Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexicans Stay in U.S. for Holidays

Mexicans Stay in U.S. for Holidays

Vida en el Valle, News Report, Matin E. MartĂ*nez, Posted: Dec 18, 2008

Editor's Note: No statistics are kept on Mexicans who travel back to Mexico for the Christmas holidays, but they are in the millions, reports Vida En El Valle. The national media has reported fewer Mexicans are traveling this year due to the faltering economy, increased violence in Mexico, or tightened border security that makes it more difficult for undocumented travelers to make it back. Vida en el Valle spoke to area Latinos who normally would spend the upcoming days in Mexico to share the posadas and other traditional celebrations with family.

SACRAMENTO -- For the past 15 years, the Valencia family has lived in California, and every year they visit their relatives in MĂ©xico at Christmastime. This year, however, will be the first time the Valencias do not go south, due to the bad economy.

Like thousands of Latino families throughout the country, the Valencias find themselves in harsh economic times. Ernesto Valencia, father of the family, lost his job in housing construction more than a year ago.

"Work suddenly started to dry up until the time came when the boss told us he couldn't keep us on because construction had simply stopped," explained Valencia, 43, who worked for eight years as a contractor.

The situation was the same for Valencia's wife, Sara NĂșñez, who worked cleaning houses and offices. "Nobody wants to hire you anymore because everyone wants to save a little money, too. Now I just clean my own home."

Under the circumstances, the family decided to stay in Sacramento for the holidays, a choice that saddened the entire family; they were very much looking forward to seeing their relatives in Los Reyes, MichoacĂĄn.

"Since we came to California, we've never not gone. I was really eager to see my parents and my brothers and sisters, but unfortunately I may have to wait until next year, if the economic situation improves for us," NĂșñez said.

Valencia said it was an annual tradition to prepare for the trip to Mexico, buying clothing and gifts for the whole family there. But this year they can't even afford to send gifts to Mexico by mail.

"We're getting by on what I earn from little jobs here and there. Sometimes I worked in gardening, sometimes doing small construction jobs and sometimes nothing," said Valencia, father of three school-age children.

He added that when he had steady work in construction he earned a salary of up to $4,000 a month, and now he has to make do on less than half that amount.

In the Sacramento area, the unemployment rate is around 9.5 percent, the highest in 10 years. Construction is one of the hardest-hit industries.

Besides the lack of money, another reason why the Valencia family decided not to go to their hometown is the wave of violence impacting MĂ©xico, especially in the state of MichoacĂĄn.

"The truth is that it scares us a little to go to MĂ©xico because the violence and crime are really rough right now. After seeing what happened on Sept. 16 in Morelia, well, it scares us to go, especially because we live in California and people there assume that because you live here you have money," commented NĂșñez.

NĂșñez was referring to an incident that took place during a public Mexican Independence Day celebration in Morelia, when several people lobbed grenades into a crowd, killing three and injuring dozens.

"How can you get enthusiastic about going when something like that can happen, when they kill even chiefs of police, what can a civilian expect?" NĂșñez said.
    http://tinyurl.com/4beatr

Related Articles:

Exodus of Immigrants Is a Myth

La OpiniĂłn, Posted: Dec 18, 2008

MEXICO CITY -- The notion that Mexicans in the United States are returning back home is a myth, a Mexican official told La OpiniĂłn reporter Gardenia Mendoza. The foreign ministry confirms that neither the economic crisis nor the immigration raids in the United States have affected Mexicans' plans to live there, although these trends may affect the plans of those considering going north.
    http://tinyurl.com/3norzx

Exodus of Migrants?
    http://tinyurl.com/4hqglb

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    If these two are not working.. you can be assured they are getting HUD housing and welfare at a minimum on your dime..... are ya hungry yet.. if not, you will be and try to get hud housing or welfare

you want corrupt officials in the state and federal government to allow Illegal Immigration and a trip to a green card... then I guess I'll see ya in the bread line America... you will deserve every single bit of starvation that is coming your way...

you might make it, you may not... maybe your grand children can fight off starvation... then again..... maybe not

all I know is I'll take care of my own..... dont expect help from me... you were the idiot that didnt protect your family... you can watch me eat my food for all I care.. I am tired of sticking up for others that do not stand up for the American citizens
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

Bush and Obama can give us a great Christmas present!

I think we legal citizens should encourage the current President and Obama to support the illegals in reuniting with their familes....especially over the holidays.....

Perhaps Santa Bush and Elf-Elect Obama can give the illegals a stimulus Christmas gift and supply them all with bus tickets back to their country of origin ...and then seal the borders for good!

Yes, that would be a very Merry Christmas!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Elf-Elect