Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Migrant workers in U.S. protest

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 10:00 AM PDT

Thousands of people have marched in protest over a leaked White House proposal that would require illegal immigrants to pay thousands of dollars to become legal US residents.

Thousands of people have marched in protest over a leaked White House proposal that would require illegal immigrants to pay thousands of dollars to become legal US residents.

About 15,000 protesters gathered in downtown Los Angeles on Saturday, with some carrying signs that read "Amnesty Now!" while others passed the US flag over their heads.
    "People are really upset," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, president of the Los Angeles-based Latino Movement USA, one of the several organisers of the rally.

"For years, the president spoke in no uncertain terms about supporting immigration reform ... then this kind of plan comes out."

Visa plan

A draft plan by the White House, leaked last week, calls for a new "Z" category visa that would allow illegal immigrant workers to apply for three-year work permits that would be renewable indefinitely, but would cost $3,500 each time.

"Charging that much, Bush is going to be even more expensive than the coyotes," said Armando Garcia, a protester, referring to the smugglers who transport people across the Mexican border.

To get a permit and become legal permanent residents, illegal immigrants would have to return to their home country, apply at a US embassy or consulate to re-enter legally and pay a $10,000 fine.

Critics of the proposal, which include Hispanic advocacy groups and unions made up of a large number of immigrants, argue the cost of work permits and the green card application, which could total more than $20,000, is prohibitive for low-wage earners.

Growing fears

Alfredo Gonzalez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who marched on Saturday with his wife and daughter, said he feared the immigration raids occurring across the country.

"If they kick me out, who is going to take care of my daughters? The government? I don't think so," he said. "We need full legalisation and need it now."

The recent proposal is more conservative than one passed by the senate last year, that would have allowed many of the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to stay in the US, work and apply to become legal residents after learning English.

They would also have been required to pay small fines and back taxes and clear a background check.

But the plan was unpopular with the then Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.p ... 8100045699

Oh the cues that can be derived from some fairly simple text...

"If they kick me out, who is going to take care of my daughters? The government? I don't think so," he said. "We need full legalisation and need it now."
    The author is either not from the US, or learned their English elsewhere - as in the UK, Australia, etc.

And, if you bother to take a look at the source article posted on the web, you'll see that the attribution for the contributor is 'Anonymous'.

Protest away - doesn't bother me in the least. Usually, it just helps our cause.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

About 15,000 protesters gathered in downtown Los Angeles on Saturday, with some carrying signs that read "Amnesty Now!" while others passed the US flag over their heads.
    "People are really upset," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, president of the Los Angeles-based Latino Movement USA, one of the several organisers of the rally.
    Which people are upset?

If I'm not mistaken, the only PEOPLE that count in this debate are AMERICAN CITIZENS.
    Last time I checked, the American government answers to & owes allegience to no one but the American people.

Any others need to be UPSET with their own country's governments.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Where else but in America would anyone have the kahuna's tp pull this crap

Only in the United States!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

In every call and letter..........ASK WHY AMERICAN ELECTED OFFICIALS ARE LISTENING TO FOREIGN LOBBYISTS

Let's back them all against the wall! They truly believe that Americans are not aware of the goings on in Congress. We are learning very quickly and they now need to understand that their backroom deals are no longer hidden from view.

CONGRESS..........we're coming to get YOU!!