Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico, Venezuela, say relations not broken following Chavez

http://www.signonsandiego.com

Mexico, Venezuela, say relations not broken following Chavez's criticism of Fox

By E. Eduardo Castillo
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

1:33 p.m. November 10, 2005

MEXICO CITY – Mexico's relations with Venezuela are not in danger despite Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's remarks that his Mexican counterpart acted like a "puppy" of the United States at a recent Americas summit, representatives from both governments said Thursday.

"There has been no break, no situation that could put this relationship in danger," Venezuelan Ambassador to Mexico Vladimir Villegas told reporters after meeting privately with Mexican diplomats to discuss the matter.

Earlier Thursday, Mexico's presidential spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, also indicated that there would be no severing of relations over the incident, but he said Mexico would issue a final statement later in the day.

The Mexican government had announced Wednesday night that it was calling in Villegas to explain Chavez's remarks, which came Wednesday just hours after Mexico declared a similar rift with Argentina resolved.

Chavez accused Mexican President Vicente Fox of kowtowing to the United States with his adamant support of free trade at an Americas summit last week in Argentina.

His comments came apparently in response to post-summit remarks from Fox, aimed at Chavez, that there are "some presidents, fortunately a minority, who blame other countries for all their problems." Chavez led a massive anti-free trade, anti-U.S. rally during the summit.

In his remarks Wednesday, Chavez said, "It makes me sad that a heroic nation like Mexico has a president that kneels before the empire and then comes out knocking those who defend the dignity of our communities. How sad that the president of a great country like Mexico allowed himself to be the puppy of the (U.S.) empire."

But both sides downplayed the situation on Thursday, first during Aguilar's daily morning press briefing and later in Villega's brief encounter with reporters.

"We had a very good meeting and the whole tone of the meeting indicates that this is an episode that is now over," Villega said. "Both parties are very willing to resolve this issue, the little that there is to resolve."

In Venezuela on Thursday, however, member of Chavez's government continued to defend his comments.

"President Chavez simply responded to an aggression of which he was the victim," Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel said.

Fox "shouldn't have expected anything different," added Foreign Minister Ali Rodriguez.

The dispute with Chavez arose just as Argentina and Mexico had declared resolved a similar rift caused by an exchange of harsh words between Fox and Argentine President Nestor Kirchner.

At the Americas summit, Fox emerged as a staunch supporter of the U.S.-proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas, which aims to create the world's largest free trade zone stretching from Alaska to Argentina.

At the same time, the Mexican president accused Kirchner of neglecting his responsibility as summit host to seek consensus on restarting the trade talks because he was too concerned about his domestic public image. Kirchner responded by telling Fox to mind his own business.

Diplomats from Mexico and Argentina issued a statement Wednesday saying that relations were still intact and that "mature democracies" could have disagreements without their friendships falling apart.

Mexican political analysts said both incidents could have been avoided if Fox had used more diplomacy.

"He provoked them and then came the very harsh declarations from the Argentines and Venezuelans," said Jose Antonio Crespo, of the Center for Economic Research and Teaching in Mexico City. "When someone throws the first punch, they feel obligated to reply."
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Re: Mexico, Venezuela, say relations not broken following Ch

"There has been no break, no situation that could put this relationship in danger," Venezuelan Ambassador to Mexico Vladimir Villegas told reporters after meeting privately with Mexican diplomats to discuss the matter.
    Chavez calls Fox a "puppy" and all the diplomats meet to discuss the "incident"!!

My God--what would they do if they read our posts??????

Apopletic Shock!

I mean think about a bunch of high-flying Mexican diplomats sitting around a table discussing the word "puppy" trying to assess whether or not they should be upset, issue a press release condemning the remark, cut off trade, resign from the OAS, declare war on Venezuela? I mean what was there to discuss?? Did they want to disclaim being a Bush "puppy"? Well, apparently not.

I would love to see that statement to be issued later in the day. What might it say? Something like?

"We have met and discussed the incident and have determined that our President Vicente Fox is not a Bush Puppy?" OR:

"We have met and discussed the incident and have determined that our President Vicente Fox is a Bush Puppy". OR:

"We have met and discussed the puppy incident and have determined that the incident warrants no further puppy discussion."

I vote for the third one.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"We have met and discussed the puppy incident and have determined that the incident warrants no further puppy discussion."
    I just loved this one. I guess I am with you Judy. I vote for the 3rd one also.

But after thinking about it. Maybe Bush is Fox's Puppy
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Scuba ! That was funny.

I don't think we should live our lives so dangerously as to call El Presidente a "Dog". He might decide to grab that Patriot Act of his and add something to about calling the president a "dog" and even make it retroactive.

"Puppy" is probably okay.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We should know within a few days. If we're still here, than "puppy" is okay !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    We should know within a few days. If we're still here, than "puppy" is okay !!
    Or maybe they will hold a highly classified Puppy meeting. LOL
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    Scuba ! That was funny.

I don't think we should live our lives so dangerously as to call El Presidente a "Dog". He might decide to grab that Patriot Act of his and add something to about calling the president a "dog" and even make it retroactive.

Funny you should say that

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

RESTRICTIONS What kind of restrictions ?!

I've just put a note on our front door which reads:

" NO LEGALUSCITIZEN LIVES HERE. ILLEGAL ALIENS ONLY "

I think they'll be able to believe that.

Great Satire, LegalUSCitizen!!

I could only add that he should hang on to that puppy because when it's full grown, it'll be the only friend that man has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast