Mike Cutler on Indiana Senate Bill 335
By Mike Cutler

It has been awhile since my last commentary. I have been traveling around the United States. On January 23 I testified before a hearing conducted by the Labor Committee of the Indiana State Senate in support of a bill that would impose penalties against employers who knowingly hired illegal aliens. The committee voted 10 to 1 in favor of the bill. I have attached a couple of articles below that address the hearing at which I testified .including a link to a video clip broadcast on a local television news program.

Additionally, I am happy to note that the next week, the entire Indiana State Senate voted for the bill by a decisive margin (37 to 11). Now it is up to the state assembly to take up this bill. It is interesting to note that the Labor Committee was the legislative body to first consider this important piece of legislation. As I have often noted, in the 1940’s the United States Department of Labor was charged with the responsibility of enforcing and administering the immigration laws of the United States. The greatest concern, back then, was that illegal aliens would do harm to the American workforce, undercutting wages and displacing our citizens and those aliens who had been lawfully admitted as immigrants and were therefore entitled to work in our country. While we are often told about the unemployment rates, we never hear a discussion about the underemployment rates. American citizens are often forced to accept lower wages while their expenses rise. This contributes to the increasing number of mortgages being foreclosed.

Today, many states and local governments are responding to the failure of the federal government to secure our nation’s borders and restore integrity to the immigration system by passing local laws to combat the immigration crisis confronting the United States, doing the work the federal government and the current administration won’t do.

On occasion I have quoted an author by the name of Homer Hickam. Mr. Hickam wrote an autobiographical book about his high school days when, during the 1950’s, as he was growing up in a town known as Coalville in West Virginia he became enthralled with the idea of space flight when he learned about the launch of Sputnik by the Soviet Union that he began building model rockets and winning science fair contests. Back then, the only way out of working in the mines of Coalville was to win a football scholarship. He won a scholarship by winning the science fair and, as the story concludes, he became an engineer for NASA and worked on the Space Shuttle. His story is truly inspirational. The film, “October Skyâ€