they did before there were 30 million illegal invaders living in the US sending back record remittance.

Thanks calderon for setting the record straight.

Where did he get they idea that Americans want to close the border?
    I would happy simply stopping illegal border crossing and drug traffic.
    Get this mess cleaned up so I can go back down to Mexico and enjoy a meal without worrying. I use to go down all the time but not anymore.
    Mexico is losing out on hundereds of dollars a year just from me not going.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    The worst thing that happened in this country is this anti-Mexican or anti-immigrant perception of people. We need to contain this," Calderon said after a speech at Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government.
    Listen Calderon, if there was legtimate anti-Mexican sentiment in this country you would see a whole heck of a lot more anger and discrimination: like against Latinos who steal public statues and copper wire for recycle metal cash; like slaughterhouse cruelty and filth in butchering; like hundreds and thousands of Mexican American crimes published every single day in the nations's newspapers; like fraud by businesses owned by Latinos (i.e. automobile repair, tax fraud 101, domestic labor fraud); falsifying and stealing documents; like their unstoppable drug trafficking on the streets; like the exhorbitant costs of their incarceration, etc, etc.

But to be fair and welcoming to the legal Mexican immigrant community we basically object to the initial part where millions have illegally violated our laws of entry. They did it intentionally.

You cannot cover up for them here because you yourself do not live here. You are not here legally. You are visitor. Please go home to Mexico and improve your own country and bring it out of its third world status. Maybe then your countrymen will proudly go back to their homeland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast