Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico and NAFTA, Ecology Problems and Future Andean FTA

Mexico and NAFTA, Ecology Problems and Future Andean FTA

I am looking for Feedback on Mexico and what has happened with NAFTA there.

Has NAFTA been a paradise or a hell for Mexico ??? ....

Up to now I was very enthusiastic about NAFTA but I have read some reports, for example a comparison of Mexico and Vietnam by a distinguished Harvard Unieversity Economist. Here it is :

Why Vietnam performs better than Mexico
    Economic success begins at home
    Business Day - South Africa
    By Dani Rodrik
    Rodrik is professor of political economy at Harvard University’s John F Kennedy School of Government.
    Posted to the web on: 10 August 2005

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/t ... =BD4A78105

There might be some deforestation and destruction of Native Species in Mexico. You can read this :

How green is NAFTA? Measuring the impacts of agricultural trade
    Environment, March, 2004 by Scott Vaughan

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... 26285/pg_2

Initiating my studies on Mexico and NAFTA, Ecology Problems and the Future Andean FTA

I just created a section in my Forum FASHYON.com :

http://fashyon.com

This section is called

Title :
    Mexico Under NAFTA : Environment, Illegal Immigration. Andean FTA ?

Subtitle :
    NAFTA for Mexico : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Illegal Immigration. Will the Andean FTA be an Ecological Destruction ?? More Migrations if Agricultural Catastrophe ???

I am referrring to Destruction of Forest and Species in the Andeans. An Environment that is several times richer than Mexico or the USA in Biodiversity and the number of species per square mile.

You are going to dislike some of my posts because I am quoting the National Association of Manufacturers, the CATO Institute and other Republican Institutions that you may dislike and that "enjoy" immigration and NAFTA.

I am beginning to change my mind and some of my past posts may be naive or somewhat foolish, but I should leave them intact as a "remembrance of the past".

I would be very happy if you publish some of your ideas, or big articles in that section. I authorize you to contradict me in every sentence that I have posted.

The Environment is Extremely Important in this discussion because the future Andean FTA involves countries that are richer than Mexico in Biodiversity, Rain Forests, Tropical Forests, Amazon Basin, the lungs of oxygen, etc ...

If American Cereals with subsidies of US $100 per ton cause the ruin of many peasants in the Andeans, then deforstation and destruction of native species will get a boost. Including the loss of native cereal species and Archaic DNAs of plants like Maize and other Foods like fruits, herbs, etc ...

Vicente Duque

A close friend of my family is the manager of a rum distillery in the United States. They have said that sugarcane is the cheapest source of ethanol. Grain has to be converted to sugar first. As a result of subsidies for corn based ethanol and high fructose corn syrup corn is artificially cheaper. I can well believe this has an effect on other countries.

The displacement of communities of small holders producing corn in the Mexican market (white) by American (yellow) has not been direct. The big industrial corn producers in Mexico have switched from yellow to white corn. There is a high cost of transport between the remote rural areas and central markets of Mexico. Had the border not been open the displacement of communities of Mexican small holder white corn producers by Mexican industrial producers would have resulted in decentralized meat production. The rural communities of small holder corn producers would have used their corn to produce meat.

The quantity of meat above local consumption would then have been sold into the central market as their cash crop instead of corn.
    The conversion results in value added products with higher prices per pound and a lower percentage would go to transportation cost.
    Likewise feeding sprouted grain results in more efficient use of water than growing grasses to maturity as pasture. The production of meat and the production of sprouts are both more labor intensive than growing corn and the production of grass.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Richard : That was a Great Post

Richard : That was a Great Post

I immediately saved it in a *.txt file in order to investigate it and use it in the future in my Existing Forum Website.

I am a dreamer : "To dream does not cost" :

I am thinking of having a NEW FORUM on the Ecology of Latin America and the Ecological Devastation caused by Free Trade Agreements.

That includes Mexico and what has happened there under NAFTA. Next to keep a watch on Central America and CAFTA.

And to do projections on the AFTA or Andean Free Trade Agreement. For the Environment, Agricultural Eviction and impoverishment. Future Beggars and Emigrants.

But I need some friends to help me with posts in such complex subjects.

I have a Forum :

http://FASHYON.com

I moved the section on Mexico and the problems of NAFTA, Ecology and Illegal Aliens to the third Category ( under the photos of my Fashyon Girls -- I am a Photographer )

I would be extremely thankful if people post there on the problems of Mexico, Ecological Devastation, Changes in Agriculture under NAFTA, CAFTA and the impact on Ecology.

Mexico and Central American poverty and the pressure to emigrate to the USA ( legal or illegal ).

Perhaps we can start a specilized Forum on Ecology and the Environment.

For the moment I am working alone in such a subject but I could take some companions and we can link and promote their businesses, activities, promotions etc to repay the favor of posting in an area that could become our future Ecological Environmental Forum.

I have already reserved the domain names for such and endeavour.

Thanks a lot, again

Vicente Duque