Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Migrants’ money goes a long way in Mexico

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13388104/

Mexicans enjoy fruits of their American labor by building mansions at home

Updated: 5:42 p.m. ET June 17, 2006
    BOYE, Mexico - Clementina Arellano grew up with her six brothers in a shack in this dusty Mexican hamlet. Now 42, she’s raising her sons in a spacious, 10-room mansion with Roman-style pillars at the doorway and a garden full of flowers and singing birds.

How did she transform her fortunes so dramatically? By waiting tables and sweating in a furniture factory for about 10 years in Hickory, N.C., and sending home up to $500 a month.

A couple of doors down, Berta Olgin, lives under a leaky roof, with skinny sheep gnawing at sparse patches of grass in her yard. Her sons all decided to stay in Mexico to work as farmers or laborers, earning about $10 a day.

The two women are a vivid illustration of why so many Mexicans head north from this arid valley in central Mexico. Those who make it to the U.S. send dollars to carve out a Mexican dream between gnarled cacti and jagged rocks. Those who stay behind condemn another generation to a life deprived of material privileges.

This is the reason millions of men and women risk their lives crossing deserts and rivers to sneak into the United States, and keep at it even as lawmakers in Washington argue over a sweeping crackdown.

'Money to burn'
    Olgin, 67, is growing old surrounded by family, a pleasure that may be denied to many whose children have left. But sometimes she regrets her own children didn’t join the exodus.

“I see that some people around here have got money to burn,” she said, looking enviously across a dirt street at a group of workmen finishing the home of a man working in Hickory.

Last year, Mexican migrants sent home a record $20 billion, making them Mexico’s biggest foreign earner after oil, according Mexico’s Central Bank. In the first four months of this year, the amount was $7 billion, a 25 percent increase over the same period last year.

Half of it flows into poor villages like Boye, a corn-growing community of 900 people founded by Otomi Indians long before Europeans came to the Americas.

The men and women of Boye began heading north around 1990, after farm prices slumped. The U.S. economy was soon to enter its longest peacetime boom, and over the next 15 years, Boye sent more than 300 people over the border, mainly to North Carolina, town officials say.

Their dollars are seen everywhere in sun-soaked Boye. The schoolhouse, village church and even the paved main streets were built with funds from “el Norte,” sent by migrant clubs in the U.S. that collect donations from former residents.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

This should say" Ill gotten gains buy life of ease in third world country"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Mexican migrants sent home a record $20 billion, making them Mexico’s biggest foreign earner after oil
    Now.....doesn't that do your heart good? They make it here, send it there, we pay for their health, education etc. ...and they want MORE!!!

There's no reason but greed and corruption that keeps that country from being just as successful as this one.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have heard and hear more and more of this from the legals south of the border that is their plan. Many of them say the same thing. Their families from south of the border they send money back to are buying land and property. One of the guys in the plant says that he will be able to retire south of the border at 50 years old. He laughed and said where could he retire in the U.S. and live decently on he makes.

How many citizens of the U.S. are going to have a nice retirement in the mountains or a white sand beach with crystal blue water and servants after our government gives away the rest of our farm? Can anyone say Social Security is going to get me there?

I have your back but I think we are outnumbered.

Trouble

Heck no!!! They'll probably have my house reposessed and sold of to LaRazza for medical bills . No sandy beaches in my future unless I'm senile and having visions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)