Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Is 2 Blame 4 Illegal Immigration 2 US (opinion)

http://www.americandaily.com/article/7331

Mexico Is To Blame For Illegal Immigration To The U. S.
    By Robert Klein Engler (04/01/05)

The uproar over President Bush's proposal to reform Social Security has died down. Taking the place of this uproar is a growing clamor over illegal immigration. You can't help but wonder if the former was a smoke screen to obscure a debate over the latter.

Because illegal immigration to the U. S. is a problem requiring controversial solutions, few politicians want to embrace this issue. Part of the solution involves securing our borders and deporting at least 2 or 3 million of the estimated 11.3 million in the U. S. illegally. What politician wants that, when they are relying on vested interests and always running for reelection?

Recently, I questioned why anyone should write more about the problems associated with illegal immigration. Most of our elected officials seem to be beyond persuasion and prefer to do nothing to stop the invasion of our country. Then I realized that if we cannot change their minds at least we can document their failures. Let the next generation decide who were the fools.

How many times do we read or hear that hardworking Mexicans are coming illegally to the U. S. to improve their lives? These Mexicans take low paying jobs because these low paying jobs are better than poverty in Mexico. Yet, why is it that most journalists do not ask the more important question about this migration: Why are there no jobs in Mexico for its citizens in the first place?

The lack of jobs in Mexico is not a problem you can lay at the feet of U. S. citizens. The U. S. is not responsible for Mexico and its poverty. Lack of jobs in Mexico is a Mexican problem that the Mexican government refuses to solve. Furthermore, U. S. elected officials and business men and women should not put the interest of Mexican nationals above the interest of U. S. citizens. It bears repeating that U. S. citizens ought to put patriotism before profits, too.

There are many reasons why Mexico does not have enough jobs for its citizens. Some of these reasons like the historical and cultural differences between the U. S. and Mexico should not be overlooked when we consider why the tide of illegal immigration ought to be held back. When Mexicans come illegally into the U. S. they not only bring their poverty, but a complex of cultural and historical baggage as well.

Instead of questioning why there are no jobs in Mexico, most illegal immigrants just take the easy way out and cross the border. Illegal immigrants from Mexico only have personal ambitions, not national allegiances. If illegal immigrants cared half as much about their own country, as they do about their pocketbooks, then they would stay in Mexico and work for social change there.

Change is needed in Mexican society to increase jobs, but for years nothing has been done to create those jobs. Years ago politicians in both countries knew the numbers of illegal Mexicans in the U. S. would dramatically increase because there were fewer and fewer jobs in Mexico for their growing population. Few politicians did anything, however, to stem this increase or create jobs. Now, the Pew Hispanic Center confirms what we all know. The center claims in a recent report that "Mexicans by far remain the largest group of undocumented migrants at 5.9 million (in the U. S.)."

A year ago it was proposed that if the U. S. government did not do something about illegal immigration, then citizens along the border would take things into their own hands. Now, we see that after April 1st, more than 1,000 volunteer civilian Minutemen, some of them legally armed, will be patrolling the border between Arizona and Mexico. President Bush may refer to the Minutemen as "vigilantes," but face the fact: People will take affairs into their own hands when the government refuses to protect them.

If you had a neighbor that was wasting his money on drink and cards and then sent his many children to your yard to play, and eventually eat and sleep, what would you do? Many would be considerate for a while, but when the children keep coming, you would ask your neighbor to clean up his life and take care of his own children. Failing that, you would resort to more drastic measures. Can we not see Mexico as that irresponsible neighbor, and ask that they get their national house in order? Mexico must stop sending us their problem children, or we ought to build a better fence.

Instead of building a better fence and deporting illegal immigrants, politicians in both the U. S. and Mexico will make those who complain into the problem. Now, the problem will be that we have vigilantes on the border, instead of illegal immigrants. Instead of saying "The borders are wide open, and we have to close them," we will hear official statement after statement about how we must "Let the Border Patrol do their job. Not vigilantes!" Political smoke screens never dissipate, they just move from one bureaucracy to another.

With their heads in the sands of Iraq, few in the Department of Homeland Security can see over the horizon to our wide-open borders and uncontrolled immigration from Mexico. That is a shame, because governments collapse when they worry more about a possible threat from afar than a real crisis at home. Social security is not just getting a check every month from the government, it is also feeling safe at work from an invading army of foreign, low paid workers.

Robert Klein Engler lives in Chicago. He is an adjunct professor at Roosevelt University.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

People have been migrating to the US for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    People have been migrating to the US for centuries.
    Yes, they have - but legally as in Ellis Island and the people coming through Ellis Island were screened and not all were allowed in. These people went on to ASSIMILATE into society.

From your statement, I might assume you are for immigration .. legal or illegal.

I don't want to assume wrong .. so please enlighten me as your statement can be interpreted many ways.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by watchman
    .......your statement can be interpreted many ways.
    The statement was a fact. Another fact is that people have been migrating into what is now known as North America for thousands of years mostly for the purpose of seeking a better life most of whom come from places other than Mexico. Yet suddenly this is all caused by Mexico.

.......your statement can be interpreted many ways.
    The statement was a fact. Another fact is that people have been migrating into what is now known as North America for thousands of years mostly for the purpose of seeking a better life most of whom come from places other than Mexico. Yet suddenly this is all caused by Mexico.
    Are you aware of the numbers associated with the tsunami-like INVASION from Mexico?

Are you aware of the numbers associated with the tsunami-like INVASION from Mexico?
    FYI: A tsunami strikes and then recedes. It's over after a short time. The invasion from Mexico ain't gonna end unless something is done about it.

I must say I'm really disappointed in this forum. I thought there'd be more intelligent discussion.

FYI: A tsunami strikes and then recedes. It's over after a short time. The invasion from Mexico ain't gonna end unless something is done about it.

I must say I'm really disappointed in this forum. I thought there'd be more intelligent discussion.
    I'm sorry you don't categorize our discussion intelligent. What meets your standards?

I'd say your comment borders on a personal attack and your last comment had a tinge of sarcasm. Some of us might meet your intellectual muster, some may not ... but we all are in agreement on the main issue.

I do not think it is all caused by Mexico. But they aren't helping much.
    Yes, people have been migrating into what is now known as North America but that does not mean that they have the right to cross another countrys borders. Why does Mexico have troops at its southern border?
    Our responsibility is to our own citizens first.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Johnny:

Please read our rules and be careful not to insult other users.

Thanks,

William

PS: It may have been raining for millions of years, but I wouldn't want my nation washed away in a flood either. <--- Aint that smart?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FYI: A tsunami strikes and then recedes. It's over after a short time. The invasion from Mexico ain't gonna end unless something is done about it
    Johnny,

FYI: tsunami

n : a huge destructive wave

Frank Gaffney writes in article posted at http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-1456.html

"Hundreds of "Minuteman" volunteers are fanning out this week across the Arizona-Mexico border. They hope, by so doing, to help the authorities reduce somewhat the human tsunami of illegal aliens crossing into America."

Tsunami ... a huge destructive wave .. very descriptive of the huge influx of Mexicans flooding ILLEGALLY across the southern border DAILY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast