USA TODAY - Letters

Mexico's Arizona-style law highlights hypocrisy

USA TODAY's article about a law in Mexico that mirrors Arizona's controversial illegal immigration law was eye-opening ("Activists blast Mexico's immigration law," News, May 26).

Mexico's law allows police to inspect immigration papers of suspected illegal immigrants. It proves to me the hypocrisy of both the Mexican government and our liberal politicians. I cannot even speak positively about the Republicans in the House and the Senate who sat and listened to Mexican President Felipe Calderon criticize our country last month. Every one of them should have stood and walked directly out the door.

Los Angeles is boycotting Arizona over the immigration law. However, Los Angeles and the whole state of California are financial messes that could be made better by not having to spend inordinate amounts of tax dollars for health care and welfare for those people in this country illegally.

I work with many Mexican Americans who agree with what I have said. They are citizens or hold Green Cards. We need labor, but we don't need illegal immigrants to do it.

People need to read and think before they criticize what Arizona has done.

William H. Bonnett III; Riverside, Calif.
---------------------------------------

Help illegal immigrants

I am concerned about the innocent young children who were brought to the by parents who came here illegally.

I do not condone breaking the law, but children should not have to pay for the "sins" of their parents. Our youth — of all nationalities — are the future of America, and they need to be educated.

If children of illegal immigrants have stayed in school, avoided crime and gangs, and want to pursue a college or vocational education, then we should provide a way for them to get that education and become productive tax-paying citizens of the USA.

We need to close the borders but at the same time have a workable plan that allows those here illegally to become citizens in a process that is not too lengthy or expensive.

Susan L. Anderson; Tempe, Ariz.
--------------------------------------

State had no choice

Arizona is the victim, not the villain. The state needed major intervention, and the federal government wasn't helping. Arizona's action was a plea for help supported by many residents.

If the critics of the law who are living quiet and peaceful lives had to change places with those experiencing crimes and killings at the border, it would be a different matter.

I am comforted by the fact that the majority of those polled seem to support Arizona's actions.

Meanwhile, the federal government couldn't be bothered until it was forced to be bothered. That is a disgrace. Even worse are the boycotts. Arizona deserves understanding, not condemnation.

Ann Wilson; Arcadia, Calif.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/le ... 9_ST_N.htm